Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.

I'm new to this forum. Just adopted the most adorable beagle a month and a half ago. (so she was 4 1/2 months). We got her from a rescue centre, her mum had wandered away from home and came home with 10 puppies in her belly.... so they went to the shelter, and I now have Penny.

My BIG question has to do with behaviour. She's a sweetheart, really. but I'm dealing with all the usual puppy issues.... chewing (i can handle that one), peeing in the house....(frustrating, but slowly getting better, I think), digging... ugh.... leash pulling.. phew.

I should also note that I have five year old twins, so life is a bit busy. I am taking Penny to training classes... she's VERY good when we're there.... but not so attentive at home ;0 sit and down are mastered.

I am concerned that I am not doing things 'right'. Our last dog we rescued (a mutt) at 6 years old, so she had different 'issues'. we never crate trained her because she was terrified of them. Penny, on the other hand, has a crate. She goes in it when I'm out (no longer than 3 hours max), and when life gets a little too crazy with kids and company and I can't keep an eye on the 'chew master'. I'm worried that I will use the crate as a place to put her when she's driving me nuts... being naughty. FOR EXAMPLE. I just had her do a pee and a poo outside... so i let her down into our basement (which is usually blocked off for her), she came and was okay for a while.. then did a PEE, so i quickly hustled her outside.... after cleaning up the pee (i go through a lot of paper towel), I look outside and she's digging to china. I grabbed her and she went into her crate. I know (i really do know) that I shouldn't' use it as punishment... but she does settle down in there, and she can't get into any trouble. the only other place in the house that would be 'safe' is the laundry room down in the basement, and i feel that's too far away from everyone and she'd be upset and scared if she's put down there as a 'time out'.

I'm not sure what I'm really asking (apart from writing a novel). I guess I'm just hoping someone reads my story, and has sympathy, or some advice ;)

Jenn & Penny.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this too and wish I'd found this site a year ago when I was at my wits end. Your situation sounds nearly identical to my own. We rescued a puppy at 7mths, I have twins (6yr old boys), my previous dogs were border collie crosses and I'd never crate trained a dog in my life!

Sorry, I can't really contribute much on expert advice, only what we've experienced, but I'm sure you will get some expert help and support here. I do know that our Roxy has certainly calmed down since we first got her (nearly a year this month), so there should be light at the end of the tunnel.:)

I'm sure they say that you should not punish a dog by putting it in the crate as it should be seen as a happy place, but we have put her in sometimes (like the naughty step - for a minute or two) and it certainly worked for us. Roxy loves her crate (goes in and out during the day) and as you say she escapes there for some peace from the kids. Its in the kitchen, so we tell her to go to bed while we are eating which stops her stealing from the kids, although the door is open. I don't think it should be used for wetting/pooing instances though as she is still very young and it will take time for her to be housetrained. Roxy still wees if she gets excited! I don't think the basement is a good idea, can you move the crate somewhere in the house where she can still see you but not be in the way? For "pulling" we noticed that Roxy was bare under the collar from the previous owner choking her, so we quickly changed to a harness and this has worked a treat. For digging outside in the garden, we have a metal stake with a long leash that she is clipped too which is out of reach of the grass. When she's good, she gets off to run around. Digging can also be deemed as instinct though but it can be annoying if this is your lawn!

The moral of the story is YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! Welcome to the beagle family.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Chewing- give her proper things to chew and redirect bad chewing with good shewing. Bones, stuffed kongs, frozen puppy chews, deer antlers ect.

Peeing in the house- that is all on you. If she pees it's a totaly natural behavior. It's up tio the human to ensure the proper potty area adn place. That means outside allot. reward with a 15+ minute walk for good potty behaavior and ignoreing accidents unless in the act were you can pick pup up and take outside.

Leash to you at all times or crate when you can not.

Leash pull, just stop. It's not so much abotu a long walk right now it's about letting her sniff and not letting her pull.

Whole Dog Journal - Puppy Training & Nutrition

Raising A Puppy | Dog Star Daily

Basic Manners & Obedience | Dog Star Daily

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dog was just like this. My dogs crate has blankets, pillows, and fun toys she loves. She has no problem going in or out of it. She goes in when ever we ask her to, and when she feels like it. It also has a cover over it for nap time.

The peeing was really bad. One day she peed in front of my parents room and my dad stepped in it. My dad is a short tempered & scary guy.. i am angry to say that he rubbed her face in it and screamed at her... I do not recommend this. I was not there when it happened. I will say she has never peed in the house since.

Digging my mom would give her a light spanking on her bottom, and say NO! She eventually stopped.

On the leash we would practice in the pack yard with treats. The treats are to grab her attention and then you kind of phase them out of training.
I am sure youtube has videos on it. BEAGLES are beagles so they will always sniff around.

I went to the pet smart puppy school. I didn't know better. I don't recommend it, but if you can not find real trainers then they are ok. I really do recommend youtube they have great 'how to' videos on dog training.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all! I have ups and downs for sure, and my patience level has a lot to do with it too.... Anne-Marie, our crate is actually in the family room, and I've found that if i cover the whole crate, it really helps her to calm down. I never say "bad dog, and put her in the crate, so I think we're doing okay with it as an occasional 'time out' spot ... for all our sanity.

Brandypup! great advice, and if i had lots of time and no children, I would totally have her attached to me! ;) My brother did this with his boxer and it's worked well.

I guess I'm just surprised about the peeing... my previous dogs and family dogs were terriers and other types of mutts and labs... and after the initial few weeks, they didn't pee inside.... I am learning that beagles (and hounds) are just a tad different ;) I have now put bells upstairs, as she is good at using them to go outside when she's on the main level. hopping this will help. and restricting her area during the day too.

the pulling.... i've got this great harness, and it's attached at the front, so it turns her slightly when she pulls. working wonders. we also run with her a bit and that's great too... i've totally put away the 'extending lead' and am only using the 6 foot one, which is also good.

I have also just finished Level One at puppy training class... good lessons for sure. now teaching her a recall word that I hope will help in emergencies! :)

digging.... well. we rattle a can with coins in it. that stops her..... until she thinks i've gone in again, and am not looking ;) i think we will try giving her her own 'digging spot' and redirect her there every time she tries digging. problem is we have a busy chipmunk in the backyard who is creating new holes for her to dig up! ugh.

thanks again! I am LOVING this pup... but as all things in life ... marriage, children, work, etc.... it's harder than you think it is before you go into it! :)

jenn

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
DITTO,DITTO, DITTO!! Same story here...need I really say more. I thought it was me when I read training materials that say you can house train a puppy in a week. REALLY? I'm vigilent but still working on it after 5 weeks. My Beag can pee a river outside then come right in and pee again :faint:. My garage is filled with rolls of paper towels and I am going through them. I'm so happy to ready the stories of others. :read: Somebody tell me it gets better...pleeez

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi.

I'm new to this forum. Just adopted the most adorable beagle a month and a half ago. (so she was 4 1/2 months). We got her from a rescue centre, her mum had wandered away from home and came home with 10 puppies in her belly.... so they went to the shelter, and I now have Penny.

My BIG question has to do with behaviour. She's a sweetheart, really. but I'm dealing with all the usual puppy issues.... chewing (i can handle that one), peeing in the house....(frustrating, but slowly getting better, I think), digging... ugh.... leash pulling.. phew.

I should also note that I have five year old twins, so life is a bit busy. I am taking Penny to training classes... she's VERY good when we're there.... but not so attentive at home ;0 sit and down are mastered.

I am concerned that I am not doing things 'right'. Our last dog we rescued (a mutt) at 6 years old, so she had different 'issues'. we never crate trained her because she was terrified of them. Penny, on the other hand, has a crate. She goes in it when I'm out (no longer than 3 hours max), and when life gets a little too crazy with kids and company and I can't keep an eye on the 'chew master'. I'm worried that I will use the crate as a place to put her when she's driving me nuts... being naughty. FOR EXAMPLE. I just had her do a pee and a poo outside... so i let her down into our basement (which is usually blocked off for her), she came and was okay for a while.. then did a PEE, so i quickly hustled her outside.... after cleaning up the pee (i go through a lot of paper towel), I look outside and she's digging to china. I grabbed her and she went into her crate. I know (i really do know) that I shouldn't' use it as punishment... but she does settle down in there, and she can't get into any trouble. the only other place in the house that would be 'safe' is the laundry room down in the basement, and i feel that's too far away from everyone and she'd be upset and scared if she's put down there as a 'time out'.

I'm not sure what I'm really asking (apart from writing a novel). I guess I'm just hoping someone reads my story, and has sympathy, or some advice ;)

Jenn & Penny.
Hey,
Begale are well know for their bratt behaviour no matter what and anything you try they will do what they want . They will get trained for peeing and potty for sure but digging and chewing is something that you cant help in beagle. Beagle will eat anything and everything that fits their mouth. They need to be payed attention every four hour and they will start behaving a littling normal after mating. So give it a time and things will work out. Min. 2 years are required to get them calm. Good luck 😃✌

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Please note the original posts are from 2012. I wonder how the now 8 year old pup is doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts