Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far things are going really well with Scooter. He's a great puppy! I just have a couple questions for all of you experienced Beagle owners.
First of all, I'm very aware that Beagles LOVE food, but Scooter is obsessive about it. It could have something to do with his background, I don't know. We haven't given him any people food but he goes nuts when we're eating anything. If I'm sitting on the bed with a cookie, he's climbing up my arm and trying to steal it. I could very easily go somewhere else to eat but I want him to learn that he's not supposed to act that way. I've started clicker training him and he's picked that up really quickly. Mostly it's just for potty training right now, but he'll give me his paw (most times) when I ask.
The second question is, how do I teach him that night time is for SLEEPING, not playing. Last night was only his second night here, the first night he went out to potty three times and slept in between. But last night he was awake wanting to play all night long. I took him out a bunch, but he refused to sleep when we came in.
He's asleep now (yay!) so I'm going to try to get a nap now, lol. Should I just try to keep him awake most of the day so he'll be tired tonight?

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. How old is your pup? Puppies do play a lot and usually conk out at regular intervals. Where does he sleep? If he sleeps in your room is it in a basket? Normally once dark a dog will automatically curl up and sleep. Try to ignore him if he wants to play in the middle of the night, unless of course you feel he must go out to pee etc.You have to be prepared to get up early though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

Quote:How old is your pup?
The people said he's 6 weeks old. I know that's way too young to adopt a new puppy, but the people wanted the pups gone and they were being kept outdoors in the snow and it's very cold here.

And I just thought of another question... how much should I be feeding him per day? I have him on Chicken Soup For the Pet Lover's Soul, and I know he needs to be fed 3-4 times a day, but how much should he get per feeding?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi I have sisters that are now 9mnths old, but we've had them since 8 weeks old. We never had Beagles before, so this breed is all new to my family.

We too were amazed when they were little at how they never tasted something, but begged for it like it was their favorite. We have somewhat nipped that in the bud. We keep pushing them down and saying "no". Eventually they get tired and go sit down. The only time they get something is when they haven't begged for it and it is only where we don't eat. Like our kitchen we don't eat in, (only prepare food) so they can have a snack in there.

As for the nightime, we've also been through that. I'm at the point now all I say is "It's nite-nite time" and they know. You might want to try to crate at night. Especially when they are that small. They get the hint that when they go in there its time to sleep. Also don't let them fall asleep after 6 or 7 at night and by 9 or 10 they will be tired enough to go to sleep.

Hopefully this has helped a little bit. :wave:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I got my beagle when he was 6 weeks old as well. He was sick with parvo though so he slept a lot. When he got better, I found if I kept him up playing during the day and waited until about 9 or 10 at night, he would sleep all night in the crate. I feed him about 1/2 cup of food 3 or 4 times a day. My beagle has never had a problem eating too much though. He eats until he is full.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Six weeks is young for adoption, but since you have adopted him...

keep in mind that he just came from a litter with his mom, dad, and siblings. He hasn't learned the difference between "human" family and "dog" family. He doesn't understand why he can't play or act with you as he did with his dog family.

As far as teaching and training him...beagles are VERY smart but VERY stubborn. He will learn (eventually) but it takes you being consistent all the time. Try squirting him with a water bottle when he does something he's not suppose to do. Also say "NO" in a scary voice.

More importantly though, beagles absolutely thrive on positive reinforcement and positive interaction with their owners. Beagles try so hard to make their owners happy, they really do.

Pride him, play with him, rub him, give him a treat when he does something good, or when he listens to you as he should. Pretend whatever he did was THEE best thing in the world...like you just won the lottery..and he'll respond to you so much better than being scolded or smacked, etc.

I would also highly recommend crate training! We did this (well I did this) with Abby and it's been absolutely great for all of us. If you're interested how I did it, without barking or whining (from him or you, lol) ask me and I'll give you a detailed play by play. Crate training gives him his own "safe" place and personal space. It encourages their "denning" instinct and can give you a break when you need it...IE crating him when you go out to make sure he doesn't get into trouble until he learns better.

Also, don't expect him to be able to hold his urine for very long at all. Don't worry about the midnight/2AM walkings though because they'll outgrow them before you know it.

Also, don't puppy pad or paper train him as an alternative to going out. Once you train them to think it's ok to go in the house it's very hard to break that. It's best that he learns, right off the bat, that the only place that's OK to go to the bathroom on is outside. Teaching him the right way the first time is sooo much easier than teaching him the wrong way and then having to correct that behaviour.

Congratulations on becoming owner to one of the best dog breeds ever! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
By now I guess you've heard all the input from experts, and a lot more to come.
Welcome to BW!
I agree, crate training is very helpful. When I brought Charlie home, I thought I was going through a new born infant all over again. Getting up in the middle of the night just a tiny whimper, only mom would do that. Took Charlie out to the yard in the dark about 3 times per night, hey, I did not grumble nor complain, I even smiled when he did his business praising him all the way back to the house.
I hang a bell across the patio door and trained Charlie to ring it everytime he wanted out, it works miracle, he's still doing it.
Good luck!

Charlie mom

·
Registered
146 Posts
6 weeks old is very young. This last two weeks of his weening was supposed to be about socializing with his pack mates and having his mommy teach him right from wrong. Do what his momma would do if she caught him doing something wrong and growl at him. Show your teeth and growl in his face. Your pup will hopefully have gotten a bit of training from his mom if not enough and that is how she would stop him in his tracks. I thought it was silly when I got my second beagle, but it worked like a charm for any unwanted behavior and he learned much quicker than my first.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
I will pass on the age given my very strong opinion on the matter, except for telling you to be prepared for a pup that will enjoy grabing and nipping for awhile. When this come, talk to us and we can help you deal with it.
Obsessed about food? Isn't that what is ment by Beagle LOOOOOVE food? Welcome to the world of Beagles /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Regularly training dogs who have been "clicker trained in the past, with nothing left to show for it after a few months, I would also suggest that, unless you are absolutely sold on clicker training, you choose another form of training once puppy is ready to be trained. I always found that 16 weeks was the perfect time to start training as it is the age around which the dog has learnt to be clean.
At 6 weeks, puppies sleep a lot and plays only for short time. Typically, they play 1/2 hour and sleep 2. Until he grows up enough to be active for quite a while, thus using a large amount of saved energy, it is not likely that he will be able to sleep for long period of time. The best is to give him non squeeking toys to play with in his sleeping quarter so that he can occupy himself in silence when awake during the night. Although he should be fed 3 times a day, feeding him a 4th time late at night, right before you go to sleep will help him sleep. I found that a warm 1/2 cup of cheep or goat milk is very good for that. In any case, at 6 weeks, he should be getting milk (Cheep or goat opnly) am and evening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts