Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st, we've inquired about a beagle at a rescue in Chadds Ford Pennsylvania called Rescue Animal Placements. We found it on Pet Finder. We have sent the application and 2 emails but have not had any contact from them and it's been 2 weeks. We have tried to come up with a phone number but this place seems to be stealth like. Has anyone ever heard or dealt with this place? We would like to know where we stand, if the dog is still available or if we were denied. There are others we are interested in but would like to have closure on this dog before we close the book on her.

2nd question, I've been watching Cesar Millan's show, Dog Whisperer, and was wondering if his training tactics are the best. He seems to be able to make the dogs obey but I rarely see him having any fun with them. Am I wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
You're right. He doesn't seem to have too much fun with the dogs. We've tried some of his techniques on Squeegee and either just get ignored or get a what are you doing beagle head tilt. I don't know, maybe we don't have the calm, assertive energy that he has. I think his ideas are good as far as being the pack leader, etc but some of his more subtle practices don't seem effective such as touching the dog and making a sort of hissing noise to get them to stop doing something.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm in Florida, so I don't know about the rescue group up in Pennsylvania. I hope they reply to you soon though.

As for Caesar, I agree. He doesn't seem to have a lot of fun with the dogs. He's great at what he does and has a lot of success with training though. We've tried a few of his techniques with Jersey and have never really had a lot of success. I have tried a lot of things that Victoria Stillwell does on her show It's Me Or The Dog and had a lot more success.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I just Googled that rescue organization. They are all volunteers and work full time jobs. We just went through the busy holiday season on top of that. They may just not have had time to respond yet. It says they meet on the first and third Saturday at a place called Braxton's Animal Works in Wayne for meet ups with the animals. Maybe you can call them and see if the rescue has anything scheduled with them?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Personally, I love Casear. I've been a fan of his for a few years now. His methods really helped my rescue gain confidence and obedience skills. Everyone who meets Henry remarks on how well behaved he is. I've noticed that his training methods require a lot of dedication, and I've seen him have fun with dogs. Plus I've read his books and the activities he does with his dogs and the time he spends with them sounds like paradise. Hiking, swimming, and roller blading every day! He stresses affection and fun after the dog has shown respect and submission.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am butting in but have you looked into the rescue group BREW ? We go to events in the MidWest but they have beagles in PA. Our experiences with this group has been very positive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were scheduled to be at that adoption day yesterday, January 3rd, but we called Braxtons and the recuse agency never showed up. Braxtons didn't have a phone number to contact them either. My wife is in love with this particular dog but I'm extremely disappointed with not having any contact from them. I've lost faith in the way they operate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gave a quick look at BREW but they are to far from me. They claim to have eastern PA but the only adoption day scheduled for PA was all the way out in Pittsburgh. Thanks for trying.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Cesar is good at what he does but his techniques are a bit harder for others to implement with the same success. Like any trainer, there are ideas he has that I find useful (treating a dog like a dog not a human, for example) and others that I would leave completely (alpha rolling, some of the ways he handles fear aggression etc). Overall I think he sends a good message. A lot of people lack confidence when they handle their dogs and don't realise the part confident demeanor and body language has when it comes to training.

As for having fun - I've seen him playing ball, walking, rollerblading and hiking with the dogs he has, which all looks pretty fun to me!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Caesar may not shower his dogs with hugs and kisses, but his activities seem pretty effective to me. I'm sure even something as simple as rollerblading is great bonding with the dogs. Plus, Daddy goes everywhere with him...he probably has more miles on the road than I have this year.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd agree with Java&Lilo. I think Cesar's idea of showing love or having fun with his dogs is less... demonstrative than we normally see. For him, having fun with the dog is walking or rollerblading or other exercise-type activities, rather than rough-housing or hugging.

I definitely feel that the best part of Oreo's day for him isn't sitting on the couch or getting a hug from me - it's going for a walk (and then eating, ofc).

I have a few friends who utilize some of his techniques for basic behavior - such as making the dog stay or back up or not jumping on people. I'd say they're happier for it because they act confidently and they see their dogs respond.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.