Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have not been on this forum in awhile but have been reading alot lately as we have just added a third beagle to our family and am wondering how many others have three dogs and how you manage with them all. Our new pup is beagle/jack russle cross and very sweet.
My son brought him home as he was in a litter raised for hunting but he was the runt and just to small to be left outside all winter. So it was not like we had planned for another or really needed another but what do you do??

·
Registered
13 Posts
LOL ! Thoes Jack Russel are kinda "wired" ...I know 2 owners who have them and they are active..Maybe the Beg/Russel combo will be milder...

Glad to see u and your son did a good think..

Cheers ..

Jac

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have three Beagles, two boys and a girl all recently altered. They all have identical crates side by side. All go out and play together pretty well, actually the girl who is smaller than the boys can pin either of the boys by jumping on their backs and then growling and barking in dominance.
When we walk them the girl is on her own leash the boys are on a double.
Really not a big deal with three.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have 3 dogs... except one is a beagle, one is a border collie and one is a retriever puppy! (And 2 cats and 4 horses just to add to 'zoo'!) Our house is chaos most days! I know it will get calmer when the retriever puppy grows up a bit more but at the moment, when they are all together, it's chaos!

Saying that though... they all play nicely and we take them out for walks together and they're great! Also the 2 boys (border collie and beagle) sleep together and spend all their time with each other so it's great! I don't think the jump from 2 dogs to 3 is too bad whereas we only had the border collie for 11 years then, in the same week, got the beagle and the retriever puppy!!

Good luck, I'm sure you wont need it though ! =)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, we went from one beagle, which we just found out is a beaglier( beagle/cavalier king charles spaniel mix), to 3. Added two girl beagles for Murphy to play with and it is a madhouse, but they all play together, sleep together in one crate, and eat together. I regretted getting the girls at first when I realized they were not as well behaved as Murphy, but since they have calmed down, gotten used to each other and their new surroundings I wouldn't trade any of them for the world. One thing that I have found out though with the three, at least in my situation, is if things are getting a little out of hand, I just have to remove whichever is being the most honory to "timeout", and the other two pretty much settle down as well.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I envy you people , I can't have more than one , here the dog deposit is 500/dog and the dog rent is 20/month/dog. And cannot afford the vet and the additional costs. Anyway it is a one bedroom apt. My husband and I , plus my son lives here for a while and my mother in-law is coming soon as well.:no:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I dont think its much of a big deal. all depending on how well trained the other 2 currently are. f the other two are crazy hyper, disobiedient ect I dont think adding a 3rd is a good idea.

We only have 2 dogs currently. My wonderfully perfect, best dog ever created, never puts a foot wrong (yes Im biased lol) rough collie, Blaze and the crazy 11ish week old beagle, soloman. In the next few years we will add a poodle.

I grew up with 3 dogs, 2 poodles and a rough collie. it was a nice sane house as all were great dogs (rip you 3)

sleep together in one crate
Id advise you to get them all seperate crates. It is not a good idea to house them all in one crate. if you are gone and a fight breaks out, you will easily have a dead or very injured dog. I understand they "all get alog" but so do my brothers and I, yet we fight as well. it happens all to often, I have read very often owners keeping more then one dog in a crate, and come home one day to find the other very hurt or dead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually we dont kennle ours at all. Our old beagle has the run of the house through the day and the other two are in the garage and at night the two small beagle sleep with my son and the beagle mix sleeps on her doggie bed as she is bigger and thicker hair and gets hot easy. They all love to be wherever we are. Puppy is pretty good and fairly calm considering she is jack russle mix. thanks for the responses, makes me feel better!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What wonderful pictures Angel!!!!!

Right now We share our home with 2 dogs, a regular cat, and a Maine **** cat. We have had more, or fewer, animals - it depends on who gets dumped at the barn or the logging road - or needs a home because they are 'too timid' or abused. We've never had issues with dealing with additional animals - as Angel says, as long as you work with them, they all get along.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Great picture! I have 2 dogs, never thought I would and it's so fun. But very frustrating at times. But it helps to train them sepertly and together. Have fun and kudos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning, I have not been on this forum in awhile but have been reading alot lately as we have just added a third beagle to our family and am wondering how many others have three dogs and how you manage with them all. Our new pup is beagle/jack russle cross and very sweet.
My son brought him home as he was in a litter raised for hunting but he was the runt and just to small to be left outside all winter. So it was not like we had planned for another or really needed another but what do you do??
Keep them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts