Well that is it - Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums
Go Back   Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums > Beagle World > Health and Welfare

OurBeagleWorld.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Well that is it

Camping is apparently dangerous, at least in 2019!

Neb ate from the fire pit on our May backpacking trip and puked in the tent the first night.

This weekend we were camped at a private forest in Ontario for Toby's 50 mile trail race. Neb is nosing around the campsite Friday evening but we didn't think much of it.

...until he puked in the tent at 2am. Keep in mind Toby is a light sleeper and had to wake up at 4am to run 50 miles starting at 6am! And Xerxes tried to eat it so Toby had to hold him back while I went to get some stuff to clean it up.

I told Toby I'd feed the dogs once I saw him through Aid Station 2 and the 12k mark (there is no Aid Station 1, long story). Neb puked bile at that aid station while we waited for Toby then we went back to our campsite (which was on course) and I decided not to feed Neb for that reason. Neb drank a bunch of water and projectile vomited it up.

I was like, great, maybe he's puking because he's hungry, that does happen. Or so I hear.

So I offer him a dental treat, as I thought it would be low calorie. Not interested. NEB NOT INTERESTED IN FOOD????? Unheard of!

I notice Neb is shivering and start to worry about pancreatitis. Did I mention he'd had explosive diarrhea that morning? Still, I think, he's too up and about compared to when he'd had it before. It moved faster when he had that.

Still, I am sufficiently concerned to bundle the dogs into the car and drive 30 minutes into town, calling our vet on the way, and pick up some children's gravol, force it down his throat, then return to go out to the 40k turnaround to cheer for Toby.

Neb is drooling and not in high spirits. Has a kind-of formed pooped. Toby comes in and says 'What's wrong with him?' and while I didn't want to say anything and worry him, I say, he's still puking.

Meet Toby at the next aid station. Neb pukes bile while we wait. We get looks. I get Toby's stuff ready and after he leaves we go back to Aid Station 2 (out and back course) and settle in for a long wait. Our campsite is like maybe 400m away but that's too far for Neb to walk. Give Neb some water while we wait which he projectile vomits. He is shivering and people are concerned and I'm trying not to freak out but am worried. Trying to leave Neb be as I think he likely wants peace and quiet. It is around 10C and starts to rain. I put on his and Xerxes's raincoats.

Toby comes in, has 12k to go, we go to the finish line. A huge, HUGE thunderstorm rolls in, so I put the dogs in the car and wait. Toby finishes, showers, we go back to the campsite. It is raining off and on and Neb doesn't want to come under the tarp. He'd much prefer to be miserable. We are worried.

Go to bed early, let Neb sleep on our air mattress and tuck him under the sleeping blanket.

I get up at 4:30 (we went to bed early), and walk down to Aid Station 2 as 100 milers are still on course. Hang out there, one of the volunteers assures me pancreatitis is slow moving which is what I'd thought.

Get back, let Neb out of the tent. He is bright and chipper! It was 'food' poisoning! I feed 1/2 breakfast which he eats with gusto. Keeps that and water down.

Pic of Neb this morning by the lake. We're thinking of getting a basket muzzle to put on him when we camp as this is TWICE this year!
Attached Thumbnails
Well that is it-1-1-.jpg  
Timothy and Cordelia, kitty cat terrors!
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Oh my gosh! Do you have any idea what he ate? Perhaps give him boiled chicken and rice until his tummy settles down. You guys had quite an adventure...
Cassie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow!
Autumn's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2019, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

So Neb peed on the entryway rug last night while we were sleeping. He ate normally today, good appetite, Toby THOUGHT drank normally.

But I had an appointment at the vet to take the cats in for their annuals that I switched to Nebbers. Just as well because I got home and there'd been an accident on the rug in the bedroom. Both very dilute, very watery, but still.

Took him out and he peed a ton - and I got home at 5, Toby took him out at 11:30 so it's not like he was waiting the full day!

I have been increasingly concerned about his kidneys. So I took our handy-dandy pill collecting container with us to the vet and left a bit early to walk him once we got there. He hopped out of the car and started peeing on the hedge away from me so I couldn't see and grabbed the container and stuck my hand under there and got pee ALL over my hand. But - I did get urine!

Went in. They knew what was going on, but I went over everything with the vet. They thought he likely was having the accidents because he was so dehydrated from puking and diarrhea that he's been overconsuming water. They did to what I assume was a urine specific gravity test and found his urine was abnormally dilute - below general kidney failure levels - but while there could be kidney issues they think signs point to him being overhydrated. We're giving him wet food with water added, the idea being that if he gets more fluids with his food he'll drink less.

I hope it works. Trying not to worry.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

He was still drinking a lot all night and morning had huge pees so I took the day off (great when I have just started a new job) and brought in a urine sample (NOT getting peed on) and getting bloodwork done on him. Watch it's just him taking time to recover. I just worry. With all the losses we've had in the last 2 years I don't want to take chances. We've lost 1 dog and 2 cats. All had full vet care, and in the case of our dog Luc, it prolonged his life by quite a bit. But it's no guarantee. He had diarrhea again last night after his first normal bowel movement in the afternoon yesterday.

His urine is being sent for a full analysis and culture, it showed some white blood cells and bacteria but it was so dilute they couldn't draw any conclusions. I honestly don't think a UTI makes a lot of sense right after being so physically ill but what do I know.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hope Neb is better soon

techie
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Aww, poor guy. How is he doing today? Have you heard anything back about the culture test? Absolutely beautiful picture by the way. My husband and I LOVE camping although we upgraded to a pop up this year. Went to Killbear and Samuel De Champlain ☺️
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
Aww, poor guy. How is he doing today? Have you heard anything back about the culture test? Absolutely beautiful picture by the way. My husband and I LOVE camping although we upgraded to a pop up this year. Went to Killbear and Samuel De Champlain ☺️
Yes, we got the culture results today, and he has a bad UTI! HOW! Well, we had our vet fax over a prescription to a vet in Huntsville (we're staying in cabins by Algonquin for my mom's 75th celebration) and showed up 15 minutes before they closed and he got a long-acting antibiotic shot. We recheck his urine in 3 weeks. Poor guy.

He had fun hiking after though!

I love Killbear! I haven't been to Samuel De Champlain, how'd you find it? We're coming to Algonquin but going to Achray on the east side for Thanksgiving - Friday to Tuesday - can't wait! One month to go!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
I hope Neb is better soon

techie
Thanks techie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement