Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can just about handle the chewing and the not listening to me.. ever. I accept that when she is off the lead it is going to be a herculean task to get her back (having tried treats, sausage, chicken, belly rubs etc. to no avail) and that she wants to see what I am cooking and constantly has her nose sniffing around our worktops in the kitchen. But what I am REALLY having issues with is that she is still peeing in the house and she is nearly 10 months old.
I anticipate what some people are going to say so let me fill you in on the obvious stuff.
1. She does not have a urinary infection.
2. Although we live in a flat, she goes out side for walks plenty of times a day (730am, 1130am, 5pm, 930pm more or less).
3. I work from home so it is not seperation anxiety as she seems just as likely to pee on the floor when I am here as when I am not.
4. We don't crate train. We never have. However, at night she sleeps in a little area about 1m squared next to our bedroom, fenced off with a children's safety gate. During the day she is either in the kitchen, in the study with me or she sleeps in the hallway between the two.
This is driving me mad and I need a solution. We are renovating our whole apartment soon and there is no way I am paying thousands of euros for new floors only for her to pee all over them!
Help is very much required. Thanks in advance. Neil
This is really frustrating

·
Registered
896 Posts
I believe there are just some dogs that CAN'T be housebroken. I have crate trained for over 25 years and get good results with that. But I have a rescue dog right now that is a 15 months old, and he absolutely can't be crated-he goes completely bonkers! He urinates in the house around once every week or two. Just when he I think he's trained, for no apparent reason he will do it! At 9and a half months, your dog may accept being crated, but maybe not. I woulod give the crate training a try and see if the dog will tolerate it. I believe that is a valuable training aid. But as I said there are some dogs, that no matter what you do-they just will not potty train! I've seen it occasionally with cats also.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know some people prob won't agree but how about damage limitation. Do you think she would go on some training mats in a particular place.
It must be frustrating for you.. As it sounds as though you are doing the best you can.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks. But I really didn't want to hear that!
No problem-no one ever listens to me anyway because I don't know what I'm talking about! It's really probably because you fed her food with corn gluten or other toxic ingredients, she was given vaccinations, etc. Also, you need to contact and pay for an expensive dog trainer. They will get her to potty appropriately, answer your phone with perfect grammer, and do your laundry. You will feel like a complete ass because they accomplished all that with ease and a large check from you, while you struggled in vain to produce such a well behaved dog! Feel better now?:shocked:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dawna, after that post I think I might pee in the house.
It will be jolly hard work Neil but I'm quite sure you will crack it...
Good luck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Darling I've got 5 kids and my pelvic floor is still in perfect working order :D

Well neil if nothing else I hope your request for help if nothing else has made you smile.

I think from what I have read on here its about consistency. She has got into a habit of peeing. If it was me I would spend a couple of days watching her like a hawk with the best treats in your pocket, and as soon as you see her getting ready to pee make a shrill noise to stop her, take her outside and as soon as she pees, reward her in a very exhuberent manner and that way she links peeing outside to good things... I know it will be a few days of hell but worth it. I had to do it with Buddy and it did work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think you are in that unusual a situation. My puppy is almost exactly the same age and she is not 100% housebroken either. She pees on the floor often 1-2 times a day some days. It's not fun, esp when she jumps on a sofa and decides to pee. Just keep trying...I am confident that it will happen. I am resigned to it taking over a year. Maybe you just need to change your expectations.

Also, crate training works for us in that she NEVER pees in the crate.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Crate training has usually worked for me too. Even in cases where they do potty in the crate, it is easier to control because you KNOW where it is and you're not dealing with finding spots and piles in different locations throughout your house.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I never crate trained,what I suggest is try to leash her to you and watch her. Don't give her the opportunity to do it inside . It takes a week or two IMO.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can just about handle the chewing and the not listening to me.. ever. I accept that when she is off the lead it is going to be a herculean task to get her back (having tried treats, sausage, chicken, belly rubs etc. to no avail) and that she wants to see what I am cooking and constantly has her nose sniffing around our worktops in the kitchen. But what I am REALLY having issues with is that she is still peeing in the house and she is nearly 10 months old.
I anticipate what some people are going to say so let me fill you in on the obvious stuff.
1. She does not have a urinary infection.
2. Although we live in a flat, she goes out side for walks plenty of times a day (730am, 1130am, 5pm, 930pm more or less).
3. I work from home so it is not seperation anxiety as she seems just as likely to pee on the floor when I am here as when I am not.
4. We don't crate train. We never have. However, at night she sleeps in a little area about 1m squared next to our bedroom, fenced off with a children's safety gate. During the day she is either in the kitchen, in the study with me or she sleeps in the hallway between the two.
This is driving me mad and I need a solution. We are renovating our whole apartment soon and there is no way I am paying thousands of euros for new floors only for her to pee all over them!
Help is very much required. Thanks in advance. Neil
This is really frustrating
Same here my browny is 4 months old,n she to pee in house floor, n do.potty too, v bought pee training tray, now she sometimes pee in that but v HV to watch her a lot, potty hell is like hell if v take her walk also she don't go potty their she come home n do, she after walk if she diet, immediately after coming from out I put her in out balcony. N c if she go but my browny has timing prob usually her potty ting changes I don't know y. N she has habit the I serves her food on time, but she will not eat on time, she sniffs n take breaks n leave the food as such n eat the lunch in evening, n dinner late night, n breakfast at noon, I don't know y, I feed her good quality food, pedigree of chicken r meat, home cooked chicken, r boiled egg, evening snacks, n treats, on time only but she skips the meal time n do fasting.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
May I suggest that you start a new post or respond to current ones. You're responding to a post thats 8 years old.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok. Whatever you are doing isn't working. So a change in definitely in order. Here's how I train my dogs. They stay on a soft lead and near me in what ever room I am in. You want to catch, or prevent accidents. NO FREEDOM. they go out to pee and poop on a chain, NO PLAYTIME outside, until the job is done. Always use a command word and when she goes, reward her and praise her immediately. If she does not go, no free time. Back in the house on the lead, with you. Try every 15 minutes to an hour until you get the pattern. If she pees in the house, you should catch her, because she's on the lead. When she starts, grab her and run outside! Yes sometimes there's a trail. But they don't like being interrupted, take her outside, if she finishes, reward her and praise. Repeat, repeat, repeat...it works. Most people don't realize how much free time a dog gets, and that's when accidents happen. My dogs get no free unsupervised time until potty trained. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I take my dog out a lot more than you are doing. She might be peeing in the house because she needs to go more often. Pretty simple. You say you are taking her out plenty of times per day but only listed 4 times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We are fortunate in that we have a fenced in backyard. Still, I usually will go out with Luke just to make sure he does what he was sent outside to do. He is 4 1/2 months old and will still pee (never poo) in the house about once a week. Whenever he does I will immediately take him outside if I catch him in the act, just to show him what he did wrong. Most times it is my fault because I didn’t take him out in a timely manner. I suppose for those that live in apartments the pad would be the best option. But crate training is also important because dogs usually won’t soil where they sleep. Otherwise, my recommendation would be to take her out at least every hour. I know it sounds like a lot, but it might be your only option if you want to protect your floors.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I live in an apartment, and we have a (now 16 month old; adopted at 13.5 weeks completely unhousebroken) teenager we had since a puppy, and we never used pads. We took him out hourly, took away water ~3hrs before bed, took him out after eating/drinking, and woke up in the night to take him out. It's entirely doable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts