Is my puppy too tiny??? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Rainbow Bridge Memorials

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my puppy too tiny???

My new beagle puppy is 13 weeks old and weighing 3.5 - 4 pounds. I realize he is really small but is he unusually small? Should I be worried? He is the sweetest little dog and I just want him to be ok!
Michy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just looked at a litter on Saturday of 14 week old pups and the runt of the litter was 3lbs. I'm not saying yours was the runt, but it's not unnatural!!
BucketDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't mind if he's small just don't want him to have health problems!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Did the breeder do any genetic screening? that is your best bet n finding a healthy puppy. If your concerned about her weight check with the breeder and the vet.
Health and Genetics

Breeder/Breeding Information
8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Vaccine standards!
Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

No genetic screening that I know of ...he looks perfectly proportional and absolutely adorable. Just so much smaller than other beagle puppies his age. I'm going to the vet next week to have him checked.

Do any other beagle owners have a puppy this size?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like you didnt get him from a reputable breeder/place. which may mean he has a under lying health issue, poor genetics, or is a mix.

to me a puppy at that age sounds like it should be much larger.

what has the vet said?
LAD85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

My appt is for next Tuesday. We are going to do a blood test to determine if there are any cogenital defects. I didn't realize how much smaller he was until I read these forums.... He is so sweet i really hope he is ok and just a late bloomer!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Don't jump to any conclusions because your breeder didn't do any genetic screening, that's not the only benchmark of a good or bad breeder. Wait to hear the test results, it may just be that you have a small Beagle, they do exist..

Be sure to let us know what you learn!
sr41056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

As long as she is otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry about her size. Just make sure she is healthy. genetic issues wont show up in blood test and they nromally dont show up until 22+ months old. The only thing your vet can really do is a CBC and thyriod testing whish is standard blood work. Unless she is showing signs of illness here is no real reason to be testing that I can think of.
Beagles
8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up?

Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed.

New Vaccine standards!
Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks! I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement