Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 19 week old Beagle. He is amazing and very smart and playful and loves to cuddle however, he has started biting uncontrollably and relentlessly! I read a lot online about 'nipping' during teething but I personally would not describe this as nipping. He breaks the skin most times. He is quite clearly teething which we are trying to help him with (an abundance of toys, ice, teething gel) but he seems to chase and bite in a fit of rage. Yelping and saying Ow! Does not work and only makes him bite harder. Is this a normal phase or a behavioural issue? We are consistently removing ourselves from the room when this happens and treating for good and calm behavior.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
It does last for awhile..but its a phase that will pass. Keep the dog in a restricted area..no large amount of freedom. Rough housing and excitable play may it worse. Give your dog frequent naps in a crate. Give chew toys to chew on. Hand feed your dog by cupping the food in your hand and let the dog eat that way..no biting then. Say NO when biting and leave the dog.. they dont like being alone. I highly recommend crate training. Keep shoes on your feet. It will get better. Its not aggression so dont spank ...its a puppy phase.
Here is cassie a former biter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just be consistent in letting him know it is wrong. Welp when he does it then turn your attention away from him. Our guy is 4 months old and he is getting much better, but he still has this desire to bite everything. He now knows we don’t approve and he still will put his mouth on us but doesn’t bite down like before. I would also highly recommend teaching your pup the basic commands. Beagle pups can be very frustrating at times, but we see improvement daily, and can see signs of the great dog he will eventually become.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts