Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boyfriend and I are first time puppy/beagle owners. We love our pup already at 13 weeks he has quite the personality. However he is in the puppy teething stage, so my questions are:
At what point does the teething and biting begin to stop?
What should we expect as he ages such as personality energy etc etc...
Does anyone give bones to their pups and if so what kind/where to buy them?
Any advice or stories of raising a pup from start to finish would be appreciated. Thanks everyone for your time!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie's biting/chewing slowed down when she was about 6 months. She still chewed up things she shouldn't (like tv remotes and books and magazines) until about 16 months. She is almost 3 now and will sometimes grab something she shouldn't have if she wants my attention but really isn't destructive any more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was in such a similar situation! My boyfriend and I are Totti's owners. My boyfriend had a few dogs when he was younger but bad luck with them so didn't have them for very long, and Totti is my first dog. So I guess you could consider us first time owners as well!

Based on my own personal experience with Totti, he grew out of the teething stage rather quickly. To help ease his pain, we bought the soft bone toys you soak with water and freeze to help numb his gums. The biting he was a bit troublesome about. I'd say he was about 7 or 8 months when he grew out of that, but you just have to handle him well in getting your pup not to bite. We can't prevent him from chewing things though. You just have to make sure nothing valuable is within reach- he already broke three pairs of my mom's glasses!

Totti is going to be 15 months this weekend. His energy level has increased since he was a puppy. He's a very excited beagle who loves to run around and play, but he does have his lazy down time. Beyond 15 months, there are many BW members who can help you out with that!

We gave Totti the puppy nylabones to chew. He enjoyed them. We also gave him puppy milkbones. Any pet store should carry them. We didn't start giving him rawhide until he was about 10 months, which he doesn't even really enjoy chewing. He did love the beefy Dingo bones though. Now, his favorite bone to chew is a cattle hoof- he averages one every two weeks, and he'll sit for hours occupied by it.

I hope this info helps! Please post pics of your pup!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congrats on your puppy! Glad to hear that you guys are already in love with him! They suck you in pretty quickly, don't they

We have two puppies who are 7 mos & 10 mos old. The 10 month old doesn't bite us anymore but still chews other things... clothes, tissues, trash, etc. The 7 month old still bites us occasionally while playing and we've only had her for a month. When she bites us we'll say ouch! loudly enough to get her attention and get up and walk away if necessary. Sometimes I'll just say ouch! and pull my hand away and then when I offer it to her again she'll lick it and I'll say kisses, good kisses! in a happy voice. Lots of praise has turned her into a very kissy dog, haha.

Ours are still pretty young but I've noticed some settling down especially since their spaying/neutering. The 10 month old especially (who we've had since he was 7 weeks) has really picked up on the schedule. He's become a great sleeper and they've both learned a lot of words which has made it much easier to communicate. Some problems we are still working on at this point are jumping up on people, jumping up to the counters/table and potty training. Another noticable change is that they're becoming increasingly spoiled as time goes on... hmmmm

As far as bones go ours get lots b/c they keep them out of trouble! They get rawhides (pork hide only since ours has a mysterious allergy and we're staying away from beef), nylabones (flexible puppy bones, rhino bones, and the hard ones), pig snouts, and raw bones now and then. Most of the rawhide stuff you can get at any store, the pig snouts from smaller pet stores and the raw bones you can request from the grocery store.

Good luck with the little one. These two are my first puppies as well and raising them has been quite the challenge. It has been veeeeerrrrry frustrating at times and I constantly have to remind myself that they are still puppies and that usually when they misbehave it's because I am not clearly communicating to them what I want, not them just being naughty. Dispite all of the frustrations, though, it has been a very special experience to bond with them and see them grow to know, love and trust us. (Sorry for the long post!!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much this helps a lot. It's all about patience but we will be rewarded in the end with an awesome dog once all the puppy stages wind down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts