Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another dog lovers group I'm in, someone posted that they have a black and tan short haired doxie who had a heat stroke about 2 weeks ago, even though he had access to shade and water and the temperature was about 70. Her vet told her that black dogs are much more susceptible to heat than lighter colored dogs, and that they should be kept out of the sun as much as possible. I'd never heard that before, and thought I would pass it on. Now the poor little guy has blisters all over his back which have become infected, and he's losing hair in spots.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
poor guy .... that sounds awful....

my vet often warns me about Sammy and my 2 shepard boxes mixes who are dark brown being outside for to long in the summer...mine enjoy the cool tile floor to the hot humid Florida sun anyday !!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've heard this for years so it really bothers me when I look outside and see Misty lying the sun in 90 degree weather. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif She's never had any ill effects although she's black, well now I guess she's almost grey. Since whippets require heat, maybe she's not as susceptible as other dogs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
This is also the time of year that ignorant people leave their dogs in the car, whilst they go shopping. A dog dies a terrible death within minutes in the heat.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Doghouse,

Leaving pets in cars is one of those things that just infuriates me. Anyone who does that should be locked up in a hot car with no way of getting out to see what a terrible thing it is.

Every year new reports warn people about leaving pets and children in hot cars, and every year we hear the sad stories of deaths caused by it. At least one child in this area has already died due to being left in a car. Then the responsible party said he "forgot" the child was in the car. Give me a break! It's very hard for me to believe that! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Another incident happened when a couple chained a child in a hot car, along with a couple of dogs, while they ate at a restaurant. What crawls into the minds of these idiots?!?! :angryfire:

·
Registered
124 Posts
My pups go out for about 15 minutes and when they get too hot they let me know...and the neighbors as well! Suzy loves to be outside but the dobi and pit mix are ready right after they do their business. In the winter I dont mind so much if they spend an hour or two because its cooler and they have to get a certain amount of sunshine because the sun gives them vitamin d and kills bacteria on their coats but during the summer I worry if they are out for long.
There are ALOT of people in FL that leave their dogs in the car, and babies for that matter. Its sad but happens. People will never learn. :angry:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I was worried about Caesar in his keenel in the back of the SUV yesturday as I was driving. It was a warm day and wasn't sure if it was getting hot back there, the A/C can only blow so far. So I rolled the back windows down to give him a breeze. He usually sits up front in his seatbelt harness but with his sore back I figured it would be better if he was in his kennel.

I don't understand how people can forget that they have a child or a dog in the car. Last year (maybe 2 years ago) there was a story here about an eldery lady who was left in a hot car. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif She wasn't aware of her surroundings and it was a passerby that opened the car door for her and got her help.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't believe people "forget" they have a dog in the car, much less a child. I think they say that because they think it's better if they just look like an idiot rather than an uncaring idiot! :grr: I agree with Sandy: lock 'em in a hot car with the windows up and see how they like it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts