Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree again, what a doll face, but as in teh other post-please PLEASE be kind to that little pup, the second day video was kinda sad, getting flicked like that, and spun around. Poor puppy. Just wants snuggled and taken for walks.

Looks to me like the pup is in that stage of sleeping a lot still, how old is it? I bet he wants to rest quite a bit and will go thru a growing spell now. they love to chew on things and are so much fun at that age!

Good luck with your beautiful beagle. what a doll, treat it like the beauty it is!
Judi and the gang

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jdetmering:
I agree again, what a doll face, but as in teh other post-please PLEASE be kind to that little pup, the second day video was kinda sad, getting flicked like that, and spun around. Poor puppy. Just wants snuggled and taken for walks.

ditto on that, lovely face, looks like he is looking for mommy. A puppy needs to be loved, it is not a piece of toy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry About my Sister's flicking actions!
Yap, This cute lil' thing does not stop chewing things! even my shoes! :hi:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Im sorry to say this, but I was watching this cute pup's video with my fiancee, and we are both quite upset at the second video, given that we have an adult beagle who was abused as a puppy, I could NOT imagine ever showing anything but utter love to this puppy.

Please be kind, learn what a puppy needs to turn into a great companion, learn how to discipline and NOT punish, NEVER hit or use any physical action against a dog that is not out of love.

Please educate yourselves!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Lovely looking dog but please dont flick fingers or hands in its face,and make it tense up and scared like it is in the video

you dog will end up hand shy and be terrified by people going any where near its head or mouth, thats when you get a biting dog, which near children would be horrible.

You would not like someone flicking your face. Your dog is a baby, and needs love and respect!! You would not treat a human baby like that

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm sorry to say this but I echo what others have already said.

Very cute pup indeed, what puppy isn't, but the second video upset me and made my heart thump in my chest....no wonder puppy ran off at the end of it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having read all the previous posts Ive decided that I wont bother looking at either of the videos....the thought of what ive read in the posts makes me sick to the stomach.

Such a beautiful puppy tho' deserves to be loved and respected as such.

Angela

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
We don't mean to be harsh or insulting, Carlito. It's just that many of us have had experiences with rescued dogs who were not treated well as puppies, and grew into shy fearful adult dogs. Astro is such a cutie, and it's obvious that you love him. But please remember that he is a growing baby, mentally as well as physically. The experiences he has at this stage of his development will leave an impression for a long, long time. May I suggest going to a bookstore or your local library and getting some books on caring for a young puppy. Good luck to you and Astro!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Biting dog!
I thought that chewing things and licking my fingers were just games to Astro. But When I read 'imagine a biting dog near ppl' I really felt so upset.
What can I do? I bought Astro pets toys and everything, but my hands are his favorite chewing thing!
Astro still being a pup! HE just has born Feb 2nd! So I can teach him the good and bad actions. Any Idea?
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm apologize, Showing my sister's flicking actions was not my porpuse, I just wanted that everyone could see my pup. I love it as a family member! I didnt know that cuties like this Grow extremely fast! now Astro is so BIG! oh I miss that lil' thing!

Is so sweet that you guys take an excelent care of your 'kids'! I'll follow your steps! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
ref the puppy biting and mouthing it is normal puppy behavior. the idea is that the puppy in time will learn to mouth or bite without putting any pressure into the bite - called bite inhibition.

To discourage my puppy from biting when she nipped my hand I pulled it away fast and yelped like a hurt puppy (this is what happens in a litter, if a pup bites a litter mate too hard, the pup thats bitten yelps in pain and the pup learns that biting causes pain and should not do it)

If the yelping does'nt work, give a firm "No" dont touch the pup, use closed off body language and turn sharply away, the pup should get the message that you dont want to play and should leaarn in time to stop.

My puppy who is now 19 weeks has stopped biting but learned early on not to do it. be consistant.

I would not crate pup as a punishment as you need the crate or bed to be a place where the pup feels secure not a place of punishment.

Just be patient and loving

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Hellen Louise:
I would not crate pup as a punishment as you need the crate or bed to be a place where the pup feels secure not a place of punishment.

Just be patient and loving
That's a good point about the crate. It's good for the puppy to have something as a little "den", a place where he can go and be by himself and feel secure. If you put him in the crate as a punishment he won't think of the crate as a hppy place.
Chewing and biting is a puppy thing. He's probably teething now. I remember hearing of wetting a washcloth and freezing it, then giving that to chew on. When Astro nips you say "no bite!", cross your arms so he can't get to your hands and turn your back (just for a moment). Then offer him something else to chew on. He'll outgrow the biting.
Yes, it's amazing how fast puppies grow. My Shiloh is 10 years old now; when I see all these baby pictures it's hard for me to remember when she was that small. Enjoy!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts