Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard the recommended age to take a puppy home is 8 weeks although ive seen some breeders sell them at 6 weeks? Anyways my step-sister was just given a 7 week old beagle puppy and i was wondering if we were going to run into any behavioral or health problems at 7 weeks? Or is that an "ok" age?

if so, is there anything we can do?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
7 weeks is fine. It's a good age to take a puppy home and start exposure. In order for the puppy not to be timid and inscure, you should work on getting him/her used to different noises, sights, smells, people (all colors, sexes and sizes), and anything else you can think of. It will help a great deal in the future, when you take him/her to a new surroundings and have to "fight" him to remain calm.

btw - Welcome /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grr.gif. What's the puppies name? How did you/your sister get him? Tell us a little in the Introductions section.

We also love pictures /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It depends on what part of the world you are from. In the UK no responsible breeder would let a beagle puppy leave it's mother before 8 weeks and most prefer to wait until 9 weeks.

Having said that as long as you start all the right exposure and socialization like Chloe's mom suggested you should be ok.

One thing that a pups mother teaches her puppies is "bite inhibition" which means how hard/often they can play bite before getting scolded. The longer a pup stays with its mother the better they learn this. Pups taken from their mother too young can be rather bitey and humans have a harder job of teaching bite inhibition than dogs do. So this is one thing you might want to watch for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for your responses.

i'll be sure to post all that information including pics in the introduction section when i get a chance.

the bite inhibition worries me a bit, is there a solution to train the puppy this yourself? if so, what is it?

also, ive heard beagles are quite the howlers, are there any tips to calm this down a bit?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Don't be too worried Johnny because puppy may be ok and not be too bitey but if he is when he nips your hand (which is the part they normally go for) say a loud "Ouch" like you have been hurt and walk away and ignore puppy for a few minutes. They get the message soon enough if you are consistent.

Yep beagles can be howlers but not all, some are very quiet. I've got a howler and a quiet one.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I never let my pups be adopted before they're 8 weeks old - and prefer to wait until they're 9-10 weeks, but many buyers want them earlier. They do need the extra training and socialization they get from their moms.

Yes, beagles CAN be howlers - most of mine will "bay" if I'm in another part of the house and they can hear me. If one starts they all join in. I love it, but neighbors aren't quite so happy with the singing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It is preferable to wait until 8 weeks, but both of our labs were close to 7 when we got them and we didn't have any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts