Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope somebody can share some advice. My beagle is 10 months and is becoming quite aggresive. He has always been a bit boisterous and could chase and nip and get over excited but is now biting us when we try to move him and sometimes unprovoked! Its no longer play biting and I am unsure how to correct him properly. I give a stern no and a time out until he is calm but nothing seems to work. We have dealt with the resources guarding and traded items for a treat since he was a pup but I have no idea how to get him to stop this. Any advice welcome

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
Hi
Does your dog have freedom or access to your house or furniture? I would restrict him to an area using folding gates so he doesnt rule the place. Has he been to obedience training class? If not, i would enroll him or get a trainer. Also keep a leash on your dog at all times in the house so he knows he's under control. It also makes it easy for you to grab the leash and stop any issues. My dog is now 9yrs old and still wears a leash in the house. She just drags it around. Here's a picture of Cassie with the leash.

Dont spank if the dog gets bitey..it will make things worse.
Get a clicker which is a cheap training tool. You can get one at a pet store or on line. Great training tool..watch YouTube videos on how to use one.
Hope these suggestions help..let us know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there - Agree with Cassie and sounds like your beagle is trying to be the boss, a dominant behavior that is progressing since you said he's always been boisterous and "bitey". Training is good (for you and anyone else in the house) and be consistent with it; he may be the type who always needs you to tell him what he is allowed/not allowed to do. You may be saying one thing but sending other signals, this is why having a trainer observe you with your dog is good. It's hard because they are so cute!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts