looking for food recs - weight and anal gland - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question looking for food recs - weight and anal gland

Misty is currently at 30 lbs and needs to be at most 25 lbs, ideally 22 lbs per the vet. She is 12" at the shoulder and just turned 4 years old. She is on Nutro's weight management kibble. I feed 330 calories of that a day and then her treats, including table food, run around another 200, for a total of around 530 calories a day. She is 12" at the shoulder and just turned 4 years old. We walk around 3 - 4 miles a week, even in the winter. We go back to the vet in May and I am working to have her around 25 lbs by then.

Here are my problems/questions:

1. She hates her Nutro..what can I add to help with that? Or is there a better tasting (to dogs) weight management food to feed?

2. The Nutro is also supposed to help her with her anal glands, and it does. Is there something else I can feed to her which will also help her with the gland issue, if we move away from the Nutro?

TIA
~Susan

Last edited by MistysMom; 01-09-2020 at 02:14 PM.
MistysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've not put the dogs on weight control food, but in my experience of Luc naturally slimming down about 18-20lbs from when I adopted him (German Shepherd, so he had more to lose) and adopting a 23.5lb cat, they can lose weight on regular food with smaller portions. It's good you're counting calories.

I would suggest asking the vet for what her daily caloric intake should be to lose weight - then weighing her food to ensure she gets that much. In my experience feeding guidelines on food bags are overstated.

One other thought - has Misty's thyroid been tested? After Luc lost the weight, he regained around 3lbs and when we got him tested he was hypothyroid. He lost the weight once starting on meds. Might be one piece of the puzzle.

The other thought is, I know it's cold at the moment, but could you take her out for more walks? Daily walks of around 1 mile 6 days of the week and then a longer walk on the weekend? Beagles need a lot of exercise, especially one Misty's age (Xerxes is the same age). We aim to get the boys minimum 3k/day walks (I think that's around 2 miles) plus hikes on weekends which are shorter right now because the puppy is young - I also run with Xerxes on days where they're not 'quality' runs and I'm not doing speedwork or something. I'm not saying you have to run, but I figure the more exercise the better (but build volume gradually).

With anal glands...not sure. Neb used to need his expressed but thankfully grew out of it. Our vet is not a fan of bones (bad for teeth), but if your vet is on board, the bone (RAW! NOT COOKED, they'll splinter cooked) consumed harden their poops which I am thinking would help express their anal glands. I think? But aren't certain.

I feed Xerxes and Neb Fromm's. They seem to like it and do well on it, though it's fairly new to them.
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Nebuchandnezzar. I thought I posted earlier but it's not showing up. You could try to do a mile a day. It doesn't take long. I'm in Mn and it's very cold but I try to get out just for a short mile. Or I let my dogs run in the yard. I would also stop the table scraps. I use apples and blueberries for treats. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...-and-cant-eat/ Here's a list as a guideline. I feed Natures Recipe for my Beagle. She has allergies and I feed Fromm for my Golden. I think I would keep yours on the nutro. Did your vet recommend it? Your dog will eat when she gets hungry. I only had one issue with anal glands and my Vet took care of it. I haven't had any issues since I've been giving the apples and blueberries. The Natures Recipe also includes pumpkin. Good luck!
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My beagles have always eaten Fromm adult dog food. They have that twice a day with added canned pumpkin or plain yogurt and they love it. They don't eat any of the meaty type dog treats, only tiny dry cookies. Molly is about 19 pounds and Oliver is about 48 pounds, both healthy weights for their size. Fromm is a really good food and the like it. Molly eats half canned and half kibble and Oliver eats all Kibble.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

We feed Westmoreland (Costco) salmon and sweet potato. We feed 1/3 cup 3x a day buy having it drop piece by piece to the floor. Rascal gobbles any food put into her bowl. She gets 3 cut up baby carrots a day at noon. We have her anal gland expressed at the vets periodically (They are very gentle and she doesn't even yelp)
We try to get her out for a walk every day.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistysMom View Post
Misty is currently at 30 lbs and needs to be at most 25 lbs, ideally 22 lbs per the vet. She is 12" at the shoulder and just turned 4 years old. She is on Nutro's weight management kibble. I feed 330 calories of that a day and then her treats, including table food, run around another 200, for a total of around 530 calories a day. She is 12" at the shoulder and just turned 4 years old. We walk around 3 - 4 miles a week, even in the winter. We go back to the vet in May and I am working to have her around 25 lbs by then.

Here are my problems/questions:

1. She hates her Nutro..what can I add to help with that? Or is there a better tasting (to dogs) weight management food to feed?

2. The Nutro is also supposed to help her with her anal glands, and it does. Is there something else I can feed to her which will also help her with the gland issue, if we move away from the Nutro?

TIA
~Susan
My dog hates all kibble. I have been feeding Freshpet (5* food) which I purchase at Target in the refrigerated section since they have the lowest price vs a petstore. My dog loves it. I buy the 6lb rolls of chunky beef and slice off the amount for a feeding. I put the rest of the roll in a zip lock bag and put it in the refrigerator. I add low sodium canned green beans to the food as a low calorie filler. I would definitely be extremely carefull about adding table food. If there is any grease, spices, onions/garlic, salt they could cause health issues like pancreatitis etc. It also sets the expectation to have something added to the food. I never give my dog a whole treat... i break them in half.. she just wants a treat.. the size is irrelevant.
If your dog is only 12 inches at the withers then 25lbs is definitely seems too much weight. My dog is 15inches and 27lbs at 8yrs old.
I usually get her anal glands expressed 2x/yr at her comprehensive exam.
Hope this helps
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Smile

Thank you for all the advice and ideas. I have researched some more and have gone back to the vet with ideas and additional questions.
Squiggles, 12 year old Queen-of-all-she-surveys cat
Old 01-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Excellent! Let us know how Misty does.
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

By the way I see you're in Missouri...that's where Cassie was born then flown to me in California.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

We have some good breeders in Missouri. Who did you use?
Squiggles, 12 year old Queen-of-all-she-surveys cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement