Greetings from UAE! - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Greetings from UAE!

Hello Forum Members! We are fostering a sweet older beagle, approximately 8 years old. She was dumped during our hottest time of the year here in the desert, and followed my husband and I home from a morning walk with our Saluki. Suzi was clearly used as a breeding machine, and that seems to have taken its toll on her body. She is incredibly sweet and makes us laugh every day. However, she is very different from our Saluki, so I am hoping that reading your posts will help us to understand her better. I have many questions about beagle personality and health, as we are quite worried about her well being. Thank you for accepting me into your group!
SoundSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome. My girl is 7yr 8months. Ive had her from 8 weeks. First I recommend a veterinary comprehensive exam and vaccinations to make sure she's healthy especially since you have another dog. Discuss with the vet spaying the dog so she doesnt have more liters.
Beagles are pack animals..i.e. they like being with you. Most likely she'll bond with your other dog..hopefully the two are getting along. My dog like to go in her crate to nap or chill...in fact shes in there right now. My dog has slowed down quite a lot from the craziness. Feed your dog a quality food.
If you have some specific questions just post.
Here is Cassie...
Attached Thumbnails
Greetings from UAE!-20190121_081320_1568485199542.jpg  

Last edited by Cassie; 09-14-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the welcome and reply, Cassie! She has been with us since mid summer, and she is getting along splendidly with our other dog and the cats! Her medical issues are confusing. Unless we can get her sorted and healthy, I don't know how she can be adopted out. (Which would be a shame because she would be a perfect companion dog for someone.) She has been vaccinated and will be sterilized this week, unless her medical issues prevent it. She went into heat which delayed that process. Poor girl, her boobs hang so low- I can't imagine how many litters she has had in her life. Since mid summer, she has been treated with antibiotics twice for UTIs. We switched her food to Hills prescription diet for Urinary Care to help with sediment in her urine. She has also had an x-ray which showed a slightly enlarged heart. We are very concerned because her breathing is so pig like all the time, and when she is on walks she sounds like a freight train. Its hard to watch and hear her struggling so much to breathe. The vet said no heart murmurs can be heard, but prescribed a very low dose of diuretic to see if it would aid her breathing. The heat here is a huge factor and I understand she wasn't meant to live in this climate. She is also overweight, weighing 17 kg (37.5 lbs). The more I listen to her, the more I think that her breathing issues are nasal or soft pallet or throat related. She just has that constricted sound that kids get when they have the croup or something. (She is not coughing, though.) Her bark is hoarse, too. Sigh- she is a sweetheart, and *quite stubborn*. My family is learning to appreciate living with a beagle full of personality. (Last night I closed the door of the room I was in to get some peace and quiet. She saw me close the door.....so she peed a lake right outside the door. She does this anytime I go upstairs without her or leave without her. Doesn't matter if everyone else is home and in the same room with her!!! I have to think a lot more about my movements around the house and crate her more than I feel necessary to avoid many pee lakes!)

Old 09-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Its going to take time for adjustments since you're also dealing with health issues. Take her out on a leash and say something like I say..."Go peepee" so she knows what she's to do then praise big time when she does...
For sure she's overweight...no doubt she was probably "free-fed"...beagles will eat whenever there is food. Feed 2x/day with equal portions. My dog weights 26.7 lbs and she's steady at that. I dont think it will take long to lose weight if you monitor the food amounts. She'll probably breathe better once weight comes off.
Its been hot here where I live..100F. Cassie likes being outside but during the summer I monitor how long she's outside....oh and she hates rain too!...lol.
Haha...you discovered a trait..stubbornness....i suggest doing as much training with commands...i tell my dog something like go to your bed..and she will. Shes also learned hand commands...all this takes time..but give it a go.
I give tiny treats , not whole biscuits.
Keep with the forum...we're here for advice.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thank you SO much for helping her and opening your home to her. Beagles are quite a wonderful breed. I have had greyhounds with my beagles and the sighthounds and scent hounds get along quite well. I rescued one of my beagles from a "kill shelter" and we think she was used for breeding also. She got frequent UTI's also until we got her healthier. Beagles do put on weight easily but diet and exercise can help quickly.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

You are wonderful!

When you mentioned breathing I wondered about weight. Has her thyroid been tested along with putting her on less food/more exercise (which you likely want to be careful with with her breathing).

I'm thinking too if you're in the UAE, being overweight and walking in that heat (my cousin worked as a teacher in Dubai for two years and just came back this summer, so I've heard about the heat) that could maybe explain some of it, though the heart enlargement could as well?

My beagle mix Neb has a UTI at the moment. Did the cultures show what antibiotics would be most effective?
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thankfully the temps are starting to cool down! Whew! We take the dogs for their long walk early in the mornings, starting around 5:30am. No doubt this summer was miserable, even in early mornings. Throughout the day, they go just outside the compound to do their business and sniff a bit, usually every 4 hours. Then my husband walks them longer in the evenings.

The peeing is really trying for me. I'm so glad for tile floors!! Just now, she blessed us with a lake, shot me a 'whatever' look, then strolled right into her crate!!! She came in from her long walk only 2 hours ago! What a stinker!

I will ask about her urine being tested for antibiotic response. I wasn't told if it was. I'll also as about her thyroid when she goes in for her sterilization tomorrow morning.

Thank you all so much for your responses and advice!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

You may have to consider limiting the area or creating a pen to deter peeing everywhere despite a tile floor. Look in to getting a "clicker" as a cheap training tool. You can find one either in a pet shop or on the internet..I'll post a picture of one. Click the clicker when the dog pees/poops outside...its also used when the dog follows any command...its a re-enforcement tool. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to use it.
Hey i slipped on water on a tile floor and fractured my shoulder so be careful.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here's my clicker. I put it on a cord to hang around my neck....
Attached Thumbnails
Greetings from UAE!-20190916_112006_1568658075088.jpg  
Old 09-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wonder if she still has a UTI. Has her urine been tested clear?

Another good thing to get is the enzymatic cleaning stuff you can get for cat (or dog) urine in pet stores.
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement