Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, one of the gifts Summer and Murphy got (mostly for Murphy) was eight 2 pound bags of Pupperoni. For those who don't know, this is a pepperoni flavored treat that Murphy loves.

Last night we went out to dinner with our neighbors and foolishly left the Pupperoni bags on the floor under the Christmas tree. By the time we got home, two bags were shredded, one was empty and the other was about 1/4 down. There are 2 pounds per bag. Summer was not bloated and was hungry (we assume she had some but not much). Murphy looked like an old battleship, narrow in the front and rear and WIDE in the middle. We assume he ate 2-1/2 pounds of Pupperoni (that is over 1 kg for those across the pond). We called the vet and they said we should induce vomiting to help decrease his size. After 2 table spoons of hydrogen peroxide, he finally gave up about 1/2 pound. The rest he kept for himself. He woke me up 4 times last night because, you guessed it, he was hungry. Unbelievable!

This morning he is still bloated and will be getting very limited food until his size returns to normal.

This proved one thing to me. He remembers what a Pupperoni bag looks like, because they were sealed at the factory.

·
Registered
322 Posts
MD I know exactly what Puperonis' are!! My girls love them!! They are very fatty, so I'm sure your baby was quite full!! I tell ya, they just don't have a sense of "fullness" only taste and gluttony! I guess they are just so nose and mouth oriented they just can't help them little selves!! Hope he will be OK!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Wow! I can't believe he was still hungry! Silly beagles just smell and do not realize how much they have eaten. I bet they could eat for days.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I laughed when you described Murphy:

"Murphy looked like an old battleship, narrow in the front and rear and WIDE in the middle."

Then when you stated how full he was but still hungy, I thought, "geez, that sounds like me some days :freak: ".

Glad Murphy is OK.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Glad Murph is ok. But that was funny because it could have happened to any one of us. Typical Beagle :rotflmao:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Murphy probably thought this was the best Christmas ever. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It's truly amazing how much he ate. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I'm glad that he didn't seem to have any ill effects.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So glad Murphy didn't have a more severe reaction -- how on earth did you ever get the hydrogen peroxide down him?

·
Registered
862 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif :biglaugh: :hysterical:

Loved your comparing Murphy to an old battleship!!! It's a good thing he's ok.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Poor Murphy .... I'm glad to hear that his bulging sides have shrunk back to normal :biglaugh:

Man that beagle drive can be scary sometimes...Sammy did the same with Beggin' Strips one Christmas. She looked so uncomfortable but was standing right in front of the refrigerator door every time it opened.

Her grammy asked her is she had some screws loose..she thought that she shouldn't have been hungry for at least a week after 2 and 1/2 bags of Beggin Strips !!! (she tried to hide the other half of the last bag under her dog bed in the bedroom ..for a snack later I guess)

·
Registered
517 Posts
:hysterical: "battleship" :hysterical:

thats too funny.... :toofunny:

poor doggies...just dont know when they've had enough.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Who said only WE, little human, can over indulge during the holiday?

Well Murphy, I think you've done it this time...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I stopped by quick to see how Murphy was doing and after reading this I am releived that he is still up to his old tricks. I remember when Annie ate ~5 LBs of dog food. I had to take her to the ER. They were angry with me. I had only given her 1 milkbone, so I had no idea what had happened. After I got home I found the bag ripped open at the bottom and down several inches! This was before she was really mine. Shelby doesn't have the energy to do all that work. Annie looked like a beach ball!
Give that hungry boy a pat from us.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Murphy's Dad:
He woke me up 4 times last night because, you guessed it, he was hungry. Unbelievable!
Proving again something that I read about beags when Shiloh was a puppy: "A beagle can consume a 20 lb. bag of dogfood and then try to convice you he's starving!"
:biglaugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts