Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! We just adopted our sweetheart of a beagle Milo. He is 10 weeks old. We've had him for about 5 days now. But overall he's the sweetest puppy except when he doesn't get his way he starts growling and snapping. This can be if he's laying on your lap and you go to get up, if you're in the car and he's tired of being held, or if he's asking you to play and you don't want to. We took him to the vet today and they said he was perfectly healthy but "fiesty" although they were very laxadazical and weren't concerned after I brought it up. When we got him back after his vaccines, he was growling and snapping at us in our arms. Should we be concerned he has this behavior at 10 weeks? Is this a sign of aggression or just him testing boundaries? We've already got him pretty much sitting on command and are constantly using positive reinforcement. We're also crate training and he's doing good and going in there on his own and laying down when he's tired.

·
Super Moderator
5,386 Posts
It's been awhile since I had a puppy but beagle pups are famous for nipping and definitely test boundaries just like a toddler would. You can search this site for "puppy nipping" and things like that and you can read some older posts. I'm sure Cassie will respond to your post, puppy expert there! We love puppy pictures here too.

·
Super Moderator
5,386 Posts
Oh my goodness, I want to rub that belly!!!! Thank you for sharing pics.

If you go toward the top of the page where it says "search community", type in Puppy Nipping a whole bunch of posts come up.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Well here I am...a puppy survivor!
Your puppy is adorable..i cant believe there's any naughty behavior...lol
1) read up on puppy behavior.
2). Puppies bite and nip for a few months..
3) dont allow freedom in your house..restrict the area so he doesnt think he owns the place.
4.)CRATE TRAIN.. read up on this.
5. )Dont spank or yell for biting BUT be firm and say No. When biting.
6) hand feed your dog by cupping the food in your hands..creates a bond ..." dont bite the hand that feeds you " as the saying goes...
7) give your dog chew toys to take out the chewing need.
8)start giving commands and using the same words and use his name when addressing him.
8) get a clicker at the petstore..watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
9. Dont play rough house games which gets the dog overly excited..it always ends in biting during this early phase.
10) watch any young children that they dont get nipped.
11) keep a leash on the dog so you can control any naughtiness.

This is Cassie 10.6 yrs...a former biter
Dog Comfort Carnivore Companion dog Working animal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Cassie! This is really helpful! We have been doing crate training since we got him and so far so good. I just started putting him on a leash around the house, although he is not very found of the leash 😅

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One more quick question - it is normal that he growls and gets really snappy if he doesn't get what we wants? Ive read beagles can be stubborn and this is my first beagle but I've never had a puppy that's so aggressive so I just want to be sure!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Beagles are stubborn and seem to take longer on various things like potty training.. just say NO BARKING when he growls. Get that Clicker.. when he follows a command click it and give a tiny treat..the sound lets him kmow he's done something right.. clickers may look a little different but the concept is the same. BTW.. my dog loves her crate.at this point I dont need to close the door..she just goes in on her own to sleep.
You are going to go through some frustrating times but it does get better.. just adjust as you find what works..
When your dog is about 5 months get into an obedience class. In the meantime get your dog to focus on your commands..
Stay on the forum for advice.
Here is my clicker which i dont need to use anymore...
Body jewelry Rectangle Material property Font Magenta

1 - 11 of 11 Posts