Is This Normal? - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is This Normal?

Sorry I’m advance for the long post!! I didn’t have any experience with beagles before I got Perrin and I find myself asking that question about a million times a day! Are these things normal for an almost-4-month purebred beagle puppy?:

He doesn’t sleep or even rest on his own. I don’t mean he has a lot of energy or he’s super active. He literally won’t sleep/nap unless I put him in the crate and it’s a minor miracle when he stops running around and playing to rest for even a few minutes! Normal?

When he gets tired, Perrin gets VERY energetic, almost frantic, he loses all focus, gets much more aggressive, and tries to hump anything he can get his paws on (preferably mom or dad). It’s pretty much the only time he displays that last behavior. Normal?

He really doesn’t like to eat a lot at designated meal times. Sometimes he’ll chow down but most of the time he loses interest after a couple bites of kibble. I do other things to get him to eat and his favorite is kibble in a clear plastic water bottle. I’ll also spread kibble around the room for him to hunt, put it in toys, and hide treats in his bowl to encourage him to eat. I don’t mind at all because obviously he’s a high drive dog, so that keeps him occupied for a lot of the day and with all those methods I can usually get him to eat the full recommended serving, not always. But should I be trying to stick to a stricter feeding schedule? I felt like I was horrible and starving him when I was only giving him food at 3 mealtimes- not including treats- because at the end of most days he’d only have beaten a fraction of the recommendation!

We live in a 3rd floor walk-up and usually take Perrin for 3-5 short/medium walks. On average, he’s outside for about an hour per day, but not walking the whole time since he spends a lot of time sniffing around and exploring. He mastered the stairs pretty quickly and now walks up and down the majority of the time. I’m worried we’re over-stressing his joints, especially with the stairs, but I’m also worried that picking him up and carrying him up & down the stairs that many times per day increases the chance of injuries.

Perrin and the cat, Flerken like to chase and play together all the time. I know Perrin is being playful because he does the bow and I assume that if Flerken really didn’t like it, he’d just leave the room or climb somewhere Perrin can reach him. But sometimes Flerken will get a bit too aggressive, like swatting a little too hard(he hasn’t left visible scratches) and yesterday he bit Perrin’s ear before I broke it up. I never know when to step in because it seems like harmless fun until suddenly it’s not.

Thanks everyone in advance for any advice you can offer! Sorry for the extra-extra-extra long post.
Pintsize90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome.saw the pictures. Sooo cute!
Now I tell myself each time a new person joins with a puppy and has questions for help that I wont get sucked in with advice....since they dont stay on the forum long term...
Ok, had to get that said so hoping you'll keep returning. Yes beagle puppies are full of energy and get ready....they dont slow down until about 3 years. Give your dog frequent naps in the crate especially when they get over excited...excitement will lead to biting/nipping...normal behavior. Dont play rough house games which overly excites the dog. Get a clicker at the petstore which is a cheap training tool and use it to reward the dog when it does something good like when it potties where you want. Go to YouTube to find loads of training videos on how to use it.
My dog never liked kibble so i feed Freshpet.. its found in the refrigerated section of the petstore or at Target. I cut off the amount and warm it slighty and mash it up. My dog loves it. There is a puppy and adult version of the food.
Keep your dog in a restricted area in the apartment since mischief will happen. They dont distinquish between your good stuff and toys. By the way never let your dog go off leash since beagles will run away and follow their nose.
Go to Search on this forum and put in keywords to find past posts with loads of advice..
Crate
Biting
Clicker training
Potty training
Obedience training
Food www.dogfoodadvisor.com
Leash
Pulling

Cassie says hi
Attached Thumbnails
Is This Normal?-20190121_081320_1564937056624.jpg   Is This Normal?-20190104_154225_1564937079567.jpg  
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had Neb from a puppy but he's a part-beagle so I don't know how well stuff translates. Definitely experiment with foods though!

But in my Xerxes experience (we got him around 1.5-2 years old) - young beagles can be a bit....full of beans. Xerxes still is. He's kinda crazy. We love it, but it is a lot sometimes.

Agree to not let him off leash. We have a saying in this house - nose on, ears off.

Re: stairs. Joints take longer to fully close in larger breed dogs. Not sure about a beagle, so not sure how stairs would be stressing him. I'm sure 3 flights is okay? Could you ask your vet too? I'm sorry I can't be more help there.

When he gets overstimulated and bitey too, one thing you can try doing is redirecting him onto a toy. It's a pretty normal thing for a dog and we did it with Neb - he learned very quickly appropriate play.
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Beagles are definitely scent hounds. Rascal continually walks with her nose to ground. She has an excellent memory, if she found or got food in a place or from a person. She will Always head in that direction!

techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good advice so far! A couple questions. Do you have him on any set schedule? Is he sleeping in his crate at night time? I would highly suggest a schedule. So up in the morning outside for potty/walk if you have time then. Feed breakfast, pick up food if he doesn't eat it. You don't need to hide food all over you are kind of creating a problem with feeding this way. He won't be hungry at meal time if he is finding treats all day. After breakfast again take outside, got on a walk let him sniff. They don't have to be long walks your 3-5 short walks are good. Beagles like to sniff. Do you have an area where he can run? You can have a longline on him for now. My Beagle is fine off leash in our enclosed yard. Start working on leave it and teaching come to you. Make it a big party to come to you. Have really nummy treats, but again teach this while on a long line.

Bring him in and let him be in your house in a safe area. Don't give free run of the house until he deserves it. Do you have a Kitchen you can keep him in? Have lots of toys and keep and eye on him for potty clues. It's a lot of work I won't lie. Since he's still young I would feed him 3 meals per day. He might be a picky one. Cassies freshpet is a good food and he might like that.

After lunch put him in his crate for a nap for a couple hours. Have toys in there and chew items. Let him whine, don't fall into it and give up. Turn a radio on in the room and close the door so it's quiet in there. Take him out after his nap and again walk and run with him. Allow him to play in the house when you come in and feed supper around 4. Keep watching him and keep him occupied. It will be a lot of work but very worth it soon. I would put him down for another nap after supper and then play and tire him out for bed time. I put mine to bed at 10 but when she was younger it was 11 as we wanted to have her sleep through the night so we put her to bed later.

My dog slowed down before 3. Maybe I was lucky I don't know. I just kept her busy and as long as she was busy she was good. The humping, I think that is just over excited and once you get him where he is forced to rest then it will improve.

As far as the cat. I had a cat when my Beagle was a puppy. My Vet said leave them be the cat could get away from the dog if he wanted to so they always got along, and the cat would swat the dog so the dog learned when to stop. My post is long as well. I get sucked into giving advice because I remember when I was new on here and there were many a days when I wondered what on earth had I done by getting this crazy puppy. Good luck!
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cassie, Nebuchadnezzar,Techie, Autumn’s Mom (I dunno if there’s a way to reply to reply to specific posters);
Thank y’all so much!! Seriously... Confession: I was a little nervous to post because even though I prepared as much as I could to get a puppy, I feel like I still have no idea what I’m doing 😰 But after your responses (plus many, MANY discussions with my vet and my trainer) I’m actually a little more confident that I’m actually heading in the right direction 😁

Good news- I got some freeze dried beef kibble topper to crumble over his food. Perrin LOVES it. He eats almost his complete meals now. I mix the leftovers with his training treats so I’m not feeding him too many snacks. I checked in with the vet (again) and he’s very healthy. Everyone I’ve asked has said the stair thing isn’t a problem so I’m glad there’s consensus!

To answer a couple questions: I stay home with the puppy all day and I try to stick to a regular schedule, something like this:
8:00 Walk then back in crate
10:00 Breakfast
10:30 Walk
12:00 Nap
1:00 Lunch (breakfast leftovers)
1:30 Walk
4:30 Nap
6:30 Walk
8:00 Dinner
8:30 Walk
9:30 Sleep
Sometimes a potty break between 11-1 if he’s awake
He doesn’t sleep through the whole night, but lays quietly in the crate and has only had a handful of accidents. So at least that part of housebreaking is going well!
Please let me know if that’s an ok schedule or if I need to adjust!!
He’s only in the crate during nap times (usually 1-2 hours at a time). I started doing 5 minute cool-downs in the crate too when he’s getting too naughty.

Oh! And I said something confusing before. I wasn’t going around like the puppy treat Easter bunny and hiding treats for him to find during the day LOL! I would take a handful and toss a few in different directions so he’d sniff them out to find them. I thought I was trying to give different kinds of enrichment but I understand if that’s silly.

Funny story: it turns out that one of the nurses at our Veterinarian is dating Perrin’s obedience trainer and my baby is the star of his class (of 2 🤣😂🤣&#x1f602!

Please enjoy these pictures of the most smartest pupper in Puppy level 1 ❤️ And I especially love the one where he’s waiting all politely and Flerken is in the background just glaring at Perrin for no reason
Attached Thumbnails
Is This Normal?-15d30e8b-d970-4685-a4a4-5c30eb46a4a0_1565227631735.jpg   Is This Normal?-5fc2ce79-c162-411a-bd8b-ae2467257777_1565227686891.jpg   Is This Normal?-501611ce-9a92-4875-8c83-2f8293a9aa15_1565227761689.jpg   Is This Normal?-b73dfae2-c77b-426a-8a92-32fcf0f7e503_1565227792810.jpg  
Old 08-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Adorable pictures! Its a learning process for all involved. You have to figure out what works or doesnt work. I swear Cassie got her Master's degree in out-smarting me. It takes lots of patience and humor...oh ya I had tears when I thought...what did I get in to?..lol.
I break up a treat and toss on the floor when I leave as a distration.
Question...what leftovers are you talking about? Human food?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think she's talking about leftover puppy breakfast, not human food...but I could be wrong.

This all looks great to me. Especially if Perrin is doing well with housebreaking.

(As a warning, if Neb was anything to go by, be prepared for a destructive puppy phase. He destroyed an easy chair, ate a box of books (well, chewed them up, poor books), etc., etc. This was when Neb was in the 9-14mo old phase if I'm remembering right though. I got smarter about crating him rather than leaving him locked in the 'dog room' by himself with the poor chair and books. He turned into a dog you could trust throughout the house except the kitchen and whatever room the cats litterboxes are (sigh).)

Also, heh at Flerken.

Perrin (and Hiccup) are giving me a serious case of beagle puppy fever! So adorable!
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh yah...that destructive phase... cassie chewed up the nice thick patio chair cushions. I cant afford to replace those very expensive cushions...let me just say cotton stuffing floating all over the yard. And then there were those 5 dog beds...lol. i had to barricade the fireplace since cassie insisted on getting inside and move furniture to block the blinds....
I thought those days would never end...but they did a little at a time. Cassie is not destructive now at all.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Leftovers from breakfast. Definitely no people food 😊 I mean I’ve heard that sometimes raw meat as a special treat is ok? But he’s probably too young for that.

I’m super excited that people are picking up on the Flerken reference 😁😁😁 Quick OT tangent: I’ve been a Captain Marvel stan for years (my one hipster claim) and DH & I have been explaining our cat’s name for forever. I seriously didn’t think they’d be able to fit the “Flerken” thing into the movie so I literally SQUEALED out loud when the alien says “that’s not a cat...” Aaaandd of course since then it went from “yay! We finally don’t have to explain our cat’s name!” To “No we didn’t name our cat after a mere movie! His name was an obscure(ish) comic book reference to demonstrate that we’re REAL fans!” 😂🤣😂🤣
Attached Thumbnails
Is This Normal?-fdff2eea-b855-4f50-a890-a100cb3fb73e_1565279512238.jpg   Is This Normal?-38dd848a-7ccc-4bb1-9093-198f462f1f91_1565279543845.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement