Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I’m looking for some advice about my beagle Fentons behaviour. When meeting dogs out and about he introduces himself by running straight up to them and barking. If they run, he chases and barks and growls towards their head end. It’s really frustrating as he is scaring the bejesus out of puppies (he is more likely to do this with puppies!). He will often put dogs on their back and not let them run, growling and chasing them until the stop/go on their back. Bit of background on Fenton: he has never shown aggression towards anything, dog or human. He gets between 2-3 hours of exercise a day and regularly (before covid) attends doggy daycare and has done since 14weeks. He comes back from daycare absolutely zonked. We walk him off lead where sensible and his recall is good. I have had owners pick up their puppy and have a go at me because of his behaviour, this doesn’t happen all the time or with every dog he meets. Often it’s with a dog who is playing already or with a puppy.
Sorry for the long post!
Here is a picture of the little devil:

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Good looking dog. Is he neutered?
I wouldn't allow him off leash in a dog park. If other dogs roll over to him it shows they're submissive to his dominance. In my area a dog attacked and killed another dog at a dog park and attacked the owner who tried to intervene. There are liability issues to consider.
My dog's trainers were a group of k9 Sheriff. They were firm about NEVER going to a dog park because dog on dog bites/attacks are vicious and cause big infections at the very least. Ive gone a few times until Cassie was "annoyed" by another dog and the owner did nothing to stop it.
Puppies are not mixed in the daycare group due to the size. Unfortunately i haven't been able to take my dog to daycare and yes she too comes home very tired.
I

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in the U.K. and we don’t have dog parks. Just parks. He knows when to back off dogs and won’t approach dogs on lead. I didn’t think dominance was a thing? Wasn’t it disproved as a theory recently? He will often play with the other dogs. Just annoyed by his barking and growling to get other dogs running. He stops if they roll over and after a few mins everything is normal and he plays normally or ignores them.
He is neutered.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Put yourself, as the owner, of the orher dog (s) he bothers... personally I wouldn't want to deal with the owners let alone seeing my dog be too aggressive. Im sure others may have good suggestions.
One day at the daycare one of the staff brought her puppy and cassie watched over it all day..no doubt some motherly instinct kicked in.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Xerxes is a rude player, so he doesn't get off-leash playing. He gets leash reactive too, so we work on the 'quiet' command and that really helps (he bays and lunges at other dogs).

If your dog is showing aggression, even if it's not common, you need to step up and not put your dog in that situation.
Neb's been attacked before in a mixed-use park (on leash) by a dog (off leash) whose owner says 'He only does that sometimes'. I was furious. Sometimes=on leash. Sometimes is not fair to the dogs who are attacked.

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
I would work very hard on recall using yummy treats. If you see other dogs try to get him on his leash. Our Oliver has terrible dog aggression issues and we work on it constantly. If he sees another dog, re-direct him to the treat and turn him away from the other dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts