Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here it is 3 am. and i am awake. why??? cause diesel decided it was time to get up. and this used to be normal when he couldnt hold his bladder. but for about two months now he has been getting me up at 12:30 to go potty (normal time). then at 1:30 and 2:30 and 3:30 and i dont know why. he always sleeps sound from 12:30 to 6:00 when i get up for work..

now i am sick with a terrible cold /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif could this be why he keeps getting up??? my mom thinks its cause he is worried about me but i am not sure.. i just want to sleep so i can get better but diesel is hindering that...

any advice or suggestion PLEASE. i dont know if i can get up with him another night

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
does he actually go potty each time he gets you up? You could discuss it with your vet. Don't give any water after supper. Does he sleep in a crate? You could try putting the crate in another room and cover with a blanket.

Sadie does this too. She loves to get up early, early and is very insistant. Sometimes I can get her to lay back down and be quiet. Sometimes not.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I was sitting her thinking about when Sadie and Pooh were little. Both were wild little pups, but Sadie was the wildest. I do remember when she would get up in the middle of the night I would take her and let her potty. Then back inside. I would tell her time for bed. Sometimes I would lay on the couch with her. I sometimes felt like I was being mean, but I would tell her No, lay down.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Maggie reverts to that behavior occasionally, but since she's prone to urinary problems, it's usually a sign of an infection.

If it continues, I'd check it out with your vet; dogs can get urinary tract infections or bladder stones.

If it's behavioral, then making him 'lay down' is okay. It's just tricky trying to figure out if it's physical or behavioral. Good Luck.....it's never a dull moment with our pups, huh?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Scout will get up all night if she is thirsty. We take away water around 7:30. And we give her ice cubes after her bedtime walk, but if she is still thirsty she will cry all night. We figured this one out the hard way. Its normal for her to cry around 2-3 am (but we wish she would sleep through the night) , but if she keep crying like 30 minutes to an hour after it means she is thirsty. So we give her some water, she is going to hold it until time to get up. I would try that.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe you could get someone to take him to the vet to rule out a health problem. Then, if all is well, maybe make him sleep in a different room. It could be he is getting into a bad habit.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy was doing that. Now I take up her water by 7PM and she's been doing better through the night. If she wakes up it's usually once around 3:30. I did have the vet check her for an infection and it was clear, so now if she wakes up or doesn't want to go back to sleep after she goes out I make her lay down and tell her it's "night night time."

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hmm.. i wonder if maybe you might need to be more firm with him. Arty and i have a good potty schedule now but sometimes right before we're about to sleep he'll act up, being needy and whining and howling as if he wants something but if i tell him "no. time to sleep!" in a forceful i mean business kind of tone he will relax. However, before I knew this, I used to get up and open the bedroom door to see what he wanted, and it was never water or needing to go outside. He was just being a pill. hope this helps...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya he never needed to go to the bathroom. when i let him out of my room to see what he wanted he just ran around the house. sniffing at every door and whining the whole time. i knew something was bugging him but i dont know what.

he sleeps in my bed. and if he has to go potty he jumps off my bed and whines at the door till i wake up. then he normally goes back to sleep

if i put him in a crate in another room he whines and howels. it doesnt bother me. but my parents hate it so i cant do anything to make him cry or wake up my parents

·
Registered
751 Posts
interesting. The bad thing is, the more you get up and cater to that, the more he will do it. Have to identify the root cause of this. Does he really need to go? If you feel he does not, ignore him. He will settle down and go back to sleep. marley does anyway.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Diesel's mommy does this at times too. I usually only have to get up with her once per night. Occasionally she will have a good night and make it all night long and then other times she is whining more than once. It is usually something other than needing to go to the bathroom that wakes her though. Either she is thirsty or if she wakes me up more than once it is usually because she has heard an animal outside and DEMANDS to go out to harass whatever it was. Rarely is it because she needs to go!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Sounds like he just wants to get up and play. Is he getting enough exercise in the day? A tired pup is a good pup.

We used to take Sadie and Pooh to dog day care several days a week. They came home exhausted and happy and slept through the night. (on those nights that is) he he

·
Registered
114 Posts
Scout is getting worse it seems. Last night she just kept waking up. I finally had to put her crate in a room across the house so I could close enough doors to not hear her cry. She might have needed to go out one of the times she cried. I thik by now she shoul dbe able to sleep through the night. I take her water up, take her on two walks with one before bed. It seemed like the switch flipped about 2 months ago but since Christmas she has gone back to whining in the middle of the night. So we are trying a couple of things. The first is going to be putting her crate in our bedroom and ignoring the cry to go out. I expect to clean up in the morning. Hopefully we can break her of this. Its totally our fault we would let her out on any whimper. I hope she gets the idea that she can go before bed and in the morning but try and sleep all night.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dieselbabe, I remember going through this with each of Lucy and Flora when they were young. You get to a point when they seem pretty well trained, and then everything seems to go out the window. We called it the "teenage stage." You just have to be firm, and keep reinforcing the rules.

Do I understand correctly that you are living in the same place as your parents? If so, you will have to talk to them about the training process. Every dog (and child for that matter) figures out that faking "I have to go to the bathroom" gets attention. The trick is knowing when it is faking, and putting up with the crying while they learn it won't work.

I think what we did was give a chance to potty, and then crate for the rest of the night, ignoring whining, barking, scratching, and whatever else was going on. If she kept it up for too long, the crate was moved from the bedroom. Then it was moved downstairs. Eventually she realized that the more she carried on, the less attention she got. The process took a couple weeks, maybe a month. It was easier than teaching my daughter to sleep through the night.

Try to explain to your parents the importance of teaching this lesson, and get them to agree to a few nights of sleep deprivation. It is a stage to live through. It will pay off in the end.

Sylvia

1 - 14 of 14 Posts