Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
me and little pita are having a great time together but i still have some questions.
first of all, i want pita to recignize the word potty when we go out and know when i expect her to go, im trying to say it all the time but it doesnt help.
second of all when i throw her a toy or something she brings it back to me but doesnt let go, im treing to tell her and take it from her but she doest learn.
and also just for the record i want to know how long it took you to toilet train your dogs..
thank you!

pita and doron

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke is 8 months and still has accidents in the house. Though I wouldn't really call them accidents, they are more like "on-purposes" because it was only in one specific spot and now that we blocked that room off, not a single incident!

It took us a while, but we knew eventually it would happen. Good luck, your Pita will get there, too!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Zookeeper:
Duke is 8 months and still has accidents in the house. Though I wouldn't really call them accidents, they are more like "on-purposes" because it was only in one specific spot and now that we blocked that room off, not a single incident!

It took us a while, but we knew eventually it would happen. Good luck, your Pita will get there, too!
This is why it is really necessary to not only clean the spot but also spray some type of odor remover from that spot. If he can still smell his own odor,that would be like puting up a sign that says "only use this spot to potty inside". Duke is getting mixed signals !

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marley is 7 months old. Was fully potty trained at 4 months, we got him at exactly 2 months old. Even before he was trained though, he only had a handful of accidents. We took him out ALL the time, or should I say, I did, not hubby.

With the fetch training, teach her to drop it by saying drop and putting a treat in her mouth. she will drop the toy when she sees/smells/ the treat and you put it right in her mouth when she does it. THen , she will drop on command after a while.

good luck

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey thanks everyone
pita has a spot in the kitchen with newspapers and if there wont be any newspapers she will pee on the floor or the carpet so i prefer that she will pee on the newspaper, how do i get her to think that outside is better?

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
That is exactly why I always advise not to "OK" them to pee inside...at all...once you do it's very hard to "untrain" that out of them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Take her out frequently and do not give her the opportunity to go inside.You might need to go out every 30 minutes.When she is out say her command word 'potty 'or whatever and when she goes praise and treat her.Do not go back in until she has been.
Remove the newspaper and clean the floor well so no scent remains.Biological washing powder is a good cleaner as it has no ammonia smells and will not encourage her to return to the same spot.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Doron, It takes a few good months to potty train them fully. So time and patience is they key here.
Try not minimizing the newspapers area gradually, until you finally get rid of them - all of this while taking her out as much as you can. She is only 4 months, so she can't hold it for more than 5-6 hours anyway.
About playing: you need to have treats with you when you play fetch (at first anyway). When she brings it back, say "drop it" (or Shachreri - which ever is better for you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif ) and offer a treat instead of the toy. She will get the point after a few times.... :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When Jersey was a puppy we'd tell her to "hurry" as we were training her to potty. As soon as she went we'd tell her "good hurry" and gave her a treat. It only took a week or so for her to learn that potty outside meant a yummy treat. We also made sure to use a word that wasn't going to be embarassing to be saying to her outside. Now if we're outside, I just tell her to "hurry" and she goes pee-pee. Just make sure that you always use the same command and give her treats and Pita will be pottying outside in no time!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Jen's ideas are terrific, though, I think Jersey is an exceptional Beagle...
Housetraining: Polly was close to 1 year, and Georgia was maybe 7 months--we got them around 2 months of age.
Accidents are rare now.

I wish I had the time to take my 2 to obedience class, but I just don't. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
We just drool over everyone else's well-trained beagles! And keep the bitter apple stuff nearby to shake at them when they misbehave. We rarely have to spray it anymore! They immediately stop barking when they see me even reach for it!! :biglaugh:

I hope that doesn't sound cruel... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Doron, "go potty" is the word is use with Shiloh too. Just always use it, like when you take her out, say something like, "Wanna go potty?" Or "Time to go potty." When she's outside, encourage her to go by saying things like, "Go potty now." "C'mon, let's go potty." etc. When she does it, praise her to the skies, and say, "Good dog go potty outside." She'll catch on. But it's just gonna take a little more time--Shiloh wasn't fully trained till around a year (although she was a slow learner I think :eyes: )
By the way, I stil say to Shiloh, "Good dog go potty outside." Of course, when she's watering a neighbor's lawn, I doubt my neighbors would agree with me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

·
Registered
509 Posts
I always say do a wee when Glover goes, this doesn't sound to embarassing when out and about as it sounds like do we?

lol (sorry had to make an input..) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

K

1 - 13 of 13 Posts