Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure in which forum this should be posted, but it's great news for animal lovers in my state!

Henceforth, an animal shelter will not be licensed by the State of Georgia if it uses gas to euthanize. :thumbup:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thats good news Sandy. Now all one needs is a total ban on the death cells in animal homes.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Sandy,

I read that and was immediately envious. Virginia shelters, some of them, still use gas.

Weren't the shelters who have been gassing since before 1990 exempt from the new law? Did I read that right?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Denise,

I just pulled up an article from the AJC, and according to it, a judge granted a preliminary injunction requiring the state Department of Agriculture, and Ag Commissioner Tommy Irvin to uphold the 1990 Humane Euthanasia Act.

Using gas has been illegal since 1990, but the plantiffs sued the state for failing to do its job and even encouraging the illegal use of gas chambers by the state's 400 animal shelters.

Hopefully, this will finally put an end to the gas chamber issue.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Sandy,

Amen! I saw where a PETA rep was happy with the decision. Although I am not a big fan of theirs, having their "seal of approval" on this ruling indicates that it is definetely a positive outcome.

Know what I mean?

(Hope Lil Girl is feeling OK today. Love her for Henry and I, will you? :heart: )

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
What a great thing! Congratulations to dog lovers and lobbyists in Georgia......let's hope the wave begins in all states. :woohoo:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts