Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first, more concerning topic at the time is that in the last few weeks Ginger has been getting sick. It seems to be for the most early in the morning before we get up...she has woken me up around 5 before. I made her an appointment at the vet last week, but then she seemed better so I cancelled it. Two days later she was at it again...it happened for about 3 days and has stopped again. The last time she got sick was Tuesday morning I believe. It looked like she may have gotten sick in her crate while we were at work yesterday, but it just seemed wet. I couldn't tell what she had done...it wasn't pee, but it could have been just that she had licked or sucked on that spot. Note: my dog does like to get into and eat many things...she gets into the bathroom garbage during the night/morning if we forget to shut the door, who knows what she eats outside (although we have had an issue with her eating poop since we first got her...she has gotten a bit better though.) What do you think it was caused by? I might add that the days that she got sick it was quite hot out...since Tuesday the temps have been a bit cooler (80s instead of 90s.) Does heat ever cause a pup to get sick?

Also...does anyone's dog get what the call a reverse or inverted sneeze? Kinda sounds like an asthma attack... Ginger has episodes every once and awhile... I did some research online and mentioned it when I called the vet once. They didn't seem too concerned. What do you all think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yup...just went to let her in from outside and what has she done... eating poop again (I spoke too soon about it being better I guess!) You can always tell when she has before she even gets close enough to smell her breath...she knows she shouldn't do it and she has done something wrong. She wouldn't even come to the door when I called her until I walked out and acted like I was ready to play.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
From what I have read here, the reverse sneeze is common in beagles. I haven't experienced it with Maggie but have seen several posts here on that topic. You might want to check with your vet on the stomach problems. Maggie eats all kinds of strange things too but doesn't usually vomit. If your vet doesn't find anything, at least you won't have the worry.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Have you changed her food recently? If you have that could be why she is throwing up. If not I'd schedule her an appointment because there are a lot of things that can make them throw up.

Reverse sneezes are very common in beagles so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can massage her throat or cover her nose and she should stop.

Eating poop is very common for beagles and it's virtually impossible to stop. As for her eating trash and munching on other things do your best to keep them away from her, put the trash someone high, keep the door closed, or get a trash can she can't get in to to prevent a sick doggie. A dog with an upset stomach is no fun as you know and any little steps you can take to stop her from eating the not so good stuff will benefit you and her.

Is she showing any other signs of illness?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Suzy LOVES to eat poop! Every morning I have to go out with them, pick up the business and make sure she doesnt find something gross to roll in. I think she does it purposely though because she knows I cant stand picking it up more than once a week. :angry:
The reverse sneezing only occurs with suzy when we are on a walk during the day and she has been pulling. It is quite embarrassing but if we give her water it goes away. Also I bought her a harness, so hopefully that helps as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No...Ginger never showed and is not showing any other signs of illness. She eats, drinks, and poops just fine. She has just as much energy as she always has. She hasn't gotten sick in a few days, so maybe it has run its course.

When she got sick on Tuesday it had a bunch of paper and stuff in it from the bathroom garbage... Made me think that the main problem is that she is eating things she shouldn't.

She loves to be outside since it has gotten warmer out. Often times I have to leave her outside while I still sleep in the morning. If I let her in she just wants to go right back out. She likes to bug mommy's flowerbeds and other things in the yard.

Has anyone ever heard of giving a dog a little bit of yougart each day to keep her digestive track on course? My mom mentioned to it and then I saw something online about it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I give my dogs yogurt to aid their digestion on the Raw diet. The symptoms you describe sound more like drooling and panting in her crate. Some dogs can drool excessive amounts when they get warm or stressed. Does she run right to the water bowl when you let her out?

Reverse sneezing is very normal and I just open their mouths and they breath through that and it stops.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is quite possible that is what she is doing in her crate. We moved her crate into a room with air conditioning for the summer to keep her cooler while we are away. She does her normal routine when we get home from work...goes outside and comes right back in to eat and then she drinks.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts