Buddy's birthday... - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Rainbow Bridge Memorials

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buddy's birthday...

...was March 21st. He would have been 17. He died nearly two years ago on June 10, 2006. He was not a beagle (English cocker) but was a wonderful and devoted family member. I was three when we got him, then Dad and I trained him to be a 'hunting' dog. We did very little shooting, but all of our friends loved to hunt with Bud also. He was everything a dog should be: kind, funny, forgiving, steadfastly loyal. He was barrel-chested and all boy. He was my dearest and closest friend. Almost four years after we got him, we brought home Daisy, another English cocker, and he was truly devoted to her. It was so beautiful to watch them hunt together; she always deferred to him, ran right beside him, and honored all his points (didn't flush his game once he'd signaled that he'd found it). We always joked that we should have named them Old Dan and Little Ann, from "Where the Red Fern Grows" because of their devotion to each other. They loved us dearly and went everywhere with us. Camping, fishing, any outdoor activity was made more lively with those two. Buddy loved the water, and would often wade in to chase ducks while Daisy whined and fussed at him from the shore. After I had to put Buddy to sleep (my best friend died in my arms), Daisy pined for him desperately, and her recently diagnosed Cushing's Syndrome grew worse and worse. Her once tiny heart murmur grew pronounced. Of course this was due to her advancing age; but Buddy's death did age her tremendously. When we moved to Tennessee, allergies she'd never had flared up, she slowed down a lot, and we knew we were on borrowed time when the seizures began. She died in my dad's arms after some brief distress while looking for me (pacing by the garage door as quittin' time came and went). I came home not five minutes later. Barely 13 months after our beautiful boy had died, our baby girl was gone too. Although they weren't beagles, their lives and legacies continue with Henry, and they were special, special dogs.
Thanks for letting me share...
Pack Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Buddy's birthday...

Sharing the pain of a loss helps one to overcome the terrible grief. Your dogs had long, happy lives and will be waiting at the bridge.
angelaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Buddy sounds like he was a wonderful dog. What a long and loving life he had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brisen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you all. Henry reminds me so much of both Buddy and Daisy that it's really unbelieveable.
Pack Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's never easy to lose a beloved furkid - my Keeshond, Sasha had a long, happy, healthy life - and has been gone since 1998 - but I STILL miss her. You say that Henry reminds you of Buddy and Daisy - I've always felt that my Chloe (my "tiny beagle") is the "reincarnation" of my mom's poodle, Ari - she has so many of his cute little ways and expressions. Buddy and Daisy will always live in your heart - and I firmly believe in the "Rainbow Bridge" - it's the only way I've been able to deal with the loss of my babies.
beaglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know how awfull that pain is as well! Snapper was the beag/fox-
terrier that "hooked me" on the beagle breed! But I am thankfull
that I got to spend "one final day" with him before his time to
die came! He was likely 3 to 5 yrs old when I adopted him from
the shelter & lived for 13 yrs! Duke was Pops 2nd adopted beag
of unknown age that lived for 13 yrs as well...So Goober is a
record for our family!!! (I will post what I can) next saturday
but when I get my rebate check in may, I will buy a new puter to
share picks of Goober at the local dog park!!!
Advertisement