Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
Thanks for taking out time. I'm in desperate need of suggestions.
I recently bought 2 beagles when I decided for one so that they could keep each other company when we leave the house for short periods of time. They're just 2months+
I've been giving them separate alone time and one on one training and they are doing good. I've been doing all the efforts to treat them as two dogs. They sleep in different crates too.
However whenever they face each other they dont leave a single chance of fighting. Only time they are showing love is when they are sleepy or have just woken up and that's for like 10 minutes. They fight to a point that I have to intervene since I'm worried they might hurt each other. There are times when one yelps in pain but the other one is still on top beating the first one. I always intervene and stop it but I just wanted to see the level of fight they can get into.
Beagle is a lovable breed and I dont want them to turn into aggressive biting dogs as they grow up. I have been thinking of giving one of them to a family but it breaks my heart to do so.
Please suggest if this is common in littermates and will get better with age or are they on a wrong path of aggressive behaviour issues.
I'm a little worried and need to act fast since the separation anxiety might step in if I get too late in giving one out of them. Please help

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Beagles are very lovable but can also be very jealous over food, toys, and attention from their owners. I have two, a male and female and they used to get in some awful fights when they were younger. The male actually bit me twice in the past too over jealousy. You are right to intervene but be careful you don't get injured. Puppies do play pretty rough but you don't want that continuing into adult hood. You might find some helpful info here too Aggression

·
Registered
977 Posts
I can't tell from your description, but they may just be playing. Puppies play rough. I wouldn't personally expect a lot of true aggression from 8 week old puppies. You will need to deal with littermate syndrome as they age though, so keep working with them separately - I'd also google it and do some reading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey
Thanks for taking out time. I'm in desperate need of suggestions.
I recently bought 2 beagles when I decided for one so that they could keep each other company when we leave the house for short periods of time. They're just 2months+
I've been giving them separate alone time and one on one training and they are doing good. I've been doing all the efforts to treat them as two dogs. They sleep in different crates too.
However whenever they face each other they dont leave a single chance of fighting. Only time they are showing love is when they are sleepy or have just woken up and that's for like 10 minutes. They fight to a point that I have to intervene since I'm worried they might hurt each other. There are times when one yelps in pain but the other one is still on top beating the first one. I always intervene and stop it but I just wanted to see the level of fight they can get into.
Beagle is a lovable breed and I dont want them to turn into aggressive biting dogs as they grow up. I have been thinking of giving one of them to a family but it breaks my heart to do so.
Please suggest if this is common in littermates and will get better with age or are they on a wrong path of aggressive behaviour issues.
I'm a little worried and need to act fast since the separation anxiety might step in if I get too late in giving one out of them. Please help

Many thanks
good reason to worry, but one must remember beagles love being with others and playin rough is their thing to do they also have a loud yelp when nipped, which may be minor. hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
5,086 Posts
Yes, I agree with buddy2, beagles are VERY dramatic and they make all sorts of noises. The fight could sound way worse than it is when they're pups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts