Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spend a lot of time in the lower level of the house in the media room. The stairs leading to the lower level are hardwood and tend to be challenging for our dogs. Murphy has never had a problem going up the steps, but since we brought him home on December 23rd he has never gone down the 16 steps on his own...until tonight. We've always carried him down.

My wife (on a lark) decided to lead him down on the leash when we went down to watch a little television. He hesitated at the top of the stairs for a moment, then trotted down without a problem with the training wheels (the leash). I went up after a bit and he followed me up, again I put on his leash and he trotted right down. We praised him and he was clearly proud of himself.

It doesn't end there. After we were done watching television I came up (with Murphy) and my wife stayed downstairs in her office to answer a few emails. After a few minutes, I heard my wife give a yell (I was typing out a response to Jen-N-Jersey about scanners and hard drives). Murphy went DOWN the stairs on his own!

In the back of my mind I thought we might be carrying Murph down when he was 2 or 3 years old. But, with the encouragement that my wife gave him he now trots down the slick, hardwood stairs on his own.

He was so clearly proud of himself it was funny-my wife and me were both laughing with him when he hit the bottom of the stairs and was dancing around!

And to think someone told Caesar's Mom that Beagles were stupid. All we had to do was show Murph what to do and, after two practices he did it on his own.

Seems pretty bright to me!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am certain that with the right training, and a few practices, beagles can do anything!

Way to go Murphy!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Stairs can be scary things.....we trained ours to use them as soon as we got them home because Evan lives on the second floor of an apartment building. I love watching them climb up and down the stairs! It's so cute! From what I've gathered, they seem to really enjoy it. I'm sure, before you know it, Murphy will be running up and down that staircase just for the heck of it.

Good job, puppy!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yay!

JoJo's so funny when she walks down the stairs in our house. They're carpeted, so she has good traction. But she has this waddley-walk she does like she's swaying her hips. I laugh every morning b/c it's like a doggie fashion dance.

·
Registered
890 Posts
When Tucker was young we were visiting our parents. When you get to the bottom of the stairs you have to make a 90 degree turn. Tucker would fly down the stairs at high speed and try to make the turn. Of course he wouldn't make it and slam into the wall like he was using it as a guardrail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts