Newly adopted beagle - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Newly adopted beagle

Hello:

My name is Lois and 3 weeks ago I adopted Chessie who I'm told is 6+ yrs old beagle by the local shelter. I've read a lot online to get to know about beagles but still have some questions. I am learning all the time as we get to know each other but still don't know how to get her to play. I bought her a few toys but she's not interested in anything other than a good natural bone

Today for the first time she got so excited after coming in form the cold she was just jumping around and running in my small apt. It was good to see her so excited but not sure what prompted her She's a very happy dog and loves to get brushed and pampered. She does lately get into barking when outside such as when she sees anyone outside she thinks should get here attention and perhaps come pet her. Not sure about what baying is. She does have a mind of her own when out for walks ... that "selective deafness" of beagles I read about. I'm so glad I got educated to the extent I have so I would understand her sniffing everything and everywhere we walk and having that one track mind while doing so.
LoisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome. Thanks for rescuing. My dog is pretty much over playing with toys like she did when she was younger. I did buy a few toys not long ago and she has spurts of playing. I say..."where's your buddy?" And she runs to get one and we have a short play.
Beagles are HUGE on sniffing and following a scent. Thats why they're not off-leash dogs. They'll run after a scent and get away.
My dog always has a leash on in the house which she just drags around...she thinks she's under control.LOL. We're here for questions.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Congratulations on adopting Chessie! Any pics I ask hopefully?

Yes, following their noses...they do it well.

It might take her awhile to settle in with the toys...or she might just be a 'calmer' stage of life.
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thank you for rescuing Chessie! Oliver was 6 when we got him from the shelter. In my experience with many rescue dogs, it really takes a good 3-6 months before they really settle in and their full personality comes out. My two love to play with soft squeaky toys, even at 10 and 14 they still play.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for your comments I've had cats only for many years and this is the first dog since back @ 1979 which was an outside dog. I think it was meant to be to adopt Chessie as she seems to be a great dog. Her personality is showing more and more ... the faces she makes tells me a lot now. I do know when it's time to go for a walk as it's a very funny expression with her ears lifted and tail wagging. She knows I get the message as I get prepared to go outside. I'm glad it been mild weather-wise except for the past couple days.

We do have this issue when walking and she decides to go one way and me wanting to go my way. I now call this the Chessie standoff. I hold my ground until she knows I'm not moving any further so she has no choice but to go my way ... LOL. Of course when she's ready. When inside she listens and comes when I call her to me. I haven't gotten her to lay down yet so I can brush her belly ... so I wait until she lays down by herself and then she will let me roll her over to get both sides. She has great trust in me which is a surprise because there was a few times i thought perhaps she had been abused .... don't know.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I did add her photo as my avatar but it's not showing up yet?? So I created an album and posted the one photo I have at this time. I need to take more she has such a friendly face
Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

We trained our beagles to walk by our side by using tasty treats. We keep the leash short and have them walk "by me" and reward them with hot dog pieces when they behave on the walk. If you let them have the whole leash they will pull because they are on the hunt.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh I see the pic when I go to your profile page. She's a cutie.
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I went to your profile page to see too. Chessie is adorable. My Natty Boh is a mix too. I did the Embark test on him. He is about 65% beagle. The rest is a bit of Pom, Pekingese, and Chow - in that order. LOL!

Fun games for beagles, generally include the nose. They love using their noses. You can make a scent trail or hide things for Chessie to find. I always wanted to do a barn hunt.
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here she is!

Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement