Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Penny Puppington - Beagle Purebred
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle Penny is growing up.

Dog Vertebrate Dog supply Dog breed Comfort

She recently lost all her baby teeth, and her biting has significantly reduced. I’m a bit concerned about the frequent pee pee accidents in the house. I’ve been training her since at eight weeks old
to go potty outside. I don’t use training pads because I dislike the smell/sight of urine and fecal matter in the house. Plus Penny will probably chew them up (she destroys anything that is cloth or paper).

I suspect that the majority of time the accidents are due to separation anxiety.

Recently I took her to the grocery store and left her in the car for a couple of minutes, and she had a massive pee pee accident on the back seat. Prior to the accident I walked her about 30 minutes and she went pee pee on the grass.

it just doesn’t make sense. Is this normal behavior for a five month old beagle?

· Super Moderator
5,421 Posts

· Registered
6,550 Posts
I potty trained my dog constantly but she wasnt reliable until about 10 months +.
Many puppy owners on this forum over the years reported the same. My dog will be 11yrs old in a month and I monitor like a hawk. I make sure she goes out periodically since Im home. Dont believe all the potty training hype that you can potty train your dog in no time...sorry not happening. Even when my dog doesnt seem to need to pee if its been awhile I'll send her out to pee and she does...
Dog Comfort Carnivore Fawn Companion dog

· Registered
209 Posts
I wouldn't consider any dog fully potty trained until at least over a year old, if even then. Some take longer. My first beagle caught on quick and rarely had accidents unless she was sick. She was a rescue living outside so pottying outside was natural for her.

Continue with praise and positive reinforcement training at home. Make sure she is going out frequently, the bladder is small - even though Ally was sort of self-trained, we took her outside every 2-3 hrs until she was at least 9 months.

I'm not surprised she had the car accident especially if you think it's separation anxiety, so many things can scare them that young. Separation anxiety is very common in beagles and best bet is to be prepared. There are cloth mats for the car that are impervious (be careful of anything rubber-backed that she could chew) that you can get on Amazon, Chewy or any pet store to put down in the car.

Just a quick word of caution, if she's drinking a lot of water (which would make pee more) ensure that it's not a condition like diabetes. A vet can check her blood for high sugar levels. My beagle/lab mix had diabetes but it developed when she was 2 yrs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts