Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
For about 4 years I fed my dog dry kibble and some other soft can foods. Few days ago, I had to give him a pill to prevent internal/ external parasites. I didnt have to mix the pill with food because he liked it. The thing is I noticed how he had some trouble chewing it because the pill was a bit hard surfaced. Although he has good teeth and a strong grip (seen while playing with him), for me, it felt like he does not know how to chew and eat. That pill shouldnt have posed a challenge considering his strenght. So I read a few threads here and decided to give him some chicken wings thinking chewing is a skill he has to develop.
He was acting weird and he did not even know what to do with it. At first he hid it under a pillow and after several minutes he started licking it... it was a bit pathetic in a funny way.
Eventually, he ate half of it but it took 15 minutes. The other half lies around without posing any interest for him. Today i find a 2-3 cm piece of bone in his poop.
So i have a few questions.
  • is it normal for a dog not know how to chew because he was on a dry kibble only diet?
  • should i try to develop his chewing using raw meaty bones?
  • how long does it take for his stomach to adjust in order to digest bones?
Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've not had issues with dogs and feeding raw (though one didn't like seafood) with dogs, but I tried it with the cats once and they didn't get it at all.

With that said - do NOT feed cooked bones. They splinter.

Your dog knows how to chew, but raw bones are likely unfamiliar to him. Be aware though, raw diets take a lot of work to ensure they're properly balanced. And it's not uncommon for dogs to break teeth on raw bones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts