Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Last week I got my first Beagle Puppy (Had a Pug Before) and he is doing really good...I think.

A few things to point out:

At night, I put him in his Pet Taxi in my master bathroom, with the radio on, along with a blanket over the kennel. Is he's already tired, he won't whine and will go to sleep...On the other hand, if I put him in his kennel to run to the store, he won't stop crying/barking-even after 15 minutes....and for 8 weeks old, It's LOUD! He's fairly good at sleeping the entire night, the first 2 nights he was up in the middle of the night and wanted to play, and last night was up crying because we had a storm (thunder I think scared him)

Potty Training: Currently I have a pad/fake grass on my patio. When he wakes up in the morning and I bring him outside, he'll go on his pad 100% of the time, and around 70% of the time after he has a long nap. When we're playing and doing whatever, I turn my head, and there he goes going on the floor. So basically after sleeping he'll go on his mat, and some of the times during the day.. but usually he'll end up going inside.
Is he doing fairly well for only a week? If I catch him in the act, I have a loud NO and bring him outside, if he finishes ill praise him and give him a treat. I'm pretty sure im doing what I can to potty train him. (He won't go in his kennel which is a good thing)

My big concern, at 8 weeks old, he's pretty aggressive at times. He bites everything, and it hurts. I'm trying everything with him but it just isn't working. Every time he nibbles at me or the couch, ill say no and give him a bone or another toy, but he goes right back to nibbling at me.
Although, some of the time he gets extremely aggressive, growling and biting extremely hard.. No matter how many times I say no, give him his toy, he growls and goes right back to biting my fingers/toes....I'm very worried that hes being too aggressive with me, and isn't playing....

Leash training: I'm lost... right now I'll say, 'walk walk walk' and tug on his leash, and he'll walk and zig-zag all over the place. Sometimes, he always want's to stop and bite the carpet, and just won't walk no matter what I do. (He'll sit there and just stare at me looking cute!)

Anyways, I'm very concerned with his biting/being aggressive-whats the proper way to handle this? Leash Training-the proper way? Last but not least-potty training, is he doing good-advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
The first couple of weeks are rough, that's for certain! Do you have any real lawn at all or is the patio going to be the only potty spot? IF you do have real grass, use it as much as possible now. You are showing him where you expect him to "go" and it'll be harder to switch later. Take him out as much as you can to give him the chance to go outside. Also, I was told to leash him in the house if necessary so that he's always in your sight so you can catch him getting ready to go as much as possible. I know it's hard since you can't literally watch them 100% of the time. Treats for going outside is great, but give them IMMEDIATELY after he pees/poops. If you even wait until you go inside to reward, he won't get why he's being rewarded. He's going to have to pee a lot since he's so young, so just buckle down and stay vigilant.

I'm not the most experienced w/crate training, but one thought I have is to sometimes take him in the pet-taxi (if you can) so he associates the pet-taxi during the daytime as not always a bad thing. That's AWESOME that he sleeps in it at night so well! I didn't have such good luck w/mine when he was small.

The biting is probably just puppy stuff, but when he starts to get carried away, yelp loudly when he bites you so he realizes it hurt you (even if it really didn't). I read that will help b/c they usually don't WANT to hurt their playmates.

Just keep him on a leash as much as you can and he'll get used to it eventually. I know there are more sound ways to leash train, but since I didn't know real methods I just kept taking him on walks and he improved w/time. Beagles are "always on a trail" so trotting on a leash isn't easy for them, I don't think ;-)

Other posters here are much more knowledgeable than me on training know-how, so you'll get good advice. I know I've learned a lot here. Welcome :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Make sure you give him plenty of exercise before you put him down to sleep, a good walk around the garden (until he is vaccinated) or a session playing with a ball will help; take him out to the toilet after the play and then put him down to sleep. If he whines or cries just ignore him, eventually he will get the idea that it's ok to be in bed and that you will still be there when he wakes up. Like a baby they wil cry for attention.

Toilet training will take a while to master and sometimes when you think you have cracked it they will go and pee on the carpet. At a young age make sure you take them out regularly every couple of hours or so and also after play, sleep, eating and drinking. You are doing the right thing by interrupting when he pees on the floor and praising when he does it in the right place. Consistency is important, make sure you use the same place for the toilet that way he will get where he needs to go and if possible walk him to his toilet spot so he will earn where it is, how to get there and how long it takes to get there. He will be several months old before he gets full bladder control so expect the odd accident.

Don't worry about the biting, this is normal for a puppy of this age; it's how they play with their litter mates and it can get quite intense. I agree with the advice to make a sound when he does bite, pull your hand away after making the sound so that it is clear you are not happy to be bitten; they will grow out of it. Most puppies chew anything and everything; again distract by giving a toy that he can chew on, just keep at it he will grow out of it. I have found that my beagle chews less than a other breeds. When ours got too intense I isolated him the utility room for 15 minutes or so to make him aware that too much agression results in no play, it also gave him time to calm down. (Don't use the crate for this; they shouldn't see the crate as punishment). The biting also got more intense when he was tired so calming him down and then putting him down to sleep may be an idea.

Don't worry about the leash; at 8 weeks you can't expect much. Buy a cheap leash and cut it down so it's only short, leave it attached to his collar when he is around the house and where you can watch him. Let him just drag the leash around with him so that he can get used to it. When you do walk with the leash keep the leash held high above his head; don't tug too hard you don't want the leash to be an unpleasant experience, for the time being let him have fun with the leash and just enjoy himself. When you start walking outdoors things will become even more fun as he will be here, there and everywhere sniffing at everything he can in his new environment. Persistence is key; just go with it. Ours is two now and he still bites at the leash if we have been walking for too long; it's his way of letting me know he is tired. I also find that if something spooks him when we are out walking he will just sit and refuse to move, I have to physically lift his hind quarters up to get him going again.

You are going through the same things that most new beagle owners go through, don't worry about it. You will notice how much they change over the coming weeks and months; they do calm down but don't expect a compliant dog for a while yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awwww.... another black and tan! Hi, baby!

The only thing I have to add, which worked for us, was with the biting. When Frank bit, we would say ouch loudly, and stand up and walk away from him, refusing to play for a few minutes. It really didn't take him long at all to figure out that biting meant no playtime.

good luck!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
He's cute. Beagle puppies are so adorable. It sounds like he's a typical beagle puppy too. Good advice has already been given, and it sounds like you have the techniques understood. It takes time and patience. The first couple of weeks with a new puppy are tough and sometimes painful, like his puppy teeth. Keep on keeping on with the plan you have and he'll catch on quickly. And Welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys!

Like I stated in my first post, when I shower, I usually lock him in the bathroom with me (this is also where he sleeps-in his taxi) and he goes absolutely crazy.

I have a kennel out in the living room, but he hasnt been locked in there yet. He tends to go in there from time to time to play, but that's about it.

Would you recommend I put him in his crate, or keep doing my bathroom scheme with him?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would put him in the crate with something to chew on. And try randomly putting him in the kennel periodically so he will get used to it while you are there. That was something I didn't do when my dog was small and he grew to associate the crate with us leaving or bedtime and it was a mess to "undo".

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would put him in the crate with something to chew on. And try randomly putting him in the kennel periodically so he will get used to it while you are there. That was something I didn't do when my dog was small and he grew to associate the crate with us leaving or bedtime and it was a mess to "undo".

Good point!! We didnt' do much of this either, and I think it created some seperation anxiety.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yep, and we're still dealing w/SA-crate issues. If I could go back in time I'd do things MUCH differently.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Use the kennel or crate as a place where he can go when you are doing things that don't directly involve him but where he can still see that you are there. By doing this the kennel/crate just becomes another place where he resides from time to time and that he doesn't directly associate with being left alone. When you put him in the kennel/crate just leave him there, don't make a big deal of it and just go about your daily business, when you do eventually leave him he won't think twice about it. If he cries/barks/whines just ignore him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as he sleeps in his pet taxi at night in my bathroom connected to my bedroom, actually lock up the taxi when I shower, or let him runa round the bathroom and bark?

The kennel in the living room is where he goes very seldom-basically short naps during the day...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Start teaching Bite Inhibition now!
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_BiteInhibition.php

Put him in the kennel at times your there also so he gets use to it other then sleeping. Also feed him in there. Give him a frozen stuffed kong when you leave for the store or a good strong chew toy.

Do not let him have run of the house with out you attached to him via a leash. this way you will have to pay attention to his need to potty.

For leash training it's about treat and rewarding a lot for being next to you.

Your New Puppy

·
Registered
213 Posts
We tried many things to get Ally used to her crate, and nothing really worked... but then one day, she went in all by herself and took a nap. Ever since that day she's been fine if we put her in it. Weird.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone!

Last week I got my first Beagle Puppy (Had a Pug Before) and he is doing really good...I think.

A few things to point out:

At night, I put him in his Pet Taxi in my master bathroom, with the radio on, along with a blanket over the kennel. Is he's already tired, he won't whine and will go to sleep...On the other hand, if I put him in his kennel to run to the store, he won't stop crying/barking-even after 15 minutes....and for 8 weeks old, It's LOUD! He's fairly good at sleeping the entire night, the first 2 nights he was up in the middle of the night and wanted to play, and last night was up crying because we had a storm (thunder I think scared him)

Potty Training: Currently I have a pad/fake grass on my patio. When he wakes up in the morning and I bring him outside, he'll go on his pad 100% of the time, and around 70% of the time after he has a long nap. When we're playing and doing whatever, I turn my head, and there he goes going on the floor. So basically after sleeping he'll go on his mat, and some of the times during the day.. but usually he'll end up going inside.
Is he doing fairly well for only a week? If I catch him in the act, I have a loud NO and bring him outside, if he finishes ill praise him and give him a treat. I'm pretty sure im doing what I can to potty train him. (He won't go in his kennel which is a good thing)

My big concern, at 8 weeks old, he's pretty aggressive at times. He bites everything, and it hurts. I'm trying everything with him but it just isn't working. Every time he nibbles at me or the couch, ill say no and give him a bone or another toy, but he goes right back to nibbling at me.
Although, some of the time he gets extremely aggressive, growling and biting extremely hard.. No matter how many times I say no, give him his toy, he growls and goes right back to biting my fingers/toes....I'm very worried that hes being too aggressive with me, and isn't playing....

Leash training: I'm lost... right now I'll say, 'walk walk walk' and tug on his leash, and he'll walk and zig-zag all over the place. Sometimes, he always want's to stop and bite the carpet, and just won't walk no matter what I do. (He'll sit there and just stare at me looking cute!)

Anyways, I'm very concerned with his biting/being aggressive-whats the proper way to handle this? Leash Training-the proper way? Last but not least-potty training, is he doing good-advice?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Oh where do I start... im a puppy survivor. Sounds like you've never had a puppy before. I suggest you read all you can on puppy behavior. You can also search on this forum using keywords like biting, food, crate, Leash.. etc.
Biting is Not aggression..its a puppy stage that lasts a few months. Dont scold or spank..if your puppy was with the litter the mom would curb that. Its also a teething time. Put the food cupped in your hands and feed your dog..your dog will bond with you and not bite..ever hear...dont bite the hand that feeds you. Also dont over excite with play..they get bitey. And dont sit on the floor to play. Good that you say No and give a chew toy. This phase will pass Puppies are babies and will whine and bark. Do keep up the crate training..my dog is 8.9yrs old and still loves her crate. She'll go in on her own and still sleeps in it on her own without even closing the door now. Are you in an apartment? Is that why youre using fake grass and pads?
Beagles are pullers on a leash because its all about the nose following a scent. Also keep in mind beagles are NOT off leash dogs..they will run away every time. Get a good comfortable harness for your dog.
Here's cassie in her crate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a 4 month old pup named Luke and he can be a handful. Beagle pups need lots of attention...and training. However, they are a joy to have around. We have an older Corgi mix and, although Luke loves to harass her, she puts him in his place if he gets too aggressive with her. But I believe it is good to have another well trained dog around to set an example for the puppy.

Luke is actually pretty good on a leash for his age. First, never allow him out the door until you go first. We also keep the leash short which forces him to stay beside you rather than allowing his nose to stay low to the ground. When he get distracted a quick pull on the leash will redirect him. Finally, I recommend taking some mini bite treats on the walk and when your puppy is walking beside you like you want with reward him and re-enforce with a “good boy”.

Leash training is very important for Beagles. First, they love walks and, secondly, they need to burn all that energy. It also makes things easier for the owner because, once tired, Beagle are much easier to deal with in the home.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts