Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few days Winston has not been charging for his food bowl at feeding time. When he does finally eat, he just picks at it, maybe finishing a bowl over the course of a half day. He doesn't seem sick at all, His activity level hasn't changed at all, and he still pees and poops like he should. He does drink a lot of water.
He usually eats about 7am and now it's 10 and he hasn't even touched it.
Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I know this may seem like an obvious question, but any changes to his food? We occasionally put some meat in with his kibble and the times we don't he's not as interested in his food. He'll still eventually eat it, but not in the normal 30 seconds if it had something good in it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely no changes to his food. I was wondering if maybe he was getting bored though. I am also concerned about how much he should eat. He's 8 months and close to 30 lbs yet the vet said he's not overwieght. He doesn't look overweight. I feed him 2 cups a day. (one in AM and one in PM) the bag says his age/weight should get 2 3/4 cups.
He still always seemed hungry.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Our beagles are about the same age and weight.

I think you're feeding him the right amount. We give Bodie 1 and a half cups in the morning and evening. Which seems to match is activity level. He's very fit without a bulging belly. The higher grade food you use means less you have to give him.

You said it's just been within the last few days. I'd wait it out and see how he does this week. As long as he's eventually eating something that's all you really need to be concerned with.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If his activity has slowed down at all or perhaps getting a little older he just doesn't need as much food. I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as he is eating some throughout the day and everything else still seems in order. I have four dogs and at some point every week one or another has slow eating days.

One other thing you can try is to add a little something to the food to see if it encourages him to eat. Warm water/a tsp of oil/water from a tuna or vegetable can...you name it. Maybe even a few cut up pieces of chicken if you are having some for dinner.

Keep us all posted. Hopefully it is nothing more than him being a little finicky for some reason.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
When Maggie slowed down on her eating and starting drinking a lot of water she had a urinary tract infection but it took a few days before she showed any of the typical symptoms.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Squeegee is about the same age as Bodie and Winston but only weighs about 24 lbs. I've always thought he was on the skinny side but the vet seems to think he's healthy. He usually eats 1- 1 1/2 cups per day. He free feeds and could eat more if he wanted to but has never been one to rush to his food. I don't think that not being a big eater is a problem but it is strange that it's started suddenly. I agree with everyone else, keep an eye on him and see if you see any other strange behaviors. Hope little Winston's ok!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Our beagles are about the same age and weight.
As long as he's eventually eating something that's all you really need to be concerned with.
I'm glad I have Bodie to compare to! I thought Winston was a big brute of a beagle until I read your post. I was afraid if he keeps growing at the rate he is he'll turn into a St. Bernard by July.

Thanks for everyones encouragement. I will keep an eye on his eating habits for a while. He still definately acts hungry, and he hasn't lost any energy at all. He finally ate about noon today.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We had this issue with Roscoe a while back. He has never been one to rush to the food bowl and tends to take his time eating. Unlike Cole who is just a maniac when it comes to eating.
Roscoe goes through his moods with eating. At one time he wouldn't even eat his breakfast but would eat all of his food in the evening. The vet did not seem concerned and told me as long as his behavior hasn't changed and he is eating at least once a day not to worry. Sure enough he is back to normal (normal for Roscoe) and healthy! He only ways 22 pounds but the vet assures me this is great and he is perfectly healthy.
I would keep a close eye though, b/c I know I worried like crazy when Roscoe started that. Its better to be over cautious, I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts