Registered
1,017 Posts
Oh that is heartbreaking. Oh dear. Poor Brownie

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that is heartbreaking. Oh dear. Poor Brownie
It is! By the time Shelby and Boh pass on, I'll be waayyy too old for a puppy. I will gladly snatch up a nice senior dog.

Brownie is in the same Kentucky shelter, where I got Shelby. They do transport to the Northeast. I met Shelby at transport.

I hope Brownie finds someone with a big, loving heart. Poor dog.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Awww. Shelby <3

Yeah, I feel for Brownie. I can't imagine what it must be like for her.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brownie isn't listed any more. Hopefully, she got adopted, or at least placed in a nice foster home.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I can't imagine dropping any of my dogs off at a shelter, but an elderly dog is the absolute worst. She has lost everything she has ever known. I know life happens and people fall on hard times. Often, I see the owner has died or had to go into a nursing home. It's the "I am moving and can't take the dog with me" excuse that I don't get. Where are you going? Seriously.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can't imagine dropping any of my dogs off at a shelter, but an elderly dog is the absolute worst. She has lost everything she has ever known. I know life happens and people fall on hard times. Often, I see the owner has died or had to go into a nursing home. It's the "I am moving and can't take the dog with me" excuse that I don't get. Where are you going? Seriously.
The only way I could see it is if you lost your home for financial reasons and didn't have any ability to control where you moved too. But I doubt that's the reason in the majority of 'We're moving' scenarios

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only way I could see it is if you lost your home for financial reasons and didn't have any ability to control where you moved too. But I doubt that's the reason in the majority of 'We're moving' scenarios
I used to be involved in rescue. Volunteered with two GSD rescues. After I had to start taking care of my Mom and couldn't volunteer, I freelanced. Through it all - people lie. Ironically, with the help of some of my doggie FB friends, I was able to solve the puzzle and save 2 dogs, in particular. In both cases, I had posted pictures of the shelter dogs. In both cases, there were individuals who recognized the dogs. One looked like a gorgeous white wolf. A Canadian friend said, "I know that dog." He was a 'new' breed. Actually did have some wolf in him, though the breed is not advertised that way. The owner couldn't handle him. A breed rescue had stepped up for him. Were willing to get him into the hands of people who understood him. They were even working on transport. The owner didn't wait - just dumped the dog in a shelter and lied about the reasons. I was able to work with the shelter to get the dog into the hands of the rescue. He is living a happy life now.

That is what is hardest for me to understand. If you cannot, or do not want to keep your pet, TRY to find it a home. Reach out to rescue. Most rescues and shelters have a courtesy post page, where you can post your pet for adoption. When you are offered help, and still are unwilling to go the extra mile for your pet, you suck. Geez!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Oh absolutely. I have worked in rabbit and cat rescue and people can be BS. I used to volunteer at a humane society and someone once surrendered a cat because they'd redecorated and it "didn't match anymore".

Even Xerxes - the people who adopted him from the rescue who brought him up from the US had him for 6 months before they surrendered him to the city shelter. Apparently they hurt their leg - like, I've torn ligaments and broken bones in my feet since having the dogs and I dealt with it. Even when I was single! I didn't get rid of them!!!! Seems sketchy to me.

...especially as Xerxes behaved like an angel for the first few months we had him, then BAM! he got comfortable and turned into a little nut. But he's our little nut and we wouldn't have it any other way.

It also makes me angry that when we first adopted him he was scared of feet. He outgrew it. That he outgrew it makes me think there is a reason WHY he was scared of feet and he is such a good sweet boy who wants to do the right thing, even if he forgets himself sometimes and goes crazy, but he's a good boy. Who could kick him?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh absolutely. I have worked in rabbit and cat rescue I worked in rabbit rescue too! Oh my gosh! Small world. I'm a member of HRS. Again, not able to do much to help, with my Mom. Haven't even been able to help set up for PetExpo. But I LOVE rabbits. I am down to one. He is an 11 yo black and white lop. My baby! and people can be BS. I used to volunteer at a humane society and someone once surrendered a cat because they'd redecorated and it "didn't match anymore".

Even Xerxes - the people who adopted him from the rescue who brought him up from the US had him for 6 months before they surrendered him to the city shelter. Apparently they hurt their leg - like, I've torn ligaments and broken bones in my feet since having the dogs and I dealt with it. Even when I was single! I didn't get rid of them!!!! Seems sketchy to me.
I agree. I fell down the steps, taking care of my senior GSD. Broke three bones in my foot and smashed my wrist into the wall. Never occurred to me to get rid of my dog.
...especially as Xerxes behaved like an angel for the first few months we had him, then BAM! he got comfortable and turned into a little nut. But he's our little nut and we wouldn't have it any other way.

It also makes me angry that when we first adopted him he was scared of feet. He outgrew it. That he outgrew it makes me think there is a reason WHY he was scared of feet and he is such a good sweet boy who wants to do the right thing, even if he forgets himself sometimes and goes crazy, but he's a good boy. Who could kick him?
Poor Xerxes. That hurts my heart. Thank goodness he is safe now and truly loved.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We don’t have rabbits anymore but I do love them. Neb is just a little too keen to kill them and I suspect Xerxes would be the same.

Yeah, we’re so glad we have Xerxes. He’s such a good boy, so we love that he’s a part of our family, but also that he’s not being kicked anymore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts