Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello....my girlfriend and I have a 1 and half year old beagle and he's the best little pup ever. After having him, I will never get another dog unless its a beagle. We also have a Lhasa Opsa is very loving as well, however very spoiled. We had her before we got our beag so here lies the problem....Presley (our beagle) just wants to play with Tillee (our Lhasa), however she wants nothing to do with him. She always growls and snaps at him. So we have been throwing the idea of getting another pet so Presley can have a companion. I thought a cat maybe a good companion for him, and also be low maintenance for us. However, my girlfriend wants another beagle. I think another beagle would be a great companion for Presley, but am afraid two beagles will be too much to handle.

So my question is...how much difference is having two beagles than one. Will it be alot more to handle?? Do you have to give twice as much affection with two or do they get the extra affection from each other?

P.S. We treat our dogs like children. We never go anywhere without them. We never let them sleep alone, and give them more affection than we probably give each other.

Here is a few pics of the both of them.....

·
Registered
794 Posts
well Beagles are the best! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
but if your Lhasa seems unhappy with 1 beagle, I definitely wouldn't get a puppy--I'd get an older, calmer Beagle...
by older, I just mean one that has grown out of the chewing and nipping on everything in sight stage...
I would write more but I have to clean up a book that my puppy just chewed up.... (sigh)

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's hard to answer. We have three beagles (and a lab). The first one we got as a puppy. Went through the whole beagle learning curve with her. Then we added a rescue boy. He was very mellow and fit together nicely with the first. Then we went insane and rescued another boy,who did things the first two never dreamed of. If Boomer was my first beagle, I probably would have stopped there, but having built up experience with the first two, we have all survived nicely - although I blame a lot of my grey hair on him. So as to whether its easier or harder, it really depends on the dog's personality and you as the leader of the pack.

Since you already have two dogs you know the expense end of the equation. A third dog will mean food more often and another vet trip or two.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:two beagles too much
Hell no! We've got two beagles, and it's the best thing ever! BUT, we also don't have another dog that may be put out if another dog is added to the ranks.

Are there issues with pack order in your house? Is this why the LA would be getting a bit annoyed?

I agree with getting an older dog, maybe one that's about 2 years old? Out of the puppy stages, but still young enough to play with presley.

You can never have too many beagles /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

(... Erin)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am also in the 2 in NOT enough team!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can certainly relate to what you are saying. We have a 9year old shih-tzu and she used to play the house down with our cattle dog. When the cattle dog died earlier this year we decided to get the beagle pup largely to help her with her grieving as well as ours. She absolutely hates his guts!!! He's too boistrous for her. To make matters worse 3 months later she had complete retinal detachment in her only remaining eye and is now totally blind. So he stresses her out even more. Luckily we have baby gates in the house so she lives in one half of the house and he in the other with minimal interaction. I feel very sorry for her as she used to spend half her day out in the warm sun on a chair - now she dare not go out there unless Snoopy is locked up. Makes me feel very guilty.
Anyway that doesn't help your situation but I do understand. Your beagle sounds lovely so having two for you might be a joy. Me - no way /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Snoopy is more than I can handle right now.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I vote to go for it since you seem to have a good idea what is involved. I also second thinking about getting a rescued dog. They need forever homes so badly and if you adopt an older one you won't go through the puppy stages. Keep us posted. Julie

·
Registered
786 Posts
We have two beagle girls (sisters) and we also have an older dog who is has the body of a bassett hound, but face of a terrier. He grew up with and older chocolate lab. She didn't want to play, so he did the best he could. After we had the lab put down because she had cancer, we started looking for "a" dog. Well we found these two beagles at our vets office. We brought them home when they were 8 weeks old. Well Mick never really was a puppy, so in the past year and 1/2 he is learning how to be a puppy again.

Now our problem is the girls have two totally different personalities. Mick loves Maggie(she's our lemon), they will play for hours. He will let her sleep on top of him and just doesn't care. Maggies personality is more laid back. Now Mick and Jasmine don't exactly get along. Mick snaps at her, but she also loves to tease him. Like if he's eating she'll stand behind him with her tail going and he's trying to eat and growl at the same time. Now Jasmines personality is more high strung.

What I would do is if you find another dog, bring both of them with you and see how they interact.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
My vote is to definately go for another Beagle! But I agree maybe a bit older little more mellow one. I agree try taking Tillee and Presley with you when you go to look at new additons to see how they get along.

We also have a big family - Molly shares(I use that term lightly) her home with Joco the Chihuahua - he hated Molly at first, Bear the very domineering Chocolate Lab/Rotti mix and Eddy the toy terrier. With all this going on I still want another beagle to round out the male/female mix in this house and give Molly some help!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We have 2 old labs (almost 12 and 13) and we really debated getting another dog. In the end, we decided a pup would bring some life to the older ones and they'd be able to help in training, so we went for it.

Yes, it is tons more work! However, it has brought youth into our labs and into our house as a whole. Duke makes us laugh and he drives us crazy, all at once. But we are SO happy he's part of our family, and can't imagine life without him.

Weigh your odds, and count on a ton of work if it's a pup, and make your decision and go for it. I remember right before we went to pick Duke up, I looked at Dave and asked him if we were doing he right thing. His answer was we'd make it the right thing. Smart man I've got!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 2 and 2 beagles are way smarter than one!
They cause 2 times the trouble, but they would keep each other company and maybe revenge on Tillee! 2 beagles are better than one in the beagles case, harder work for the human, but you gotta love 'em anyway! Presley would have fun with a cat too, but the cat might not like it and might scratch!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awww, there soo cute, i just want to cuddle them

I have a cat, and he wants nothing to do with razer, he is declawed or he would had hurt him pretty bad, He is way better then the pup and his hits are a power house, if you get a cat, make sure to declaw it. because other wise you might find blood laying around. When presley whats to play and the cat don't.

I don't want another Beagle. My hubby wants a female. but i said noooo to much work.I got a 2 year old daughter. a cat, a bird, two fish tank(one salt one fresh)And a hubby who thinks he is 12 again, so i don't want anymore pets.

But i am sure it is easy to have aother one, and not hard at all, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I do think another beagle could work in your household, but you need to chose the personality carefully and make sure that you find one who will be a good playmate for Presley but also not be too "in your face" with Tillee.

That was pretty much the same situation as we had when we adopted Popcorn two years ago - Booker our eldest beagle was 8 1/2 at the time and hadn't been much of a player even when she was younger - and was getting grouchier about not playing as she got older. She was less and less willing to play with our younger beagle, Moose, who was 5 at the time and had lots of energy, and so when we decided to adopt a third, younger beagle we knew we were walking a fine line between getting one who would have enough energy to keep up with Moosie and one who would bug Booker to play as well when she didn't want to.

I can vouch for the fact that there are such dogs out there - as Popcorn is a wonderful playmate for Moose and they will play together for extended periods all the time - but at the same time she is deferential to Booker and leaves her alone but for the few times when Booker is in the mood to join in (and even then Popcorn plays much gentler with Booker than she does with Moose). Popcorn was about 7 months when we adopted her - and I think that meant she was old enough to understand Booker's "leave me alone" signals - plus her personality is such that she doesn't push it when she is rebuffed in her attempts to play.

Good luck - it can be done!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't think another dog is a good idea. You shouldn't make one dog miserable to make the other happy. I think a kitten would work fine. I had an older dog & adopted a kitten. The kitten was terrified at first, but soon fell in love with my dog. Maybe you could rescue an older kitten. (I personally would be afraid of Presley accidentally getting too rough with a tiny one.) Beside loads of cats need good homes too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts