Arya 🐾 just over a month with us - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Introductions

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arya 🐾 just over a month with us

Hello all you Beagle lovers 😊
It's just a little (long) update to where we're at.

It has been a great month and a bit but it also has been VERY challenging. I was brought to tears quite a lot trying to deal with our puppy. We MAY have underestimated having a beagle puppy a little bit but I have met wonderful and experienced people here and on our walks, it really helped and it is so rewarding when Arya greets us, especially in the mornings and when we come back to her from running our errands.

🐾 She is used to her crate now and even though she still cries a little when we leave, she either ends up chewing a toy or a treat or sleeping in there. But we need a bigger one now to make sure she can move more freely in it and really be able to feed her in it, etc. It is not enough space there at the moment.

🐾 She is NOT YET a barker or loud howler. We are still waiting for this to happen.

🐾 She sits on command, responds to her name so much better, rolls over and started to give a paw. She is trying to be cute and rolls over for us just to get a treat too ❤️ she is getting better at fetching - and what I mean is to give the toy back to us so that we can throw it again.

🐾 She LOVES to play football at home with 3 tennis balls 🤣 it is hillarious to watch her

🐾 Her walking has improved so much, she responds to "wait" before we cross a road. We are definitely teaching her to walk the walk rather than lie down and chew things all the time. But we are watching she is not "overwalked".

🐾 She walks on a lead nicely, however she sometimes chews on it especially when she doesn't want to go back home yet (even when it has been 45mins or an hour of being on a walk playing/lying down/chewing/catching sticks/playing with other dogs.
It is great to see she is actually recognising where we're going now or where we could go.

🐾 Potty training wise - she has not done a poop in the house since couple of days after we'd brought her home. Still couple of wee accidents, especially in the evening, but she is in that in-between stage of being able to hold it for longer but she is not quite there yet sometimes. But overall it is going well
🐾 Night time - she is actually managing to sleep from about 9.30pm to 5am!!! Woop! Woop! This has happened only recently. I think it's time to start leaving her in the crate downstairs (which is where we are now and I actually sleep in the same room with her - but not as close as it used to be - right t by our bed)
🐾 She loves to have a drink of water from the canal (we are in the Netherlands) or nearby lake. She did manage to fall in it couple of times (only shallow waters). Ooops... But I don't think she will be an olympic dog swimmer any time soon... 😁

Few recent pictures are attached for you 🤗 Thank you for reading 😊Arya 🐾 just over a month with us-img_20190522_143030_1559303781195.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Arya 🐾 just over a month with us-img_20190528_112916_1559303801391.jpg   Arya 🐾 just over a month with us-img_20190527_100530_1559303823413.jpg  
Mysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like things are actually going great! Its a challenge for awhile but it gets better...yah I had tears too...lol.
More and more my dog responds positively to things I tell her...I'll say why dont you go lay down in your bed or crate...she turns and goes straight to either. She sees the leash in my hand and comes to me for it. While i start fixing her food I say better go sit down and she does...lol
If the chewing on the leash continues get a chain type and it will stop.
Good job!
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Sounds like things are actually going great! Its a challenge for awhile but it gets better...yah I had tears too...lol.
More and more my dog responds positively to things I tell her...I'll say why dont you go lay down in your bed or crate...she turns and goes straight to either. She sees the leash in my hand and comes to me for it. While i start fixing her food I say better go sit down and she does...lol
If the chewing on the leash continues get a chain type and it will stop.
Good job!
Bless her! She seems to me like such a well behaved beagle, compared to some horror pictures I have seen on the net! 🤣😭
Thanks a lot for your words. Your advise here has helped me to reassess certain things.

I have definitely noticed the least frustrated we get with her (vocally) the more she responds to us. She does feel like a proper member of our family and even though there are loads of tears for me still to come, I am feeling more human now and see how it is all worth it 😊

Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the update! It's always good to hear about progress

techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
Thanks for the update! It's always good to hear about progress [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

techie
No problem 😁
Old 05-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

You'll start noticing that certain mischievous behavior stops...cassie always liked to pull a dish towel off the kitchen counter and run around the house . Now if she pulls one down that satisfies the adventure and she doesn't run around with it. It can be subtle and you might not even notice the improvement at first.
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

AW! She is adorable!
Natty Boh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

So happy to hear the update! Good! I've been wondering.

I think puppies go through a leash chewing phase. We'd just remove it from Neb's mouth and keep doing so until he got the idea. Took a bit of time. Every now and then when he's really excited though, even at 11...
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

She is really cute!
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement