Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first time with a dog so I am very worried. Our 42 day old female pup( came home when she was 37 days old) is having diarrhea and vomiting from two day. She stopped eating and drinking any thing. Currently she is having Metrogyl suspension for a day but she seems really weak. Today there was blood in her diarrhea. I am not sure what could be the reason. Any inputs would be really helpful

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
First, why do you have such a young dog? Are you breeding?
Get the dog to a Vet ASAP. It is possible your dog has Giardia and needs medication to treat it. Make sure YOU THOROUGHLY wash your hands after cleaning up after the dog or you may catch it and will require treatment as well. Please let us know what is going on with your dog.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
Definitely call the vet. Very young pups can have so many things wrong. She is probably very dehydrated from the diarrhea and vomiting.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Could be worms, could be giardia, could be parvo? You really need to see a vet ASAP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We went to see the vet an hour after her blood discharge. She had Parvo virus and we started the treatment immediately. She was undergoing Intravenous treatment for each particular symptom she was having. Started with two different sets of IV and injections for the clotting (for the blood that was being collected in her intestines) , antibiotics, anti histamine and few others. In the 2nd sitting 12 hrs after (she had started looking weak from the vomiting, urination and bloody stool) gave her same set of injection adding some for stomach ache ( she was making sounds in discomfort). She looked very uncomfortable much before the 3rd sitting that was supposed to be 10-12 hrs later so we when in about 8 hrs. She started showing improvement in the stool and vomiting ( the stool is supposed to turn from bloody red to coagulated red to black to yellow to brown and vomit is supposed to have lesser blood then no blood). She had reached the coagulated / black stage post the third sitting which is good sign but her energy level really dipped . For the 4th sitting 8hrs later she was much colder than she should be ( about 98-99 F) and had very light breathing. Intravenous was very difficult because of low blood flow at this point Subcutaneous injections were given for addtional energy and steroid for heart function so as to help her pick up her temperature. However her stool was brown amd there was not blood in the vomit by now which was really good intestine recovery. We stayed with her In the clinic through the night and the doctor gave her the 5th round of another set of Subcutaneous injections 4 hrs later. She could not sustain the treatment and collapsed half an hour post that with a low temperature of 96 but fought very hard.

We live in Delhi, India and currently there is a complete lockdown nationwide because of Corona virus pandemic. She came home as a suprise by my father and I think there was much more we could have researched to be prepared for this. She was with us for 8 days it feels like a huge loss .We didn't have enough time to even name her but I called her Pumpkin. I miss her very much and wish I could have done something more for her. She was a loving and energetic pup who owned the house the second she entered.I never knew joy and loss like I know now.​

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. At least she was loved and cared for during her short life. Maybe some day you can get another puppy or adult dog. Do some research on this site, you can search for past topics.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
So very sorry this happened. She was very adorable. When all settles down with this world virus situation perhaps you can get another puppy. We look forward to returning to the forum. May you and your family stay healthy.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm so sorry Ishita. You obviously loved her a great deal and took great care of her. I'm sorry for your loss. Stay healthy yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm so sorry Ishita. You obviously loved her a great deal and took great care of her. I'm sorry for your loss. Stay healthy yourself.
Im so sorry, we went through the same thing with our 11 week beagle. Ours passed away March 27th after a week long of fighting Parvo. Hugs!!!!!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
So sorry to hear this, our dogs are family. Sounds like you and your vet did all they could. Hope you relayed your experience to the Breeder as they may have other cases.
Beagle puppies are so cute and lovable. Background research is in order, learn about a dogs history and source beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts