Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're still having a problem with Scooter being obsessive about everything we eat. When we eat anywhere around him, or even if he thinks we are eating something, he barks and screams and squeals and tries to get at the food. He gets plenty of his own food and we refuse to give him "people food". We have tried ignoring him, and also correcting him by growling "no", scruff shakes, crates and leash corrections.... and none of it has worked at all. In fact it's getting much worse... Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Try using a kong, stuff it with his favorite treats. I bought a rolling kong, put pieces of puperoni treats in it, he would roll it around and around until the treats fall off from that tiny hole. Get it from Petsmat, it works on Charlie very well. Every dinner time, I'll use it on him, keep him busy.

Charlie mom

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Charlie moms idea sounds good. Ours have finally learnt that they get something to eat once we have finished our meal. Never give in and feed at the table.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The kong is a great way to distract them while you are eating. And be consistent do not give in because then they know they can persuade you. Soon they get the idea that they will not get people food, until you are done or not at all. It is tough when they look at you with the beagle eyes, but be firm.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't remember the age of your Beagle...

Scooter has developped a bad habit. If he is young (up to 3 years old), the best way I know to deal with the problem is to avoid the problem long enough for him to forget the behaviour. You may try putting him in the yard when you are about to eat. When putting him out, make sure that you do so with a happy voice and gesture so that he does not see that as a punishment. If you decide to put him in another room, rather than outside, make sure it is faaaaar from your table as a Beagle has a good nose...
If you do this for a few months, you should be able to bring him back to the house first towards the end of your dinner, then, the middle, then at the biggining, and eventually, you will no longer have to put him out at all.
He will have forgotten his habit. If he does start again, go back to step one.

Now if Scooter is older it is time to show him that this is not acceptable by YOUR standard and you may tell him "NO, that's enough" in a no uncertain way and give him a time out. Never more than 5 minutes from the time he stops complaining about it. It may make for interrupted meals at the biginning as you should put him back for a time out each time he start again. Soon, he will get the message and we lie down pouting beside the table.
The main points of time out are:
1- be consistent, whether it is a family meal or a snak for yourself alone.
2- never give hiom a second chance. At the first sign of winning or barking at the table, take him away. If you tell him No once and then wait for him to start again before giving him his time out, you are actually reinforcing his bad behaviour.
3- remember that time out works well with children and it works well with dogs.

Finally, it is recommended that you never feed your dog while you are eating. Decide of a time for doggy meals before, or after your meals and stick to it.

Good luck and let us know how he is doing.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
You know, this is one area where I've never ever had a problem with my beagles so I can't offer solutions to right the problem.

I can even sit on the living room floor on pizza night and they will not approach the plate.

Maybe it's because all the dogs know they are going to get a taste of leftovers (and I mean just a taste!) every night so they just lay about waiting their turn.

Good doggies. GOOD doggies!

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Oh, he is just a baby! You'll turn him around in no time. Perhapse if you start putting rules in his life right away, he would know that you are his master and not the other way around... I know, it is so hard not to spoil such a pretty face! I always said it, baby Beagles are just too cute for their own good!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whats worked for me is once we are all ready for dinner that is when I give him his bowl of food. Mind you he will devour that in about 2 minutes but he knows he has to stay put until we are done.

Harley understood that but now my kids are getting into the habit of petting the dog when they go by him and he's starting to move around.

Best advise, stay consistant and they will get it.

Andy.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I never had this problem really with Abby but from my parenting experience I can tell you for a younger child that the thing that works best is removing them from the sitution and getting their mind on something else.

Abby (she's almost 2) does on occasion try to bamboozle food from us while we're at the table and when she does that we tell her "NO" in a stern voice and ignore her. She eventually lays down or goes to do something else.

Also, whenever we give her food it's always in her bowl...never feed them from the table, dogs don't understand why sometimes it's ok to do one thing and other times it's not.

If I were you I would try crating him before you all sit down to eat and once you're ready for him to come out reward him with something yummy in his bowl.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky actually will only eat while we eat dinner so he has never had a problem with this. But when we lived at my parents' house, he had to stay behind the line (carpet of the hall and tile of kitchen). He watched my parents' dogs do it and he just learned you had to stay behind the line or you get in trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts