Holiday Safety Reminder - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ljas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 993
Default Holiday Safety Reminder

It is tempting to want to share the goodies with our beagles, so here are some reminders from https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/un...t-safety-tips/

"In the spirit of attempting to prevent a Thanksgiving Day disaster in your home, here are some common exposures that we get called about during the week of Thanksgiving.

Fatty foods such as butter, bacon, fatty meat drippings, gravies and meat scraps may seem harmless but can pose very real threats of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that can result in clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and abdominal pain. Some breeds, such as miniature Schnauzers are very prone to developing pancreatitis but all dogs ingesting a large enough quantity of these foods are at risk. Symptoms may not be immediate and can occur up to 4 days after exposure.
Discarded food items such as corn cobs, discarded turkey trussing’s, and bones can result in an obstructive risk or gastrointestinal injury that have the potential of requiring surgical removal or repair.
Turkey Brine: Who would have thought that the recently popular trend of brining your turkey prior to Thanksgiving would be a risk to your pets?! When you remove the turkey, this salt-saturated solution can be very attractive to dogs and cats, who will readily lap it up resulting in salt toxicosis. Clinical signs are excessive thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea. This can potentially result in serious electrolyte changes and brain swelling.
Xylitol: Candies, desserts or other foods that are sweetened with an artificial sweetener called xylitol are dangerous to pets. Xylitol can result in a rapid drop in blood sugar in dogs along with liver damage. In the past, we saw xylitol limited to the ingredient lists of sugar-free gums, mints, and dental products but xylitol is now very commonly used in sugar-free or low-sugar baked goods, vitamins and even peanut butter! Even quantities that appear to be very small have the potential to quickly become life-threatening to dogs. Always check the label!
Raisins, currents and grapes found in some of our favorite Thanksgiving foods are a very serious concern for dogs as they have the risk of resulting in acute renal failure with even small ingestions.
Chocolates in our desserts or treats are dangerous to our pets. Remember that the darker the chocolate, the more serious the ingestion, and the less they will need to ingest to develop clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, tremors, increased heart rate along with potential seizures.
Nuts are high in fat and carry the risk of pancreatitis. Macadamia nuts are more serious as ingestions can result in vomiting, diarrhea, inability to rise or walk normally (they take on a drunken appearance and can even drag their rear limbs as if injured).
Holiday decorations are a concern for many reasons. The bouquet of lilies you received from your guests can result in acute renal failure in your cat (and is toxic to dogs too). Bittersweet flowers are many times included in fall floral arrangements and can cause gastrointestinal upset. Candles can result in burns and flameless candles contain batteries, that when ingested can result in gastrointestinal burns and corrosive injury."

Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!!!!!
ljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Mollys Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 4,948
Default

Back in the day when I didn't know better, my first beagle had pancreatitis at Thanksgiving, it is very scary and dangerous. Our beags get some veggies and maybe a tiny piece of meat. No gravy, no fatty meat.
__________________
Mom to Molly and Oliver. HUG YOUR HOUNDS!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mollys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Natty Boh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,965
Default

Thank you ljas!
__________________
Jan
Natty Boh 6-27-12 (Beagle Mix)
Shelby 9-2-14 (German Shepherd)
Natty Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
hiway star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 31
Default

there is another reason to avoid over indulging your pets during the holidays.
here comes a story, you're probably going to laugh at me. i swear i meant well, i just didn't think it through.

about 15 yrs ago, i had 2 beagles, and when christmas came i thought, "hey, i love my dogs, today should be special for them too." so on christmas day, i was giving them lots of treats and little bits of this and that. well, before long, they had eaten so much they became little fudge factories, and pooped all over the house because they couldn't hold it in. i spent christmas afternoon doing 3 things: cleaning up doggie diahreah, washing my hands and cooking the feast.
i loved my dogs with all my heart and just wanted them to have a super happy day. it didn't work out like i had hoped.
__________________
Try looking into that place where you dare not look. You'll find me there, staring back at you.
hiway star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 757
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway star View Post
there is another reason to avoid over indulging your pets during the holidays.
here comes a story, you're probably going to laugh at me. i swear i meant well, i just didn't think it through.

about 15 yrs ago, i had 2 beagles, and when christmas came i thought, "hey, i love my dogs, today should be special for them too." so on christmas day, i was giving them lots of treats and little bits of this and that. well, before long, they had eaten so much they became little fudge factories, and pooped all over the house because they couldn't hold it in. i spent christmas afternoon doing 3 things: cleaning up doggie diahreah, washing my hands and cooking the feast.
i loved my dogs with all my heart and just wanted them to have a super happy day. it didn't work out like i had hoped.
Is it bad I chuckled? Neb has gotten into cat food when he was younger and MAN! I get that overfeeding diarrhea.
__________________
Neb, Beagle mix, born April 2008
Xerxes, Beagle, born 2016
Agis, German Shepherd/Rottweiler mix, born August 2019
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum