Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums

Beagle Forum : Our Beagle World Forums (https://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/)
-   Health and Welfare (https://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/health-welfare/)
-   -   Senior dogs (https://www.ourbeagleworld.com/forums/health-welfare/232734-senior-dogs.html)

techie 07-29-2019 04:24 PM

Senior dogs

Rascal is 11 or 12. Do their legs get crookeder as they age? I also have noticed when she goes out to piddle, she doesn't delicately lift her left leg like she used too.

I also think she is having trouble seeing:frown:
techie

Cassie 07-29-2019 05:04 PM

Since cassie is only 7.5 yrs I dont know but even now she seems stiffer than before. Particularly when she gets up it looks like she is having some issue until she gets moving and when she pees it seems she doesn't fully squat. Im not giving her any supplements for it. My husband says we should get an xray but thats only a diagnostic tool...not a treatment.

Nebuchadnezzar 07-29-2019 05:50 PM

I notice that Neb (11) trembles sometimes now in his legs. I'm honestly not sure exactly why.

He seems fairly limber, but then - I may have just forgotten what he was like when he was younger :)

Mollys Mom 07-30-2019 07:10 AM

Oliver is 9 and Molly is 13. Oliver is considered a senior and Molly is geriatric. They definitely have some joint issues at times, limping, legs shaking etc. This is from my vet's website about "geriatric" dogs:

While it is hard to think about, your dog is entering the final stages of life. Due to advanced age, geriatric dogs should have wellness examinations performed at least twice yearly. Dogs with underlying medical conditions may need to be evaluated more frequently. Review any medications and/or supplements with your veterinarian at each visit. The veterinary staff will make specific recommendations for booster immunizations for your pet. During the wellness visits, your veterinarian will be specifically addressing any changes that may be suggestive of discomfort or an underlying medical condition. Symptoms requiring investigation include changes in your dog’s: behavior (e.g.: pacing at night), comfort and energy level, elimination habits, hearing, vision, water consumption, and appetite. Medical conditions at this age are primarily related to an aging body: kidney, dental, and heart disease, arthritis, dementia, and cancer. Laboratory testing, to evaluate organ function, provides indicators of your pet’s overall health. Your veterinarian will discuss a treatment plan with you that addresses your aging companion’s specific needs. Continue your home preventive medicine program outlined by your veterinarian: daily tooth brushing, regular exercise, and prophylactic medications for heartworm, fleas, ticks, and intestinal parasites. Regular heartworm testing and fecal examinations detect infections to keep your dog and your family parasite free. You should keep an open discussion between your family and your veterinary team regarding concerns you may have about how your aging pet is progressing through this life stage. Your veterinary team wants to help guide you through making the best choices for your canine family member.

techie 07-30-2019 04:29 PM

We give Rascal Glosoamine DS level 1 (brand same as Cosamine) Dave also pulls her around the block to keep her bowels moving. I will Google geriatric dogs too and suggest 6 month visits too. Too bad their isn't Medicare for dogs! I know about health insurance for dogs.
We are trying to make our money last the rest of our lives. It's hard because we don't know how many years that is :D

techie

Nebuchadnezzar 07-30-2019 05:08 PM

Interesting about the joints and legs shaking Molly's Mom! Perhaps that's Neb's thing. He was on glucosamine years ago when Luc was (it didn't help Luc so we stopped it), perhaps we should try it again.

He gets once/year check ups, but full blood panels to monitor. And he's been in recently outside of his annual too, so he does get seen regularly.

I'm not sure if at 11 he's a senior or geriatric - he's part husky, a bit of lab too plus beagle on his mom's side, dad unknown, so from that mix of breeds...? Just under 40lbs.

Cassie 07-30-2019 05:35 PM

Cassie gets 2x/yr checks through the plan with Banfield. She's only 7.5yrs but Ive seen stiffness and mild back leg shaking when she gets up but once she starts moving her walk looks normal. Im hoping it doesn't get worse. She weighs 25.6lbs.

Mollys Mom 07-30-2019 05:38 PM

This site has some interesting info by breed

https://www.petplace.com/article/dog...idered-senior/

Nebuchadnezzar 07-30-2019 06:41 PM

Oh geez according to that Neb is older than senior! But I think he's like the human equivalent of 65 - that's senior, not geriatric, surely. Hmm.

Autumn's Mom 07-30-2019 07:40 PM

Interesting article Molly's Mom. Autumn will be 7 in Oct. Even as I write that I can't believe it. Beagles have a longer lifespan. Goldens is shorter. Goodness I would hate to end of losing both of mine at the same time. That would not be good! Didn't realize how old all of your Beagles were. Popcorn how old are you?