Our puppy Duncan has died. - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Rainbow Bridge Memorials

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Our puppy Duncan has died.

Our 3 1/2 month old beagle got suddenly very sick tonight. We called our regular vet across the river, but they were not available because of the holiday weekend. We called their emergency contact (in St Igance) and they told us to get our puppy to a vet on our side ASAP.

We called the emergency line for the Sault Ste Marie, ON vets and were told a vet would call us right away to assess the situation. About 4-5 minutes later a vet did phone, as soon as he heard we took our puppy to the USA side vet he said no one was available tonight and hung up on us refusing to help.

Our puppy died 3 hours later.

I thought vets were supposed to love animals and want to help them? I have never been so disgusted by a person's behaviour in my life. He refused to treat our puppy because we used an American vet? Why does it matter? He died tonight and he was just a baby, when something could have been done to save him.

He was so little and full of energy, and it's just killing me that he had to die. Especially in so much pain. We're both traumatized by this, and don't know what to do for our adult female beagle right now. We've gotten her some antianxiety drops to help keep her calm. She keeps smelling his trails and trying to find him, my poor girl.
SarahMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh no I am so sorry! That is truly sad that you were given the run around when trying to seek help for him. I know there are no words I can find to comfort you, but may he live on in your hearts forever. I am deeply saddened at your loss and pray that you are able to find some peace in this difficult time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kathiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm so sorry and agree this is not right. I know it sounds stupid but most vets are not the same as they used to be. I can't even find words to comfort you.
kutyuska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am truly truly sorry that this has happened. And saddened by the story of the vet. Thoughts and hugs to both of you and your older beagle.
baker'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh my goodness! This brought tears to my eyes... So sorry for your loss. That is just terrible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Myfave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am truely sorry for your loss. Please notify the breeder if possible also put forth a complaint in writing about the vets.
(((hugs))) I will light a candel.
8,109 homeless beagles on Petfinder right now. Why are their breeders not stepping up?

Research, All I can do is open new doors for you to explore. Act and buy responsibly, your choice is the future of the breed.

New Vaccine standards!
Miss Bones 2002-2010
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am so sorry for your loss!

I hope that when you can face it, you call the vet and let him know that your puppy died from his neglect. Also, I would contact the agency that regulates vets and make a formal complaint. It will not bring Duncan back, but maybe it will save another animal's life.
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I am truly sorry for your loss I cannot imagine treatment being refused, how awful.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to araine

Truly sorry for your loss....I honestly could not imagine what you are going through. We are all here to support you if you need anything.
araine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. A local online newssource wants to try and run a story about what happened to us and Duncan. I posted below what I wrote our for him to look at.

Apparently Canadian vets are allowed to refuse treatment to any animal because they are small business owners. The answering service for the vets wouldn't give us the name of the vet that was on call that night, but we know someone who may be able to find out the name for us. We plan to file a formal complaint even if there is nothing the college of vets can do.

We're going to call the breeder tomorrow night. It's just been to hard to talk on the phone about it right now. I didn't sleep for over 48 hours, and have only been sleeping with the help of melatonin. I honestly feel traumatized, and just horrible that there was nothing we could do to save him.

"Our puppy (Duncan) was in fit form all day. Running, playing, being a normal puppy. It was around 9PM and he had an accident in the house and was seeming kind of lethargic. We noticed his breathing was laboured and decided to call our vet (in the USA). No one was there because of the American Thanksgiving. So we decided to try the local veterniary emergency line.
We called, and I guess it's an answering service for all the vets in town. They said they would have a vet call us back right away. In about 5 minutes a vet called back (didn't identify himself), asked us where the puppy had been vaccinated. We told him we took him across the river, but no one was available there right now as it was a holiday and we were really worried about him. The vet proceeded to say "Well no one is available here right now either." and then hung up on us.
At this point we were desperate and called the vet emergency contact for our American vet. She turned out to be in St Ignace. She got us to check his air ways, we did that and could not see anything blocking them. We checked all the electrical/cable cords in the house. Nothing had been chewed. Our floors were clean, nothing on them and he was always supervised by someone. If he wasn't, he was in his crate so he couldn't have gotten into anything. She said we needed to get him seen straightaway, and gave us the emergency line for Sault, ON vets. We then told her what had happened when we called there. She told us to call another vet in Sault, MI, to see if anyone was there to help us. We called there, and left a message but no one got back to us.
At this point Duncan had stopped breathing, so my boyfriend started giving him mouth to mouth to help him breathe. He came back to us, and we called the vet in St Ignace again. At this point we thought maybe it was an allergic reaction. She looked up the amount of Benydryll we could give him and told us to call her back in 15-20 minutes to see if it had worked at all.
We called the Sault, ON dispatch line again, and the answering service told us that the vet would not work with someone who uses an American vet. So we were screwed. There was literally nothing we could do. We asked for the name of the vet on call, she said she COULD NOT release that information to us.
Twenty minutes later, we thought Duncan was getting better. We called the vet back in St Ignace, and said we think he may be getting better but it may just be false hope on our part. We thanked her again for trying to help us save our puppy.
He didn't get better...He got worse. My boyfriend had to give him air a couple more times. Then Duncan started coughing up blood and twitching. We tried everything we could think of, using google trying to find anything to save him. But he was gone. He died with us by his side in a pool of his own blood on our kitchen floor. He had spent his last hours screaming in pain, when someone on this side could have at least taken a look at him. If there was nothing to be done, he should've at least been able to get some medication to pass peacefully. He should not have had to suffer like that, we should not have had to be traumatized like that.
Our adult female beagle is on anti-anxiety drops right now, because of the stress this has caused her.
In August when we adopted Callee from the Humane Society we got her vaccinated at a local vet. A couple weeks later she got an UTI and they told us we had to take her to the clinic where she was spayed...In Alberta. This is why we started going across the river in the first place."
SarahMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement