Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just remembered something that has been stored in my memory banks for quite a long time.

back in 1994 i was working in tennessee, not far from kingsport doing ductwork in new construction. i was working on a house with an unusual feature in the garage that i had never seen before. after inquiring, i learned it was a toilet for the owner's beagles. it was a square about 5' across, built like a sidewalk curb, only it had little water jets in it. it had a big drain in the middle. on one side was a metal plate. when the dogs went in and did their business, they would step onto the metal plate, and the water jets would wash it all down the drain. the owner told me the dogs were very familiar with the system, as his previous house had one also.
have any of you heard of such a thing before? i never got to see it work, i moved on to another job before it was finished, but now that i have a beagle it seems entirely possible.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i've never heard of that before, but it would be a pretty neat sight to see beagles using one. I'm sure as food motivated as they are, one would be able to train beagles to use this contraption.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it kinda looked like this:
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/cheezyridr/beagletoilet.jpg

i had to draw it with paint because autocad would have been more trouble than i wanted. the blue dots are the water sprayers and the drain is in the middle. the smaller square is where they would stand to flush the toilet. it's a crude drawing, but i just did a quickie

·
Registered
582 Posts
Has anyone litter box trained a beagle?
We take Sadie over-night on the boat with us and have to wade (when it's warm) or row her to shore in the dark, before bed time.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: How about using piddle pads on the boat? Maggie is using them now since she has to go in the middle of the night.
The last time Sadie saw a piddle pad, she had it in a thousand pieces before I could get it laid out flat on the floor.
(She was nine weeks old, and one crazy little girl.)

I guess any kind of target that they will accept would work. One of these days I'm going to put some dirt from one of her spots in the back yard in a tray. Bring it along, and see what happens. Maybe establish a spot on board for her that she'll use. Then get rid of the box, and just rinse it overboard when she goes.
The kits for toilet training cats work on the same principal. (We were given one once, but never seriously tried to train the cats to use it.)

We have Maggie looking at us (prematurely) from both calendars, and hope you're both doing well.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Karebru We have Maggie looking at us (prematurely) from both calendars, and hope you're both doing well.
Maggie is having a mix of good and not-so-good days but she continues to prove how resilient she is and I am very, very, very grateful that she is still by my side. Thanks for asking!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Pops beag Duke had to use a litterbox until Pop built a stair
way & in and out doors thru the window well leading in & out of
the basement! (Complete with handrail) I might add! (Our elder
members might remember the pic's)! (This was during their 1rst
winter here in 1992) & was the worst winter here until 2008!
We are running out of places to blow or shovel the snow to! Ted
managed to get a new snowblower a week ago & the thing broke
down today! Thank goodness Jethro was housebroken before the
record breaking winter weather hit! Jethro is indeed an Idaho
beag as he loves the snow & manages to get around in it as if
he were a snowshoe rabbit!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts