Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cleaning:
hey every one, pita hates to be cleaned or in a bath tub or in a shower, what can i do to make her like it? and at what age is it recommended to shampoo her?
and do you think it is a good idea to spay pita? i am not going to breed and next to my house there are a lot of wild dogs and i dont want her being sniffed akk the time and some of them have many deseases. thanks
doron and a wet lick from pita.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes, I think you should get Pita spayed. It's a safe and common surgery that will protect her from other illnesses (and accidental litters) as she ages.

Some dogs just don't like the water, and there's really nothing that can be done about it. You can do the usual things- treats, talking nicely to her. I, personally don't bathe my dog that often. If he gets muddy, I'll wipe him down with a wet cloth or a baby wipe type product though. How often are you washing her? It's not good for their skin to do it too much.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont put her the bath wet because my vet said that she is still sensetive in this age and the first time i did it she got a cold, so now i wipe her like you said just when she gets durty.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Okay, in that case, I'd say lots of praise and gentle rubbing. Lots of dogs don't like to be touched all over or rubbed with something, but they eventually get used to it if it's done often enough.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I got Chloe used to me touching her all over, and basically today she doesn't even mind when I examine her and touch her, and minds her own business.
Pita is 5 months now, and if she smells you can wash her in the shower, just make sure you dry her out carefully and don't take her outside for a few hours after that, to make sure she is completely dry.
I would suggest that you have her on the lead whne you wash her, and wait until she is calm before you turn on the water. Then treat her everytime you do something and she doesn't go wild. Everytime you do something, and she starts resisting, wait until she calms down, praise her, treat, and then continue. It will take time, and probably several showers, and she might never really like it (some dogs are just like that), but she will learn to behave in the shower.

About the spaying - definitely. You don't want to breed her, it will save you the mess when she is in heat, it's healthier for her and she won't get accidentally pregnant (and you know how many homeless puppies and dogs are out there...).

Good-Luck :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
For me, it is not an option not to spay or neuter, you just have to do it. Not only are you not contributing to the pet over population but there are many health risks when you don't do it.

As for the bathing, when I got Spencer & Sydney as puppies, they were shampoo'd right away. Just make sure to get a good quality puppy shampoo or an oatmeal shampoo for dogs. Rince them really well. I only give them a bath about twice a year now but as puppies, they got them more often.

Just take it slow and be consistent. I am able to clean ears, eyes and cut nails without them even thinking twice about it now but that is because I started to do it all at a very young age.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi again!

A big YES to spaying her. There is no reason not to ans many reasons to do it. Unwanted pregnancies being the biggest reason IMO.

As for bathing, I only bathe my dogs when they roll in something like deer poop. I was told a long time ago not to bathe dogs often because it dries out their skin. They have those doggie disposable wipes but I'm not sure what age the dog has to be to be able to use them. I heard that you can't use them on young puppies.

Get-a-going on that spay! :thumbup:

~Denise

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I bathe my dogs every few months, unless they get into something that really stinks!

In between baths, I use baby wipes to make them smell better and freshen them up. I used them on Duke when he was a few months old, with no ill effects.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Spaying, I do not have a female, so you can take others suggestion.
bathing, once in a month. In the summer I wash his feet everyday after a walk, wipe in the winter. Bathing, I'll start with his feet, work your way up only up to his head. Then I use a wet sponge to clean his head and ears making sure no water drip into his ears. Water should not be in full force, use a shower head. I sing to him hehe. :hi: Just like bathing my children when they were small.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have had beagles for 45 years and have never bathed any of them! The only time they got a wash, using a bucket of soapy water, is when they have rolled in something foul. We rub them down with a dry towel if they have been out in the wet.
Please get her spayed, there are too many dogs on this planet and you will be pestered like hell when she is on heat. Bitches come on heat for 6 weeks of the year and can get pregnant during that time. It is also very messy and I'm sure you dont want blood all over the house. So contact the vets.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i am going to spay her and microchip.
because now it is muddy outside her tommy gets durty so i take a small magic towel and wipe her not more then that for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts