Need someone to talk to..... - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Rainbow Bridge Memorials

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need someone to talk to.....

No, we haven't had to put Chipper down yet...but I am a wreck just knowing that it's not that far away. He is so thin, eats little from me, we haven't found a combination he likes anymore. I almost wish we wouldn't have taken him to the vet for this probelm in the first place. I would really like to visit with some one who has been here and had to put down a beloved friend. Please PM me...if you don't want to share on this forum, or this is against the rules. I would like to know what happens, and how you know it's the time. I can barely think of anything else.

Thank you so much.

Cathy, cobismom

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Need someone to talk to.....

I'm so sorry that you're facing this heartbreaking decision. We've had to put down beloved pets over the years, and it's a tough thing to do. In our case, it was usually something that happened suddenly and we didn't have to go through the added agony of watching our friends go downhill. That's not to say it was easy, but we were spared the additional pain.

I don't have a recent experience to share, but will say that as a rule the pet will let you know when it's time. My Shadow was the last one we had to let go. He was given a shot to relax him, and we held him and talked to him then the vet gave the shot that put him to sleep. It was quick and peaceful. Some vets will come to your home if you prefer.

You'll be in my thoughts.

Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Cathy, I am so sorry that you are going through this. I haven't had to go through it yet, so I don't have any helpful words, but I did want to reassure you that probably everyone here has thought about it, knowing that it is in our future, too, so you are certainly not alone.

You are in my thoughts.

If you don't get the responses you are hoping for, I can put you in touch with a very sweet lady who has had many Labs and has been through your heartbreak many times over. She is one of the most kind-hearted people I have ever met. I am certain she would help you any way she can. Just PM me if would like to talk with her.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am so sorry. This is one of the hardest things to do. People always say you will know when it is time and you will. There is just a change in them and you will know it is enough. My vet is very good about telling me what he thinks. It is never an easy decision. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry, I know from experience the pain - the actual physical pain of your heartbreaking when you have to put a beloved friend to sleep.

It is much harder on you and then it will for Chipper, in my experience it's almost like they "know" the pain will soon be over and an overwhelming calmness comes over them. Remember how lucky you both were to be in eachothers lives.

You'll be in my prayers, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

we've been sniffed!!

Shenniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Cathy, I'm very sorry to hear that you are going through this. I know how it feels. I went through a similar situation three years ago when I lost my Amber. She went into kidney failure and despite all the treatments and medications, she just kept going down hill. After three weeks Mike and I couldn't see her suffer anymore. I could tell by the look on her face it was time. That was on a Wednesday night. I had a three day weekend from work and had decided when I left work that Thursday it would be time. I just knew. She had a seizure that Thursday morning and she died at home in my arms so I didn't have to take her in. God, I loved that dog.

Like luv-my-miley said, it's physically painful...like your heart is literally breaking. But they don't feel anything. It's peaceful and painless for our fur babies. As hard as it was to say goodbye to my sweet girl, it was even harder to watch her suffer. I know that hearing "you'll know when it's time" is frustrating sometimes. But you will. You know Chipper better than anyone else. He'll let you know when it's time to say goodbye. You'll be in my thoughts.
jenn1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am so very sorry that you are going through this. I just put my 10 year old dachshund down in January. It is physically and emotionally painful, but like it has been said above, it is much more painful for us than for them. In fact, it isn't painful for them at all. It's peaceful. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me her or PM me.
DaisysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, I have never had to do it and am dreading the day when I do because I know I would be a wreck as well. Just try to do what is best for your pup, he will let you know when it is time.
Spencer's Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I understand. I've sent you a PM. Jen-n-Jersey has experienced it with her Amber like I did with Olivia.

You are probably very tired right now and in a haze. And it's true...Chipper will tell you when he's ready.

~Denise
Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, the verdict is in. Chipper has cancer in his stomach and there is nothing that can be done. We have been given some cortisone which according to the vet will allow us to gather our wits, say our goodbyes, contact our oldest son, and give Chip some relief from his symptoms. I got all the information from the vet and tech about what happens and what to do or what can be done at the end. It was comforting to know that they care as much as they do, but I am not dealing with this well, nor telling my son about Chipper. This is the part that no one tells you about when you give your heart away. Please pray for us, we all know it's not going to be an easy thing....for any of us here or at my house. Chip has been a good dog, he has always been there for us, we will be there for him.

Irony, a friend wrote and said her female beagle just had 10 puppies...irony and pain.

Thanks for your faith and courage.

Cathy J

Chipper and cobismom

Casie and Cobi's mom
cobismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement