Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum, but not new to Beagle ownership. My wife and I own a 2 year old beagle here in Santa Barbara, CA. We are considering purchasing a 2nd beagle, either a 3 month old male or female. We're unaware of the dynamics of owning 2 dogs at one time, specifically 2 beagles at one time. Can anyone give us feedback on how "life changes" with 2?

A bit more about our situation:
1) We're a young married couple with no kids yet
2) We work from home
3) We have the space for a 2nd dog
4) Our current Beagle is a beta male and very social, so our main reason for getting a second beagle is companionship for him.

Thanks in advance! We may be making the "decision" today or tomorrow, so the quicker the response the better!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, any recommendations on whether to get a male or a female, if we currently have a 2 year old beta male? Our neighbors have a 3 year old male puggle (dominant) and they play every afternoon (our landlord even installed a "doggie gate" between our two yards)

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Welcome!! I only have one beagle, but there are other's here that have multiples, and should be able to give you lot's of feedback. Your 'situation' sounds perfect for another beagle though!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Think of getting a female and have them both neutered. They will be good friends.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had more than one beagle at a time (and right now my beagle is one of -- and the smallest of -- three dogs).

If all the dogs are spayed/neutered, it won't really matter what gender you get.

I think my dogs are happier as a small "pack." When my husband and I first made the decision to have a multiple beagle household, one of the pluses was that each of us had a dog to walk! And there's double the cuddlling on the couch in the evening!

The more beagles the merrier -- although when we got more than one, we started feeding both of them in their crates. Kept the mealtime craziness to a minimum.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I support "the more beagles the merrier" opinion. I only have one, but as soon as I have the room for it and enough money - I'm going to get another beagle friend for Chloe.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We have 4 dogs. Li'l Girl is the beagle, and we have three others. Two of the others are male, and one is female. All are spayed or neutered and, as a rule, they get along well. There's even a calico cat thrown in the mix. She's the boss, so no one dares cross her. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I vote yes to add another doggie. Add a female, then you will have a girl and a boy. We have a girl and a boy and they are best friends. Our girl is dominant. We got ours together as puppies. Ours are not brother and sister.

Your little boy with have a playmate. And someone to be with him when you are gone from the house. Both doggies will have their own personalities.

·
Registered
443 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif Hi - my name is Kim & I am a multi-Beagle owner & I hope I never go bak to just 1. First, let me say that since Beagles are a pack breed, they do better with a companion - two or more Beagles together. Now, af for me personally, I had a Yorki-Poo when I got my first Beagle - Shiloh. Oreo was 12+ years when I got Shiloh as an 8 week old pup. They soon became best buds & were VERY close. Shiloh knew nothing about being an only dog - he had gone straight from being in a litter of 4 other pups plus his mom to being in a different place but he was not alone - Oreo was there when I was gone at work. With Oreo's advancing age, the way my 2 dogs had bonded that I better have another dog in place when it was time for Oreo to leave for the Rainbow Bridge. (And yes, I had become use to living with 2 dogs so the 2nd dog was something for me too). Having 2 dogs around is so much fun - yes, it is a bit more work & a bit more expensive but oh, so worth it. And once you get into a routine - the bit of extra work amounts to nothing. Anyway, my 2nd was also an 8 week old pup, a female named Shasta - oh, Shiloh is a neutered male. Shasta had a VERY short show career so she was not spayed until after she was a year old. Shiloh has always been great with Shasta. I was a little worried about Shiloh (+16 inches tall & 37 pounds) being around Shasta but he must have learned well from Oreo about how to behave & play with a small pup because Shiloh & Shasta are now best buds - he puts up with alot from Shasta cause she is so much more rambunctious & energetic, even now at 19 months. I would love to get another but not where I live now - oh I own my house but it is a duplex with a small fenced yard. Before I get a third, I'd like to be in a single unit house with a little bigger yard.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke has 2 senior labs and a cat as his companions, and I agree that they really do enjoy having playmates. Though the labs are older and don't always want to play, Duke can usually get one of them or kitty to play with him.

The labs grew up together, being just a year apart, and I really think it helped us to have 2. Believe it or not, they got into less trouble because they entertained each other, which kept them from looking for something else (trouble) to entertain themselves with.

It is more expensive, but not horribly so unless one gets sick and you can't predict that, no matter how many you have. Duke has cost us more in ER vet bills from eating what he shouldn't than the other 3 combined, and he's only 1!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much for the quick and detailed responses. I think we are definitely leaning towards getting a 2nd. Unfortunately, the darling little girl we liked was sold yesterday, so we are left with the male or waiting for a female. Thanks again!

P.S How do you get pictures next to your name?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You can upload an avatar picture when you reach 100 posts. It happens fast - trust me!

Unless your heart is set on a girl, a boy puppy will fit in great! Many here have male dogs and do just fine (and girls just the same).... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
You beat me to the 100 posts response. If the seller will let you, you should spend a little time with the puppy that is still available. It wouldn't hurt to bring your current beagle to see his response. If your heart doesn't leap for that one, then you may want to wait a little longer. Of course, that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I would of course vote for a 2nd beagle as well as I have 2 and it is awesome. I have a male and a female and they get along great. My next dog will be a beagle as well but that one will be from a shelter or rescue.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My situation is a lot like yours. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Our submissive male dog gets along great with the girl dog we adopted to be his buddy. They keep one another entertained and in shape, they're great companions, and they help to even out one another's personalities; our beta boy has become more assertive and confident (probably because we have always given him preference over the girl, i.e. given him his treats first), and she has become a lot better socialized. I echo the sentiment that two keep one another out of trouble. Full steam ahead.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
SBB,

We have two beagles. Both rescues, both neutered. They get along fine. We adopted Summer for the same reason you are looking at second, as a companion for the first. They both seem happy about the arrangement.

Instead of a pup, have you considered a rescue? They need homes too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I guess it's pretty obvious what I'll say since I'm owned by ten beagles! Beagles are definitely "pack animals" - and do better with others for companionship. Even though I never PLANNED to have this many dogs ... errrr... short furry kids with long ears ... and sometimes I feel like I'm on beagle overload, I can't even imagine only having one dog again - tho this is my LIMIT (hmmm, think I said that before, too). All kidding aside, if you can afford another dog - and you WANT another dog, by all means, it's a great idea. People often tell me that it's obvious that my pack is very loving - and they are - both with people and with each other. As far as gender, if both are "fixed" there's not much difference - tho I do have a preference for females - but that's a personal thing. I have 4 males, Joe and Jack are 2 1/2 year old littermates, Tanna is their sire, and Romeo is my oldest boy. Everyone is very sweet and loving - males and females - tho my youngest, Angel, who just turned a year old, is a typical beagle puppy - full of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eyes.gif. For the most part the pack gets along very well together (unless there is food involved - and I get around that by feeding them "separately").

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/beaglesmom/Bunchofbeagles7-9-07.jpg

And NO, they do not have to sleep all piled up together - there are beds all over the place for them, but they LIKE to be together.
We'll be looking forward to pictures of your "pack"!
Hugs 'n puppy kisses,
Glenda 'n the pack

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are there any advantages or disadvantages with house-training? Diggity isn't quite getting the concept and we were wondering what would happen if we got another puppy. Would Diggity follow the puppy's example (assuming she's going outside), or would the puppy learn from Diggity's bad habits?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The more the merrier! As to female vs male, we stated with a girl and added two boys and then a boy lab - no issues. They all get along really well together. When we just had one, the little schnauzer down the street would come and stay with us while her owners went out of town and Blaze really missed her when she went home. That's why we got Buster.

Jet - as to house training, it seems to me that beagles can be a little slower to "get it". If Diggity is going in the house, the puppy may follow her scent and go in the same places.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts