So sorry we couldn't help you enough, Austin! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Rainbow Bridge Memorials

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So sorry we couldn't help you enough, Austin!

Austin had to go for his last walk today. We've been having issues with him biting us since we got him, and he bit my husband, relatively unprovoked, today. We had decided the last time he bit that he had no more chances. I'm so sorry, little guy, that we didn't get to you sooner, to prevent you from getting so damaged!! I love you.
Austinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that Did he go back to the shelter?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

No- we couldn't, in good conscience, give him to someone else, possibly with children to get injured. We had to have him put down. We've gone over and over whether we could have done anything differently, but we keep coming back to that we made the right decision, as hard as it was. We've been crying for hours!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

OMG, you put a dog down because he bit you...UNBELIEVABLE!!! You couldn't find someone that had a little patience with him. Someone that could have offered him some training. PLEASE, DO NOT get another dog!
williadj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Excuse me- This is incredibly rude!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH WE WENT THROUGH WITH THIS DOG!!!! He has bitten us multiple times. We have tried everything that the vets and the trainers suggested. These are not just little bites- they required medical attention. He came to us as a biter, at death's door, and we gave him all the love, leadership, and training we possibly could. I am posting in my grieving process, and you have the NERVE to reply in such a cold, condescending manner?!?!?! That is unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

As an aside- If you really want to be mad at someone, be mad at the person, whoever it was, that abused him to the point where he started biting preemptively. I sure am! What a waste of what could have been an exceptional dog. It's so tragic. We tried implementing incompatible behaviors, we were incredibly careful to never be threatening when dealing with undesirable behavior, we tried positive reinforcement of desirable behaviors, and still we had a dog that could not be trusted. What is he somehow managed to escape, and one of the little kids in the neighborhood tried to be helpful and catch him for us? They may have gotten bit, and in my city, a dog that bites a child is often confiscated and put down without ever being able to see his family again- at least this way, he died in my arms, knowing that beyond all that he put us through, we loved him enough to make that very hard choice.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Nic

Oh my goodness so sad, all i can say is that you really must of been at the bitter end to come to that conclusion, he must of been an unhappy dog to be biting all of the time. So sorry for your loss x

Sent from my iPad using PetGuide
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm so sorry for your sad experience and a difficult decision you must not have made lightly.

When I took my dog to obedience class run by 3 K9 Sheriff Officers there was a dog that came to the class that was a rescue dog about 2-3 years old (can't remember the breed) and was very aggressive. The owner was hoping the training would help. The trainers went around to each dog and interacted with the dogs in a friendly manner to get a sense of their behavior. This one particular dog wanted to bite everyone. The Sheriff trainer quietly said to the owner "I strongly believe your dog is "mentally damaged" due to his past history and will never be rehabilitated by any amount of training and is a danger to you and others. I will contact you later about this dog's future, its an unfortunate situation"...the owner took the dog and left the class and never saw that dog again.

Hope this helps
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

OMG!! I am appalled and in shock at what I just read! Wow what a heartless thing to do! My Cocker Spaniel had biting issues as well but never did it even cross my mind to put him down... he lived 14 1/2 years God rest his soul and died of natural causes. I'm sorry I have no compassion for you, but my heart goes out to that poor dog.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Austinsmom. Please ignore all the negative comments on this post. Having interacted in many posts with you since I joined this forum it is quite obvious what a good and responsible owner you are.
I would have suggested that before people started to rip into you they should have read some of your previous posts. They would have come to the same conclusion as I had in that it must have been an excruciatingly painful decision you have made.
My 11 year old son was badly bitten by my ex husbands dog last year. This is a dog with a sad history too. I tried to have something done about it. But failed. So I have to worry every time my son goes there that it will happen again. I thank you for your sensible choice to potentially prevent a parent going through the pain of watching your child in agony and stitched up.
Sometimes these dogs have been through too much.
Rest in peace Austin. Let's hope you feel free now.
And god bless you for your bravery.
And can I suggest anyone else who wishes to rip into these people try's to walk in their shoes for just a moment before they post.
BUDDYTHEBEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement