Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who on this board has three or more dogs and how
do they make it work? feeding, jealousy,attention, sleeping, etc

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have 3 dogs!! Molly my beagle as well as Jake and Andy my greyhounds. They make it work (with my help). Andy is their alpha and they usually respect him and follow his lead.

They have separate feeding stations and I stand over them to be sure no one gets into the others food. They each have their own beds although Moll will sometimes get in bed with the boys.

As for attention, I sometimes play with all three but I also make sure they respect my time with only one of them if needed. Sometimes you have a medical reason to be with one dog and you need the others to stay back and respect the space.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I currently have 4 dogs. Three AKC Beagles and a Beagle/Lab mix.

Sleeping: The two older ones (2 & 5) sleep in bed with mom and dad. The two youngsters (both 1.5) for individual reasons sleep in their kennels. All of our dogs are kennel trained for when we need to kennel them for some reason. During the day they all snuggle together (literally a dog pile-see photo at bottom)

Eating: The two youngsters eat inside their kennels. The two older ones eat within feet of each other in the kitchen. I do stand over them also because Sam is so submissive that if someone walks up to his bowl he backs up and lets them eat it. Maya is a chow hound and will eat anything and everything so we have to watch her close. There are a lot of times that the dogs are on different food (during pregnancies mostly) so we watch them eat then also.

Jealousy: They don't ever get snippy with each other, but the way we know that Maya is jealous is that she will start playing with the one that is trying to get attention. She basically distracts them. Sam we just tell him to go away and he does it. The only time they fight for time from us is when we have been gone and come home or when we all first wake up. They settle down though and even if we are giving one individual attention the others seem to know it is okay because they will get their one on one time also. They all seem to have confidence that they are special too. (like people with high self esteems) lol

I hope that answers your questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
I also have 3. **** who is a mix breed, and 2 beagle sisters, Maggie and Jasmine. **** is now 9 and he is definately the alpha. The girls will be 3 in April. I feed the girls together in the kitchen and **** dines in the dinning room. The only problem I run into is he scarfs his food down and then runs into the kitchen and pushes them out of the way to eat theres. They let him do that. So your always watching him like a hawk.

**** loves Maggie and they can play for hours. But **** tolerates Jasmine. You can always tell when Jasmine is near **** because you hear the growls. Shes aways bowing to him and licking his lips, but I think she likes to tese him also... The one good thing about **** is if he has a toy and Jasmine wants it,she just takes it from him and he growls but never snaps.

**** has free run of the house 24/7. The girls were sleeping with my husband and I, but waking up in the morning with stiff backs I just couldn't do anymore, so they are back to being locked in the kitchen at night.

As for attention they get it differently because of there personalities.

Hope this helped you?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We have four dogs. Li'l Girl, the beagle, Misty, whippetX. Traveler, Rhodesian RidgebackX, and Spook, Lab/Australian ShepherdX, we think. Each has his/her own bed, and Spook sleeps in a crate at night because he wants to.

Each has a designated place to eat. This prevents one's gobbling another's food since they eat at different speeds.

As for jealously, it's mostly between the two boys, and Spook is the most jealous, maybe because he's the newest pack member.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We have four rescue beagles. Booker (12), Moose (8), Popcorn (4) and Buzz (2).

For eating, we feed all four together (none are food aggressive even though they all love food) and make the two eldest lie down and stay while we put the bowls down for the younger two - then we put down the other two bowls and they all eat at the same time. Booker is the slowest but the others have never to my knowledge tried to take her food while she is finishing up - they do all lick each other's bowls afterwards, though.

Sleeping is relatively simple since Booker likes to sleep by herself in a dog bed and the other three pile into bed with us. Moosie sometimes likes to sleep on my pillow against the headboard, but usually they all go under the covers together.

Jealousy - the first three seemed to get used to each new arrival without any jealousy whatsoever. Buzz's arrival seemed to put Popcorn's nose out of joint, however, and she snarked at him now and then for the first while and even now after about four months she still growls at him sometimes. Not sure why and he doesn't have to do anything in particular to get that reaction - sometimes they are just sitting or lying beside each other and she will just growl at him. It has never escalated further however.

Attention isn't an issue except perhaps Moosie might feel a bit overshadowed by Buzz especially for my husband's attention - they are still best buddies but his alone time with him is definitely less now that Buzz is on the scene. Booker has always been a loner and therefore rarely asks for more attention (she usually is signalling she wants less!). Popcorn as I noted above does seem a bit unhappy with Buzz, but she is quite needy and therefore still does get a lot of attention because she demands it.

Overall, I say the more the merrier - four is great because I can walk two and have an enjoyable time with them, and the other two are not home alone because they have each other! Buzz likes to play a lot more than the others, too - and this way he can play with each one and tire them out but be able to move on to another playmate (or victim..)!

·
Registered
650 Posts
I currently have three beagles, Chloe (11), Bailey (7), Jake -foster (2), and Gabby, a Bassett/Boxer (3).

Feeding time: I have to feed Chloe in a separate room as she is extremely food agressive. The others are fed in the kitchen, but I have to dish out their food in a certain order: Gabby, Jake, then Bailey, and they do fine.

Sleeping: Jake's been with us for a week, and until last night he slept in his crate at night. Last night he slept with Chloe and Gabby on the futon and slept all night. Bailey has his own chair that he sleeps on.

Jealousy: The Beagles get along fine, but Gabby often gets annoyed when I pay attention to any of the others but her. I make it a point to pay equal attention to each of them when I can.

I was hesitant to adopt Gabby because of her size (60 pounds), but since I brought Jake home, she has shown me how lucky I am to have her. Jake is her new buddy, and it's amazing to me to see how gentle she is playing with a dog that is a third her size.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We have 3 dogs, Duke and Violet, my almost 2 y/o beagles and Cassie, my 13 y/o yellow lab. We also have a cat, Phoebe and a bird, Allie (though this is my son's bird and she stays in his room 100% of the time). Before we got our rescue, Violet, we had another 13 y/o lab, Roscoe. He went to the bridge in May. But we've had 3 dogs at once for almost 2 years now.

Feeding: Not an issue. Cassie will be bowl dominant with Violet (they switch around bowls) and Duke often isn't as interested in dog food as the girls, so we do feed him up on the spa cover, since he's the only one that can jump up there. That way, the girls aren't eating all of his food. Now if treats are involved, I have to be careful how they are given so Cassie doesn't get dominant with Vi.

Sleeping: The beagles and usually the cat all sleep in our bed (good thing it's a king!). Cassie prefers to sleep in my son's room. I am convinced this is because he stays up late and often gets late night snacks, so she stays up with him! She does want in our room early in the morning, so we bring her in then.

Jealousy: They are all jealous to a certain extent. If I'm petting one, the others have to come over and get their love. And every time I'm on the floor with Cassie, Duke will come and start licking her mouth (and I mean, inside her mouth!EW). But I make sure that each of them gets alone attention, as well as group attention. And if I see one on the couch and give that dog love, I make sure to go to the others and give them love, and the cat, too. They are demanding! LOL

You would think Cassie is the leader of the pack because of her size and age, but in many ways, Duke is. They tend to follow his lead. But they all get along well, other than the incidents with Cassie and Violet when we first got Vi, but Cassie was a spoiled mommy's girl and had to learn to share with another girl!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts