Eating Problems - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eating Problems

Bailey is quickly approaching 6 months (on the 22nd) and ever since getting her in September, she’s been AWFUL when it comes to food. We feed her at 7a and 5p on the DOT, and she seems to always act like she’s never been given a meal, if that makes sense. She gobbles it down within seconds of it dropping to her bowl, and immediately she’ll try and run to her crate to throw it up.

The vet says it’s normal and she will grow out of it, but I really don’t believe them.. I learned to feed her and then give her water a few minutes later, because she used to throw up into her water bowl if I’d let her drink right after eating. It makes me so sad because she gets embarrassed and tries to hide from me, but I just want to help her.

I’ve tried hand feeding her, putting her on a short leash in the kitchen and scattering her food all over, tried moistening her dry food so it’s mushy... nothing seems to do the trick. She just doesn’t want to chew it, and I worry as she’s not getting hardly any of the nutrients from her food. 😞

Same thing goes for treats, she just will not chew them. I just want my poor baby to feel better.
rfran20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

We feed our beagle only with puzzle toys. He scarfed down bowls of food in nanoseconds, and we adopted him as an adult. A trainer recommended giving him all his food in puzzle toys. It's really slowed down his eating. The balls that dole out food when he tips them or roll them are the best for us, but we also use a snuffle mat (I made one for him) and other kinds of puzzle toys when he's getting non-kibble food. Perhaps that might work for you puppy? It'll allow her time to digest each bite as she needs to take time to get the next bite.
Lansky's House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansky's House View Post
We feed our beagle only with puzzle toys. He scarfed down bowls of food in nanoseconds, and we adopted him as an adult. A trainer recommended giving him all his food in puzzle toys. It's really slowed down his eating. The balls that dole out food when he tips them or roll them are the best for us, but we also use a snuffle mat (I made one for him) and other kinds of puzzle toys when he's getting non-kibble food. Perhaps that might work for you puppy? It'll allow her time to digest each bite as she needs to take time to get the next bite.
I will absolutely give it a shot! Any recommendations for puzzle toys? I want something durable as she’s quite the chewer!! I appreciate the advice! 🙂

Old 11-09-2019, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I need to caveat this by saying Lansky is not a chewer, however reviews for many of these say they're fine for chewers.

Our most used one is the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Snoop Dog Toy. It fits about a cup of kibble in there, and Lansky has figured out how to roll it and tip it to get the kibble out. He's good at it, but it still take him time to get all the food out. Search for this on Chewy (I'd post a link but I'm too new a member to do so)

I saw a bunch of snuffle mats online, but decided to make my own. If you do a search on snuffle mat, you'll see a variety of them. This is good for hiding food in, and because there isn't a hole for it to come out, you can hid bigger foods, if you want. I'll use a scoop of kibble and then throw in a piece or two of cheese for an extra treat.

There are plenty of more complicated puzzle toys, but I think these would be great to start with.
Lansky's House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansky's House View Post
I need to caveat this by saying Lansky is not a chewer, however reviews for many of these say they're fine for chewers.

Our most used one is the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Snoop Dog Toy. It fits about a cup of kibble in there, and Lansky has figured out how to roll it and tip it to get the kibble out. He's good at it, but it still take him time to get all the food out. Search for this on Chewy (I'd post a link but I'm too new a member to do so)

I saw a bunch of snuffle mats online, but decided to make my own. If you do a search on snuffle mat, you'll see a variety of them. This is good for hiding food in, and because there isn't a hole for it to come out, you can hid bigger foods, if you want. I'll use a scoop of kibble and then throw in a piece or two of cheese for an extra treat.

There are plenty of more complicated puzzle toys, but I think these would be great to start with.
Thank you!!!!! I will update you once I make a purchase and use it for some time!!! 🙂 I hadn’t heard of a snuffle mat before, so perhaps I’ll try that instead since she loves to play “find it” for treats! 🙂
Old 11-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was going to say, yes, we have that issue with Xerxes, so we use a slow feeder - I think puzzle feeders are great but we have two dogs and the other one is pushy about food. (And two cats, one of which will try to steal food off of our plates so Xerxes would be outta luck)

If you have one dog, I think a puzzle feeder is a great option!
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
I was going to say, yes, we have that issue with Xerxes, so we use a slow feeder - I think puzzle feeders are great but we have two dogs and the other one is pushy about food. (And two cats, one of which will try to steal food off of our plates so Xerxes would be outta luck)

If you have one dog, I think a puzzle feeder is a great option!
LOL, I have 2 cats as well, one of which also enjoys stealing pieces of kibble that Bailey doesn’t notice flew out of her bowl... I only have Bails & my two cats, so I’ll definitely be trying out this puzzle feeder. 🙂
Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

One other option is - you're in an apartment right? Do you have a yard or stairs even? You could lay a track and teach Bailey to track (beagle nose!) and because there's separation she can't eat too quickly.
RIP Luc, German Shepherd mix, July 2003-December 2018
RIP Teagan, German Shepherd
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I dribble kibble out of a puzzle ball. Hubby used to put part in Rascals' bowl and the rest in a kong. Now just dibbles it out piece by piece after she finishes the kong. We broke her feedings into 3x a day because she gobbles too fast. She chews up her apple and carrots though.
techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement