Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long day. :sleepy: Spook was at the vet's from 11:00 a.m. until about 6:00 p.m. First he got regular X-rays, then he got a series of barium X-rays. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif He's a good boy, though, and went through it all without complaining.

The vet is relatively certain that the problem is pyloric stenosis.... in this condition, there is a narrowing (stenosis) of the pylorus, the region of the stomach through which food and liquid pass into the small intestine.

As for treatment, we'll keep giving him a semi-liquid diet for a few days and gradually try to work him back to dry food. If during that time, he starts regurgitating again, surgery will be called for.

It isn't a life-threatening condition which is a big relief.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm glad to see that you finally know what is wrong with Mr. Spook and that it isn't anything life threatening. Although, the possibility of surgery doesn't sound appealing. I hope that the liquid diet helps and that he's back to normal soon...with no operation required.

Give him some extra hugs and belly rubs from me and Jersey. And some beagley kisses too for being such a good boy for the vet. :raspberry:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.... good boy Spook!!!
Chloe and I are so happy to know that you are going to be just fine. Take those liquids, and slowly tell mommy you want the real stuff... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A big aroooooooooo from Chloe and a few gentle belly rubs from me :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Marlin might had this too if only he had gone through all these x-rays. Glad Spook is ok now, he is a good boy!
The vet did suggest liquid food in the beginning and slowly add on kibbles, and really meant slowly, divided the food into 4 times. So a meal would take him an hour! Poor thing, with our schedule sometimes we forgot the rest of the food sitting there! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Glad it isn't something life-threatening!

But it sounds pretty miserable, nontheless.

Hang in there Spook! Now that your mommy and daddy and the vet know what they have to work with, things should look up soon.

Sending extra belly rubs and sweet words from Henry and I.

~Denise

G

·
Sounds horrible but ever so happy to hear it's not life threatening. Hope things get normal for this little guy soon! You're in our thoughts!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So glad you were able to get a diagnosis -- the "not knowing" is hard to deal with! Can't imagine how they got Spook to drink all that nasty stuff for the barium x-ray ...
Lots of prayers headed your way that he will recover without surgery!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't ask how the vet got Spook to take the barium. Since he'll eat most anything, maybe he just lapped it up. :pukey: I almost gag while fixing it, but Spook laps it up like it's the best stuff in the world. :freak:

Thanks for all the good wishes. He feels fine, and is the same sweet Spook. We'll hope and pray that surgery won't be necessary, but if it is, from what I've read, the success rate is good.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I had a few minutes to visit the forum this morning and went straight to the T-L section. I asked about dear Spook's latest there before I came back here later and saw this thread :heart:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hey there, sorry Im late on this one.
I didnt get all the history, but heard it might be Pyloric Stenosis.

In human infants, this is fixed by a very minor surgery opening up the thickened band...in dogs, im not sure why they are treating it differently...maybe they grow out of it? Im a little curious to this.

And this can be life threatening IF the dog becomes dehydrated from so much vomiting, the electrolytes will mess up cause seizures and death...so make sure that he can at least take some liquids down.

Please give an update..Im late on the post, sorry, but want to make sure everything is ok.

Amanda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amanda, in defense of our vet, he would have preferred to do surgery now. I lean that way as well, my thought being if it needs fixing fix it. My husband is the one who nixed surgery.

I'm in the process of slowly trying to reintroduce Spook to regular food. Right now, he's keeping his food down, and has never had any problems drinking and keeping water down.

I'm keeping an eagle eye on him, and if the regurgitation starts again, be assured that I'll insist on surgery.

I'll keep you posted on how things go.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
aaawww poor Spook ... I have had to drink that nasty barium before and that is not fun at all.....

glad to hear that they know what it is and that it can be fixed !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts