Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Everything is going pretty well with Timber. She is soo playful. And now sleeps through the night in her crate which is awesome.

2 Questions. She is teathing at the moment and she seems to won to bite and chew on everything and everyone. It tends to be socks and feet, becuause they are so easy and she plays around with them at her level. Is there anyway to stop this, or is it just taken as a given when puppies are teathing?

Also, when we take her into the garden to either go to the toilet or have a play. She likes to chew on all the plants, leaves and what not. Is thatok, as long as it's not some sharp bit of metal?

Thank you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
as to the first, I'd suggest lots of rawhide and nylabones for her, Luigi seemed to love those while he was teething. also, this may have been Luigi, but he really liked it when i sat with him and held the peice of rawhide he was chewing. As for the things you don't want her to chew, I'm no expert as this is my first puppy too, but you should scold her in a quiet voice (too loud and it's like a bark, and she'll join in) and then take the object away.

as to the second, Luigi *still* chews on all the plants, and he's still with us /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
She's chewing because she's teething. She'll outgrow it eventually. Don't be suprised if you find little teeth laying around, lol. Make sure she has lots of safe alternatives to chew on and when she bites you give her a sharp "NO BITE" and give her something safe to chew on.

Personally, I would not "let" her eat/chew plants unless you know they're completely safe.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I agree with Jamie about not letting her chew on plants. It sent us to the ER vet once and wild mushrooms in the yard made Duke very ill. Not only that, but it drives Dave crazy when his flowers get destroyed. You would be shocked at how many common yard plants and flowers are toxic. We read up and made sure everything we planted was Duke-safe. Now if we can just get rid of the dang mushrooms!

Nylabones are a huge favorite for our dogs. The Kong with peanut butter does a great job of distracting them, too. Meanwhile, invest in some bitter apple and spray furniture corners and such. Otherwise, you may regret it (I know I did!).

·
Registered
250 Posts
diesel was a huge chewer thank goodness he didnt find the table legs.

but he did find my hands and feet. i would just tell him no bite and give him something that was his to chew on and ignore him.

as for the plants. we had to start putting them up but now that he is older and bigger he gets to them so we had to buy the bad tasting spray stuff. some people use bitter apple too..

he only chewed them once or twice and learned quickly. since that first time i have not had to spray it again.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Get her plently of toys to chew on. Pets At Home do a wide range of puppy teething rings etc. just like you can get for human babies. You can even put them in the fridge so that they are nice and cold on her gums.

Discourage her from biting on your hands and feet by pretending that it hurt by going "ouch" in a high pitched voice. If you let her carry on biting hands and feet she will continue to do so as she gets older and then it really will hurt lol.

I wouldn't let her eat plants if you can help it. My third puppy was terrible for eating plants and even though none of them were poisonous she got quite ill and lost weight quickly in a matter of days. I had to dig up ALL the plants she seemed to like and throw them away as I didn't know which ones were the problem.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When we brought Willow home it was the end of summer, by the end of her first week there was not one flower left in the garden.She just went straight for the petals. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thsmiley_fistshake.gif

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
One thing that really helps when they are teething is a frozen face cloth..get it real wet, give it a twist and freeze it...puppies love them, as it releives the pain of new teeth coming out.(that's the reason they love chewing)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts