Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My two beagles, Frodo & Sam, got in to a bad fight with each other. It was so bad, 3 trips to vet for both...both have 1 badly biten leg, knicks and cuts to both of their ears, both very sore...Sam had to have staples in his leg. It was bad- they just wouldn't stop! It was a bloody mess.
They have been healing nicely, getting along- there was a bit of tension in the air the first few days. Then, it seemed as tho everything was back to normal, beagle brothers! Then today, Sam started limping again, did a little to much frolicking in yard i think. However, Frodo's body language was a little off this morning- almost instigating. Then this afternoon, Frodo cornered Sam and they started growling, hair raised up & started to get real snarky.... anyone had similar situation or suggestions?? The on edge anxiety its giving me is terrible- will they ever be able to be left unsupervised again?

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
Yes, I have had quite a few dog fights here. Beagles can be very possessive of food, toys and their humans too. What were they doing right before the fight?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Some breeds are same-sex aggressive - though I'm not sure beagles are among them (some other of my breeds of choice are though).

I would crate and rotate until things have cooled off a bit more. Boys don't generally hold grudges the same way bitches will.

Reactions: jb1571

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original fight was over a bone. They have never fought like that over a bone before...Sam finished his and was standing over Frodo, waiting for him to be done so he could have it. Thats how it usually goes, has been that way for years...Frodo was always ok with it. Sam is very food driven & Frodo is not- so it seemed to balance. The day of the fight, Frodo wasn't having it. They got into it bad!! That was 1 week ago.
Today, I only observed a little difference in Frodo's body language...there was no food involved, bones have been eliminated from house. I was a little more hyper vigilant watching them for aggression- and Frodo cornered Sam, growling and instigating

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
They can get more food/treat aggressive as they get older. Things usually calm down, just be careful about watching their body language and stop things before they heat up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frodo & Sam update...I thought i posted already, but i guess not....
Both have healed completely!! It was a crazy couple of weeks, 3 trips to vet for Frodo & 4 trips to vet for Sam...bandages, staples, wraps, gauze, sleep meds, pain meds, antibiotics, cones....they are getting along as if nothing ever happened!!
Key take away from this...no more bones for my boys!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts