Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 5 month old girl called Bella and she is my first dog. OMG!...i need some advice guys, lol. I will post some photos shortly before venturing into the discussion forum.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You are in for an adventure of a lifetime, but oh so fun. Welcome to our little home away from home. Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome! I know how you feel. I was in the same place two and half years ago. I got lots of help here and just love my beagle Maggie. Its a lot of work when they are pups but worth the work when they mature a litttle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Welcome. I think you've definitely found a great support group for your coming adventures!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: Java & Lilo!Welcome. I think you've definitely found a great support group for your coming adventures!
that's funny, because it's sort of what i was looking for when i ended up here.

when i emailed my little brother with a pic of my sophie, he just lol'd and said you always were a glutton for punishment

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
to BW! I adopted an adult beagle who is now 13+ but we have lots of members who can help you through the beagle puppy stages. Looking forward to seeing pics of Bella!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou everybody for your welcomes. We got Bella when she was 10 weeks old so she's been with us a few months now......erm, when does it start getting easier? I think our Beagle is trying to destroy us!! lol

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
There were days Maggie almost brought me to tears. Is Bella housetrained yet? Once that was out of the way we spent more time on the chewing, digging, and basic obedience training. I noticed gradual improvement from about 10 months on and and then by about 15 months a huge improvement. Maggie still has her moments. It wouldn't be so much fun without those adventures she still manages to have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Originally Posted By: BellaThankyou everybody for your welcomes. We got Bella when she was 10 weeks old so she's been with us a few months now......erm, when does it start getting easier? I think our Beagle is trying to destroy us!! lol
Hee hee, this brings back all my memories. My beagle threw everything it had at me & my partner & certainly had us in tears many times!!! Once the house training is sorted that makes life alot easier. Your beagle will always have a naughty streak as every once in a while my beagle will get her escaping head on & try & do a runner sometimes she will even go toilet in the house because she knows its too cold outside and here in the UK its always flipping cold!!!! But the beagle is always so much fun you will grow to love its naughty traits, sounds weired but true. Welcome & best of luck..........never give up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome to you and Bella!

Originally Posted By: Bella......erm, when does it start getting easier? I think our Beagle is trying to destroy us!! lol
Not to be the bearer of bad tidings, but Jersey was about a year old before I stopped wanting to kill her at times, and about 18 months before she really settled. I know that sounds like a long time, but it goes by fast. And strangely, you even miss those puppy antics. But when all is said and done and you have this wonderful, sweet, loving companion...well, it's just totally worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Welcome to you and Bella! Lot's of information here, so jump right in! My Maggie will be one year old on Wednesday, and it's not started to get easier for us yet...but we're hopeful! LOL

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to BW. Do you take Bella to dog school? Might help with the obedience side of things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, some of these replies are really scaring me!! Are you telling me I still have months of torment ahead of me?! We have obedience training penciled in for the new year, so hopefully that should help us. I'd say we are probably 90% there regarding the indoor wetting...she still has the odd accident, but i can live with that. We've made it through the sleepless nights and we don't hear a peep from her now until the sun comes up thankfully.....the 3am Beagle alarm clock was killing me! lol. She actually goes 9-10 hours in her crate at night now and she is always dry when i let her out. She responds well to the basic commands (sit, down, paw, etc) and when her food is given to her, she will wait until we give her the ok to tuck in. So, there is some progress. Our biggest problems are the play biting (she can be quite brutal) and the constant grabbing of things that don't belong to her and her refusal to let go of it.....socks normally!

·
Registered
614 Posts
When playing with her and she starts biting hard, just snatch your hand away or what ever and say Ouch in a loud voice. It usually get them to stop and start playing nicely, if they continue doing it just quit playing and walk away.

·
Registered
448 Posts
play biting?? TEETHING! Just like a baby! They have to get their big doggie teeth in--- have to chew even if its on YOU!
Judi

·
Registered
421 Posts
nah, don't be askeert. (that's ******* for scared)

sometimes the dog will make you wanna pull your hair out but i swear it will reward you big time with love and loyalty if you be patient and persistent. as for the biting, i just tell sophie NO BITING! and she stops, without getting that tail-tucked, scolded look. it's like she understands i ain't mad at her, i just want her to stop it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.